Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Fantastic, that'll sort me for a good while then! Realised I have the True Grit remake as well, colleague gave it to me last year, so that's tonight's viewing :)
  • Ah that is an amazing film. Easily as good as the original! The girl seals the deal.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • True Grit - enjoyed this, didn't love it like I thought I may do, given the praise it got on release. At first I was put off by the Coen Brothers-ness of it (that slight quirkiness), but I settled into it. It was a tad 'clean' for me, I like my Westerns sweaty, dirty and grizzled, but the performance of the girl was great, and Bridges was in top form as well. 4/5
  • 1917 tonight. Technically super impressive but I found the format distracting more than anything, constantly watching for the cuts.
  • One thing I've found for Disney+ is they have an extras section for movies. Deleted scenes and interviews etc, that you would normally get on home releases. Pleased to see it in there, something I've missed with Netflix.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Oh that's cool. I hadn't seen that.
    Cheers for the heads up.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Gentlemen - a terrible mess of a film and also a borefest. Too many actors wasted in small roles. I wasn't paying attention during the titles, but should have known it was Guy Richie. Terrible.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Invisible Man - decent idea let down by gaping plot holes and a shitty ending that is very unsatisfactory.
  • A Quiet Place. Lovely stuff.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kow wrote:
    The Invisible Man - decent idea let down by gaping plot holes and a shitty ending that is very unsatisfactory.

Yeah, the ending was bobbins but I went with it up until that point. Also no way is a guy that rich sticking with teeth like that. Totally blew the whole illusion for me. Lost a full mark for poor following of dental trends of the the wealthy.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Yeah, the ending was bobbins but I went with it up until that point. Also no way is a guy that rich sticking with teeth like that. Totally blew the whole illusion for me. Lost a full mark for poor following of dental trends of the the wealthy.
    Spoiler:
  • Turns out Disney+ has the Pixar films in 4K dolby, and my word does the opening of Wall-E look amazing. Just so beautiful
  • I bloody love the first 30 minutes or so of Wall-E.
    Character animation masterclass.
  • It is utterly brilliant
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Iceman. Biopic about Richard Kuklinski...one of the biggest bad asses ive heard of. Some chilling interviews with him on YT and if they are to be believed this film is a watered down version of events.

Excellent job by Michael Shannon in the lead.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Three Identical Strangers is on Netflix lads. Get it watched, one of my fav documentaries of recent years.
  • Good shout, forgot to watch that last time I read about it. Added to the list.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Three films over the past couple of days:

Color Out of Space: As a longtime Lovecraft fan this was a joy to see. I also love Nicolas Cage so yep yep I was bound to like this. A little slow to start with some dodgy dialogue but when things start to go bad, it gets REALLY good. The distortions of the human form near the end were utterly superb. Loved it. 

Le Mans '66: I don't know much about cars or racing them but I really enjoyed this. Thrilling, life affirming and just a whole mess of fun. Christian Bale and Matt Damon are delightful together.

Family Plot: Hitchcock's final picture and a pretty good one to go out on. Billed as a comedy, it is not very funny, but it is a charming little movie all the same. Classic Hitchcock obsessions: mystery, suspense, murder and kidnapping. Good stuff.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve got Color Out of Space lined up for tomorrow night, I think.  Of the stories I’ve read by Lovecraft so far this one’s my favourite, so looking forward to it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I watched 1917 the other day. Shite. The accents were fucking awful and it somehow managed to be less poignant than the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I’ve got Color Out of Space lined up for tomorrow night, I think.  Of the stories I’ve read by Lovecraft so far this one’s my favourite, so looking forward to it.

Me too.

I watched 1917 the other day. Shite. The accents were fucking awful and it somehow managed to be less poignant than the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth.

Yes, hugely overrated film with not much to say.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Color Out of Space is a banger.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hell yeah. I don't like Cage mental for the banters, but he does it really well I this, and his thoughts about his family are amazing. And then there's the barn.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message

Haven’t seen it, but there’s not a lot more poignant than the end of Blackadder Goes Forth.

• Oh, there's a nasty splinter on that ladder, sir, a bloke could hurt himself on that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watching Amour with the missus. Ive got the tissues ready.
  • Re-watched Force Awakens

Without the excitement of being a new Star Wars movie it kind of sucks .. it’s over long and pretty much copies the first film almost exactly
    The Forum Herald™
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Color Out of Space then.  A very close cousin of Annihilation, only less subtle and more in-your-face.  Not perfect, but I loved it all the same.  I want more of this shit.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rewatched Kong Skull Island and Godzilla King of the Monsters.

Maybe not quite as good as I remember in some ways but more enjoyable in others. For pure spectacle I loved them again. I know that isn't in line with some thinking here but I don't care. Wonder if we will see the Kong Godzilla match up this year? A 2020 cinematic release must be in jeopardy.

Forgot how much of a 70s film Kong Skull Island was. Enjoyed that aspect of it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rewatched Pom Poko for the first time in over a decade. Flora's first time watching. God it's dark. You can tell it's Takahata through and through.

Also the end credits is the best Ghibli song ever fight me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!