Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Great White Silence today. Documented film of the Scott expedition. It was a prescient act for Scott to organise this. Most of the material covers the voyage from NZ, the months spent prepping at the base and there's quite a bit of wildlife footage which would have been quite something for the time.

Very much of its time - the mascot was a cat called n-word for example. And there are examples of interventions with the wild life that wouldn't be done with modern studies.

Extremely well shot and the restoration is magnificent - there is quite a bit of detail to be seen. There's a new music track which is Eno-esque at times. The presentation is ahead of its time too with some use of animation and maps / long range shots to show progress. Worth a watch.

I watched it at standard def (DVD) on a CRT and it looked great. Will be playing the BluRay version in a day or so to see if there is any difference.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    My picks from that list:

Pan’s Labyrinth
    Lost in Translation
    Spirited Away
    City of God
    Memento
    Donnie Darko
    Up
    Birdman
    Before Sunset and Before Midnight
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, BEST MOVIE OF DECADE

That would be pretty much identical to my list.

I’d swap out Up for Wall-E, Birdman for Dancer In the Dark, and Memento for Infernal Affairs. I’d try and find a space for Punch Drunk Love, too. Maybers.

But that’s as close to a perfect list for me as I’ve seen anyone put up here. Elf has the class.
  • People complain about the oscars, but if that's the list pulled together by a magazine and critics then maybe those old white bigots running hollywood aren't all that bad...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Think that's a little unfair to us old white bigots.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1219194812290732034
    Netflix UK getting Studio Ghibli films over the next few months.
  • I can see Fury Road as that pick. It's a film film. It's cinema in its purest form. Showing how expert use of a camera and production design can create something special.
    Sure there's films with deeper stories and themes but Fury Road is so neat in its purity.

I'd have to have a think about what my list would be.
  • Take Shelter
    Memories of Murder
    Dogtooth
    The Master
    We Need to Talk About Kevin
    Pulse/Kairo
    The Handmaiden
    Enemy
    Kill List
    Song of the Sea
    Silence
    Nightcrawler
    Duke of Burgundy

No real order or number, just a list of films that are good. Empire list feels very safe.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    These are my choices from the shortlist:

Pan's Labyrinth
    No Country for Old Men
    Whiplash
    Spirited Away
    Interstellar
    Children of Men
    Memento
    Arrival
    Donnie Darko
    Scott Pilgrim Vs the World
    In Bruges
    The Hunt for the Wilderpeople
    Drive
    Wall-e
    Sideways
    Hot Fuzz
    Birdman
    Dunkirk
    Phantom Thread
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    A fan of Moot's five picks, trim the fat and all that.
    Forces introspection I think.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I can see Fury Road as that pick. It's a film film. It's cinema in its purest form. Showing how expert use of a camera and production design can create something special. Sure there's films with deeper stories and themes but Fury Road is so neat in its purity. I'd have to have a think about what my list would be.

The technical aspects of that film are undoubtedly impressive but calling the result something special is generous. It doesn't seem pure to me, simply lacking in other elements.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Take Shelter
    Memories of Murder
    Dogtooth
    The Master
    We Need to Talk About Kevin
    Pulse/Kairo
    The Handmaiden
    Enemy
    Kill List
    Song of the Sea
    Silence
    Nightcrawler
    Duke of Burgundy

No real order or number, just a list of films that are good. Empire list feels very safe.

Great list.  The Wailing?
  • Maybe, yep, I had thought about it, as well
    as The Skin I Live In. I agree with Elf’s last three picks (I didn’t realise the Before Trilogy has received any ire, thought it was universally praised?) and yourself, and Reg. He loved TSN far more than me, but it’s Fincher’s best.

