Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I loved the first Shrek and parts of the second one. Boy did it get shit by the end though.
  • Tempy wrote:
    So it’s basically a non-horny Kill la Kill?

@nickMD Martyrs? That’s the obvious one

It’s not a film I’d describe as “non-horny”...

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I've been on a right French extreme thing recently, rewatched Seul Contre Tous, Irreversible and Baise Moi. Really liked SCT, what a powerhouse of a film. Can anyone recommend my next? I've seen Martyrs, 90% of Inside, and Sheitan. Frontier(s)? Ils?

I'll be hitting up the dark media thread with requests.

This is probably a paging Dr.DS kinda moment.

Theres loads but it's not necessarily extreme.

I'll knock up a list when less stoned. Try Calvaire, Angst and Dans ma peau for now.
  • Watch Raw Nick, it's superb.
  • Cinty is Shrek's biggest fan.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    So it’s basically a non-horny Kill la Kill?

@nickMD Martyrs? That’s the obvious one

Less horny? also DC thoughts in the music thread please!

• I will go out on a limb and say that Toy Story 4 is the worst of a glorious quadruple, but (and perhaps predictably) the most stunning to look at. 

I use the term 'worst' loosely, it's not terrible by any means.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Cinty is Shrek's biggest fan.

Get fucked.
  • Shrek was never good!
  • Oh man, if someone could find that legendary Shrek rant.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Back from Aladdin and was pleasantly surprised. Of all the Disney remakes this was by far the best I’ve seen and I actually thought Will did a good job of the Genie. Enjoyable stuff, well made but nothing amazing. Pretty much what I expect from all of these cash cows.
  • Tempy wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    So it’s basically a non-horny Kill la Kill? @nickMD Martyrs? That’s the obvious one
    Less horny? also DC thoughts in the music thread please!

To be honest, I've not watched Kill la Kill so I'll hedge my bets with a "probably".

To give you a frame of reference (definitely a spoiler, whilst simultaneously telling you nothing of the plot) - In Fabric has a scene where...
    Spoiler:
    So, it's a fairly niche kind of horny I guess.

Also, DC thoughts in music thread as requested...
  • Oh man, if someone could find that legendary Shrek rant.

He should have submitted that as part of his job application.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Been a few weeks since seeing Rocketman but it's really had it's hooks in me sugar bears, and well, Kermode can articulate things much more better.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I've been on a right French extreme thing recently, rewatched Seul Contre Tous, Irreversible and Baise Moi. Really liked SCT, what a powerhouse of a film. Can anyone recommend my next? I've seen Martyrs, 90% of Inside, and Sheitan. Frontier(s)? Ils? I'll be hitting up the dark media thread with requests. This is probably a paging Dr.DS kinda moment.
    Theres loads but it's not necessarily extreme. I'll knock up a list when less stoned. Try Calvaire, Angst and Dans ma peau for now.
    Aye Dans Ma Peau, Angst (though it's Austrian).  
    Upvote for 
    Spoiler:
    Haute Tension, Trouble Every Day, Anatomy of Hell.  Gaspar Noe in general, but if you've done SCT and Irr. you're clear of the heaviest stuff.  Ils and Frontieres have their moments but rate a rung down for me.  À ma sœur! is worth a shout.

Funny Games (original, also German), probably Benny's Video while we are on Haneke.   Also try Tras el Cristal, Spanish and about Germans, so not very French.  There's a really heavy and very long pysch-arthouse horror in that mode the name of which escapes me; if I can think of it I'll add it.  It's pretty fucking nasty, and boring.  Sellin' it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Seen and got Angst, it's great. Am all about that French currently though.

Martyrs I've also seen before but only the once, so could re-watch. Was generally looking for new (to me) things.

Have added all non-French recs to the list for when I'm clear of this current phase.

I actually have Enter the Void on DVD, never watched, so I'll give that a shot.

Cheers gang
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Remembered it, Melancholie Der Engel. Don't watch it, or read about it first if you do. Seriously.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Citizenfour

Ouch.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Remembered it, Melancholie Der Engel. Don't watch it, or read about it first if you do. Seriously.

Geez, reads like a laugh a minute viewing.... All 2 and a half hours worth...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's a German nihilist lolfest
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    German nihilist

Is this a German who pees standing up?
  • Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Shut the fuck up Dante I mean Donny.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    German nihilist
    Is this a German who pees standing up?
    That's vertspinkle
  • Just watched The Terminator again.
    Still a brilliant movie.

Got me thinking though about how it tapped into the minds of the audience at the time.
    Computers were coming out of labs and into the average work place. They were there and given a task would achieve it or die trying. Like the Terminator.

Come the sequel computers had developed, AI was becoming a thing. The idea of communicating with them and them adapting was real if crude. The T1000 communicated and shape shifted but was still very much a singular machine.

It led to me thinking about this new movie.
    No doubt it will be crap, they all have been since T2.
    Where we are now though, the idea of a singular robot (or iron filings exo, solid endo) is so, so simplistic.
    In the world of deep fakes, false news, social media the concept of an AI taking a physical, humanoid form to kill one person almost seems like show boating.

While I can happily go back to the first two movies and treat them as from their time I feel a modern movie, set in modern day (which it appears to be) just doesnt really work.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m going to give it benefit of the doubt for now. If only because Cameron is back on board. Believe he co wrote and is producing and he’s claiming it’s the real sequel to T2. He knows as much as us that the other stuff was shite and he’s pretty much saying ignore the other films.
  • The T-800 and T-1000 models worked perfectly as unstoppable killing machines that were eventually stopped, anything more advanced would probably get an eye-roll anyway.  Whatever it was in T3 with the inflatable wabs?  Nope. They'd be better off doing a rubber-skinned 600 series prequelsequel than attempting to present anything snazzier than mimetic polyalloy imo.
  • Going by the trailer they’re doing nanobot skins over solid exoskeletons this time. Feels like a step backwards from your liquid metal chap.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!