Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    The always excellent Accented Cinema channel has put up a 50 Chinese-language movies to watch before you die list. Well worth checking it out and there's now no excuses. I expect everyone here to watch them all and write a report. Chop chop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5up8nHDfddM
    Thanks man. I’ve seen quite a few of those. Glad to see Yi Yi and Farewell My Concubine in there. Just when I thought it was finished and they had missed my favourite... it appeared as their favourite! Woohoo! Although I’d put Chungking Express in there too.

Yeah, Chungking Express is also a good shout. You could also have 2046, Devil on Your Doorstep, To Live as well as Lust, Caution on there. There's a lot "missing" but I don't know which movies I'd personally remove to add them. I also have a weakness for Once Upon a Time in China 3, rather than the first 2. I know they're "better" movies, but I find the third one the most interesting. There's probably a load more that I could think of.
  • Ah shit, To Live is top tier, forgot about that! Need to see Lust, Caution.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • This is why you're the best.
  • Grindhouse where they literally cut chunks of the film out of death proof and planet terror are really good ways of watching those movies.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And you get nic cage too
  • Angry Birds 2 is terrible
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The age of Disney is truly upon us. As of today, Toy Story 4 is now the fifth Disney film this year to earn over a billion dollars.

That's fucking scary. Here's the list -

“Aladdin,” “Avengers: Endgame,” “Captain Marvel,” “The Lion King,” “Toy Story 4”
  • Aladdin and lion king make a billy and people thing Disney will stop live action soon? Pffft
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, it's fucking fantasy. Especially coz Mulan is up next and those Chinese dollars are going to go nuts. Live action is going nowhere.
  • Lion King isn't live action!!!!

I don't know why that bothers me so much but it does.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    The always excellent Accented Cinema channel has put up a 50 Chinese-language movies to watch before you die list. Well worth checking it out and there's now no excuses. I expect everyone here to watch them all and write a report. Chop chop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5up8nHDfddM

Thanks man. I’ve seen quite a few of those. Glad to see Yi Yi and Farewell My Concubine in there.

Just when I thought it was finished and they had missed my favourite... it appeared as their favourite! Woohoo! Although I’d put Chungking Express in there too.
    Not in the video because it's probably too recent, but did you ever ended up watching Shadow, @Elf? I think it was you that mentioned it earlier this year.

That had some of the most beautiful shots I've ever seen.
  • Yeah I mentioned wanting to watch it. Periodically checked cinema listings but either it didn’t show over here or, more likely, I missed it. Dammit.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It wasn't easy to catch here either, it was only a small art house cinema that was showing it for a couple nights. Too bad, the visuals are great on the big screen, the whole soundtrack is good too, but not that great for cinema. It's pretty minimalistic, so having a couple behind us (there were only 6 people total) who were more interested in each other than the film was a bit annoying. They were way past their teenage years, so I don't know how they didn't understand it would annoy other people. They left when I asked them to keep it down a bit.

It just came out on blu ray this week here, so you could watch it that way!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, it's fucking fantasy. Especially coz Mulan is up next and those Chinese dollars are going to go nuts. Live action is going nowhere.
    Yeah, about that...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49373276
  • Yeah but she is hot.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, about that...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49373276

Seems a silly thing to do, but is twitter actual the good barometer of public opinion it claims it is? Aladdin and lion King were both ridiculed on twitter and that didn't hurt their box office. Given twitter doesn't have a Chinese presence, this might make no dent.

And if I'm honest, based on the Chinese chefs who worked with me about 8 years ago, they tend to be very pro China government. I'm not saying that represents all of China, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a sizable portion of the public who agree with her.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, about that... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49373276
    Seems a silly thing to do, but is twitter actual the good barometer of public opinion it claims it is? Aladdin and lion King were both ridiculed on twitter and that didn't hurt their box office. Given twitter doesn't have a Chinese presence, this might make no dent. And if I'm honest, based on the Chinese chefs who worked with me about 8 years ago, they tend to be very pro China government. I'm not saying that represents all of China, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a sizable portion of the public who agree with her.