Always struck by how dominated these lists are by Men, and Hollywood, which is really a systematic issue. I keep thinking back to Bong Joon Ho saying he wasn’t surprised at the lack of previous Korean winners because the oscars is “very much a local festival” which kills me every time. So excited for Parasite that despite having it downloaded for ages i’m waiting to go and see it at the GFT. My man’s done no wrong, ever.
  • Nightcrawler is a good shout.
    That would feature highly on the list I can't be arsed to make.
  • I still don't get the love for that film at all.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My picks from that Empire list would include

LoTR Trilogy - pure cinematic brilliance. Would love to see it on the big screen again actually.
    Bladerunner 2049 - a worthy sequel to one of my favourite ever films.
    Interstellar - big idea scifi done well. Love the scope and the science faction.
    No Country for Old Men - stellar cast and one the best bad guys I've seen ever - a great peak at an alternative world that may sit alongside us.
    The Dark Knight - there is the great cinematic creation that is Ledger's Joker but there's also a great supporting cast, not least of all Oldman backing the notion of anarchy as a force.
    Arrival More big idea sci-fi which is prob my favourite genre. Makes one think of language differently - anything that makes you think about things like that has to be a good thing.

Sideways and Dunkirk maybe - but I'd need to see them again. And Django Unchained is such a rollicking good romp it's hard to discount.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • LoTR trilogy due a 4K remaster soon. Supposed to be this year from what I’ve read, but next year is 20th anniversary so wouldn’t be surprised if they hang on for that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'll add Prisoners, Calvary, Head-On, Act of Killing, Vera Drake, Rust & Bone, Shutter Island, Tyrannosaur, Amour.  Under the Skin has been mentioned.  I'm probably forgetting plenty of films I loved but I can't find Davy's one per year thread.  Or maybe there wasn't one.  Or maybe there was and it wasn't Davy's.

Edit: It's a love or hate pick, but I loved Dogville so I'll add that.
  • Jesus nearly 20 years since lotr? I feel old.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Enjoying reading these lists and updated my watchlist with some picks I've not yet seen. Trimming the fat is not my strong point but here's my best of the last 20.

Infernal Affairs
    Oldboy
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    The Lives of Others
    Hot Fuzz
    Dead Man's Shoes
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
    The Social Network
    The Raid
    Nightcrawler
    Whiplash
    Green Room
    The Handmaiden
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Oldboy and hot fuzz.

Great shouts!
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll add Prisoners, Calvary, Head-On, Act of Killing, Vera Drake, Rust & Bone, Shutter Island, Tyrannosaur, Amour.  Under the Skin has been mentioned.  I'm probably forgetting plenty of films I loved but I can't find Davy's one per year thread.  Or maybe there wasn't one.  Or maybe there was and it wasn't Davy's. Edit: It's a love or hate pick, but I loved Dogville so I'll add that.

Good shouts there. Tyrannosaur is a bloody hard film to forget.
  • The Lives of Others is a great film, have meant to revisit it after coming back from Berlin.
  • The Lives of Others and Dogville would certainly both be on my list.
  • A list of films from that list that I've actually seen and I think are over-rated (could be just by a bit, or a lot). Top 100 is still a big old list so it doesn't necessarily stop some of them making it, just odd to me they're as high as they are:

Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Dark Knight
    Inception
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Lost in Translation
    Whiplash
    La La Land
    Kill Bill Volume 1
    Avengers Assemble
    Arrival
    Up
    Avengers: Endgame
    Blade Runner 2049
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Wall-e
    The Raid
    Birdman
    Logan
    Skyfall
    Captain America: Civil War
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • To be clear, I was picking personal faves from the Empire list. Would have to think harder about other faves of mine.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB wrote:
    The Lives of Others and Dogville would certainly both be on my list.

Yeah was thinking of Lives of Others earlier. And Dogville was great too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just discovered this exists -

The section from 34:53 to 39:38 specifically. It was being used in a video alongside some music, and I'm quite astonished at the totally weird trippiness of it. Amazing concepts for what alien life could be like, we don't see such things even in most new sci-fi films. A few of those creatures are very reminiscent of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I'd recommend seeing Waves if you're at all interested in what I described as an 'intoxicating, if occasionally ponderous, stream of consciousness examination of a family in crisis' in the movie record thread. It's directed by Trey Edward Shults, who did It Comes At Night, with a soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross and is a cross between a Terrence Malick film, last year's brilliant Eighth Grade, and a strange film from a few year's ago called Mommy... If it hadn't been for the ponderousness in the second half and one piece of casting that I had minor issues with, it'd be my film of the year so far.
  • What Hollywood films are there that deal with the economic crisis of 2007/8 or issues related to that?

I could think of a few - The Big Short, Margin Call, The Laundromat, Hustlers. Any others?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!