Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • nick_md wrote:
    I was a film twat at uni thanks I know how to pronounce meesonsen.

FuckaFunk.
    I got a first on a Philosophy of Film module I didnt sign up for.
    I wrote 2000 words on Platoon and how Dafoe and Berenger's characters offer Sheen I split personality of a father figure through their appointed and adopted authority.

The stoner lecturer went wild.
    Never saw him again. What a load of shit, I pulled it out my arse drunk on Grants whiskey.

• LivDiv wrote:
    I pulled it out my arse drunk on Grants whiskey.

A Dadaist comment on the Vietnam war itself, you earned that first.
  • Honestly I think he was just happy to hear something with a slight bit of thought.
    Listening to others students was like pulling teeth.

We also snuck out the back of one of his lectures during a screening of Clooney Solaris. It was 80s movie slow mo runs when realised we were finally free.
    Myself, a mate and a random guy we had never met before. The three of us got trashed in the union all day instead.
  • Film students, bunch of wankers.
  • My film education, such as it is, was in King Alfred's College library - now uni of Winchester..mostly film and theatre and production courses at the time
    I was there with my law books revising for mods. Except I shirked Thomas's book on Roman Law and instead read about how Buffy is perpetuating racial stereotypes because 78% of vampires where black or ethnic, and watched VHS tapes in their booths. All of woody Allen's oeuvre, the third man, Citizen Kane, both seasons of Spaced, were consumed, and so much more. I was there for 12 hours a day while the film students were copping off in the grounds outside.

One time a bunch of suits toured the swanky library, built with new labour money, and I saw a dog there - Blunkett was being given a tour..he must have asked to speak to a student, and I was the only one at a row of 40 desks. So they brought him over to me. He asked me what I was studying, I said law, and the guy showing him around went blue in the face (they didn't offer law) and urged him on. It's a shame that as the story really would be improved if I got the chance to tell Blunkett the only student in this multi million pound library was an Oxford undergrad. I was actually embarrassed and evasive.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Still its not like Blunkett was gonna get shit out of my animation course.
    "Its like the stuff you cant see but we make it up. Have you ever had a cheese and bacon oatcake?"
  • I was a film student at college. Was great fun, when I bothered going in. Most of the time I was hanging out with the theatre girls down the pub or at home (I lived 5 mins away from college so most afternoons were spent at my house)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • "shall we go back and study the film at my house girls? I have wine"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Wookie the predator by the sounds.
  • Not quite! Im a different man now thankfully
  • My overriding memory of media studies (A-level) is the teacher venomously calling me a cunt for ruining the ending to Se7en forthelols.  He asked if everyone had seen it, one kid said no, I said "ahaha [thing about the ending!]" or something, and I got ruined with two or three words.   He was right too.
  • My overriding memory of media studies was the teacher being more interested in her African charity.
  • I did a good chunk of film studies at uni too btw, that's why I'm allowed to mock them, and just students in general tbh... stupid young people always trying to learn stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not quite! Im a different man now thankfully

Nothing wrong with inviting a girl home to watch a film and drink wine.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    "shall we go back and study the film at my house girls? I have wine"

Wookie the predator by the sounds.

'Get to the chopper.'

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I did a good chunk of film studies at uni too btw, that's why I'm allowed to mock them, and just students in general tbh... stupid young people always trying to learn stuff.

if you have a job now you aren’t allowed to bully us, those are the rules
  • To redeem myself, this looks alright:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It is brilliant.
  • Not as brilliant as a pen floating by itself.
  • Recently got round to watching two films that have long been on my list to watch. First up:

Midsommar: I bloody loved this. So bloody weird and freaky. The moments of violence are incredible shocking and the whole scenario is very well played out. However, it wouldn’t work without Florence Pugh who is just absolutely incredible in the main role. Loved it.

Session 9: The definition of a slow burn but bloody hell does it build and build and build and has a cracking ending (the final line sent total shivers down my spine). The setting of the asylum is amazing and adds an absolute shit load of atmosphere to the film. Plus, Peter Mullen is absolutely outstanding in the film, as in head and shoulders above the rest of the cast. Really enjoyed this.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Two of the best horrors.
  • Session 9 was great. Noticed it on Netflix the other day, should rewatch.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Possession is up at the drive-in in a little over a week. Looking forward to that.

Been to Psycho and The Birds yesterday, thanks for everyone who recommended those. They both were absolutely brilliant and looked amazing. There was a new screen and maybe projector and it was bigger and very clear.
    Psycho made me incredible nervous.
    The Birds was just horrible. So unsettling while not being so upfront scary as Psycho.

If anyone has a good video on the vfx in The Birds, would like to see that. Was still impressive I'm most shots.

They also had a little feature before Psycho, footage from around release. Hitchcock had made a cut out version of himself holding a big sign notifying the people that you won't be let in after start time, and they had some footage of a policemen standing next to it, to enforce it.
    Tried to take a picture but my flash went off by accident and you can only see how dirty the Jeep screen is.
  • Glad you enjoyed them Nina. There's a making of on YouTube. Haven't watched it myself, but it's probably a good place to start...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Was it The Birds where Hitchcock was a proper C to the lead actress? A Kubrick style torture for "the art". I know there was a book or a movie about that but can't remember which movie it was for
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Yeah, it was The Birds. I've seen that film (but I forget its name) but not The Birds.
  • Hes back...this will be interesting

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!