Yeah, there's no story here. Even if she was anti-Gov she couldn't come out and publicly say it. She's being smart and doesn't want to end up not getting work for the next 10 years.  I'll reconsider if Goober can find a single HK superstar who has publicly condemned what is going on.
  • And, look, she wasn't supporting police brutality. She was commenting on a story about a Chinese mainland journo that got attacked. Saying "this is bad" about attacking a journo by protestors = / = support of police brutality.

tl;dr

there's no nuance nowadays. It's all with us or against us and even stepping out of line slightly is the equivalent of supporting a brutal authoritarian state (which the CCP is, in case anyone though I was supporting them). Most of these people know shit about what is going on, let's be honest. It's just an excuse to shit on China. I expect it from idiots on twitter, but I didn't expect it from some people here.
  • She has come out and said she supports HK police and that, like I said, where she is being smart about her career and the safety of her family. Would anyone else here genuinely risk their parents and siblings in this situation?
  • I guess the point is you can agree with her stance on a pragmatic level but it is certainly to the detriment to a lot of people who’ve got hurt (especially as those who have got hurt are - as far as I can tell- the minority class vs a bigger class)
  • Except it's not necessarily to their detriment. In Chinese culture, face is a big thing. Calling someone out publicly forces them onto the defensive, and gives them no room for compromise or negotiation. This makes a positive outcome less likely, not more likely. If everyone came out and slammed the Chinese gov now, it wouldn't necessarily make HK safer, it might lead to a more brutal crackdown as the Chinese mainland gov would have to react to show it was still committed and not wrong in the first place. 

This is why I don't trust politicians who openly call the Chinese gov out. Not because they are wrong, but because they are showing they either don't understand how to negotiate with the Chinese, or they are putting domestic approval ahead of the lives and safety of the people they claim to care about.
  • Why say anything though?

Maybe she feels its not getting represented properly in Western news.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Wow, I was just saying there is some backlash over the movie because of her comments, that might affect the box office, in response to regs post.

Fair point. I'd guess there was pressure put onto some people, I'm not 100% sure. It's worth noting that famously anti-CCP, or just critical, artists such as Zhang Yimou, Wen Jiang, Tang Wei etc. are now back in the mainstream and very prominent, even though they're undoubtedly still very free-minded.. You play the game, and refusing to say anything can be inferred to be an implicit criticism. Again, Dante, would you step out and say something now if it risked the safety or yourself and your family / loved ones?
  • Wow, I was just saying there is some backlash over the movie because of her comments, that might affect the box office, in response to regs post.

Bullshit.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fuck off, I saw an article on the BBC news main page (which I generally look at at least once a day) about some controversy about mulan, saw regs post about Disney domination and Mulan coming up soon, and thought it might be interesting to him. I actually thought she had condemned China at first and thought that would be bad for the Chinese box office take, but it's the opposite really.

Tldr; I was sharing an article I thought Reg might like, relating to a topic he was talking about.
  • Buuuuuuulllshhit.

Reg: Bad for those Chinese dollars

Goober: Posts link to article where star supports CCP.

Also Goober: I thought the article implied it would be bad for the Chinese box office.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    On my initial read, prior to post, yes. I very briefly skin read and thought it said she had condemned the Chinese government, and the calls for a boycott were from the Chinese. When I read it properly obviously the opposite was true. I still thought it would be interesting so posted it.

I read Reg as saying those "Chinese Dollars" would be great for Disney as the Chinese market would go nuts for the film.

There is no ulterior motive for me posting the link. I'm not sure why you think there is.
  • When I read it properly obviously the opposite was true.

Then why the "about that..." part?

That's what makes absolutely zero sense, and still doesn't make sense after the explanation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!