Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Gruelling but an excellent film, comfortably one of the best I've seen this year.
  • Pageturn: Law Abiding Citizen.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tenet - mumbly, nonsensical shite. I'm an hour into it and I have no idea what's going on, even when I can make out what they're saying.
  • Its clever because everybody thought it was called Tenent but its not its Tenet which is a palindrome which is like reversed or something like what happens in the movie.
    Its genius really.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The time thing makes no sense at all.
  • So it's a waste of time then?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Dark and the Wicked is a fantastic little horror. Real tension builder.

Watched this tonight. Nice slow burner. Had a similar low key vibe to Blackcoats Daughter, from what I recall of that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tenet - blatantly fucking obvious what was going to happen in the latter half if you've seen any of Nolan's previous films.

Student kevel mumbo jumbo bollocks. If Kojima wrote the plot to a film this is it. Its literal student gibberish shit. An ego product.

Looks outstanding though and Branagh is great fun. The lead tries to Bond it up and fails spectacularly, and Pattinson wobbles from great to pathetic.

I enjoyed watching it but I dont know why or what for. The concept is fairly fucking simple, he's just chucked some bollocks into the mix and thats what loses its entire core. Stick to the fucking core principle and idea, dont chuck in theoretical nonsense that you think sounds cool.

Theres a scene in there where you can clearly tell he's wanking himself off as he types it.

Interstellar and Inception have their problems but theyre a fun ride and have great moments. This is like someone started a fire and pissed gasoline on it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's that. Absolute garbage. No idea what the story was at all, it makes so little sense. I may even have dozed off a few times. God help anyone who risked Covid to sit through that nonsense.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Pageturn: Law Abiding Citizen.

Bants
  • Tenet looked great and the action was good, but silly, until the end. I either wasn't convinced by or didn't understand the science, the weird sound mix and the sillliness of the action made it a hard sell.

That final big action set piece was terrible.

It asll felt like a Bond or Jack Ryan riff, especially with Branagh reprising his oligarch, but welded on to a not fun at all story.
    Spoiler:
  • I watched Tenet last night too. The wife was very bored. I thought it was clever, if perhaps trying to be a bit too clever for its own good.
    I think I enjoyed it, I'm not really sure. I think ultimately I found myself consciously trying to persevere with it rather than truly going along with the story.

Perhaps I'll appreciate it more with further viewings but right now I felt it was a bit smug, a bit too clever for its own goodm
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    To be too clever it would need to make sense, which it didn't. A car chasing you will be driving backwards because of 'time stuff'?
  • I don't think I'll bother with Tenet as it hasn't had a double thumbs up from pretty much anyone.
  • It got double thumbs up from me!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I require a minimum of two doubles before I change my mind.
  • While you were all befuddled by Tenet, I was watching Kingpin last night. I win.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I think the concept of the film and how it works is actually quite clever and it does work when you stop to think about it.

But the film itself doesn't explain it very well (a couple of rushed and mumbled expositionary monologues as the thing is happening is not good filmmaking) and it doesn't sell it well because it kind of forgets about it for the middle of the film and so you forget it too.

I kinda wish a better filmmaker had directed it. They probably wouldn't have made the end section so visually bland and confusingly shot and concept might have been woven in more fluently.
  • So it's confirmed then. Interstellar really is shit.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Tenet is utter rubbish.

They could have done a way better job of the finale imo in quite an easy way and it would have been really fun.

I thought it was going to be inception 2 but it was more an insipid number 2.

Having said that I thought Robert pattinson was fun in it.
  • I have downloaded Tenet. Will give it a look tonight.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Prepare to be detniopasid.
  • The end looked like a discount paintball day
  • I think the concept of the film and how it works is actually quite clever and it does work when you stop to think about it.

But the film itself doesn't explain it very well (a couple of rushed and mumbled expositionary monologues as the thing is happening is not good filmmaking) and it doesn't sell it well because it kind of forgets about it for the middle of the film and so you forget it too.

I kinda wish a better filmmaker had directed it. They probably wouldn't have made the end section so visually bland and confusingly shot and concept might have been woven in more fluently.

Is it Nolan's Only Revolutions?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watch it in reverse g, it prob makes sense.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Discovered Radio 4's The Film Programme last night which goes out 4pm each Thursday (with a repeat at 11pm each Sunday). Of course it's available anytime online.  Last night's episode was about the great flop Heaven's Gate which was good listening. I went to the programme's sub website on the the BBC site and there seems to be plenty of good varied content.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What you all watching Tenet on? I need to search it out.
  • Final few Film Festival bits from me...

The Twentieth Century

I could have sworn that I've written about this already, but I can't see it so...  It's a gloriously strange film - a reimagining of the life of Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King, with a newly found focus on shoe fetishes, ice mazes and competitive seal clubbing.  Visually it deliberately echoes German Expressionism, creating a slightly giddy sense of the unreal and the absurd.  The casting is also gender neutral - I have never seen so many women with drawn on moustaches.  Not everyone's going to find this funny, and I suspect it's much more amusing if you're Canadian, but I found the whole thing gleefully hilarious.  Meanwhile, stuffed in between all the silliness and playful deviance, are some fairly genuine observations about the politics of then and now.  You can pretty much work out whether it's for you or not from the trailer, so here goes:

Detention

The film of the videogame that I haven't actually played.  Detention's an odd one from my perspective.  It's a horror of sorts, set during the "White Terror" period in Taiwan, detailing the fates of a group of students and teachers who have illegally set up a book club.  It leans quite heavily the not-very-scary scares early on in the film, then loops back into more of a character piece, before mashing the two together for the finale.

My problem with it, fundamentally, is that in there are the bones of a really compelling, and genuinely horrifying film about a much ignored time in our recent collective history in there.  However, the decision to tell the story through fictional monsters has the effect of diminishing the impact of the genuine atrocities, rendering a potentially powerful and moving tale disappointingly hollow. 

The Skin

One of those films you really want to like, but...don't.  An Iranian folk fantasy about a man who finds himself torn between saving his mother from Jinn, or using the situation to get closer to the woman he loves. There are moments of beauty, and I enjoyed the musical framing mechanism, but ultimately it's a film in which very little happens, quite slowly, with no particular purpose. By the end I wondered whether I'd fundamentally missed something - I probably had, but that doesn't alter the fact I really didn't get much out of it...

Finally, top 3 from the films I watched...

The Twentieth Century - absurd, satirical pastiche that will annoy as many as enjoy. But I loved it.
    The Columnist - Dark, hilarious and anchored by a brilliantly charismatic central performance.
    Caveat - Flawed horror, but the first 45 minutes are so wonderfully creepy I can forgive it losing its way.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    What you all watching Tenet on? I need to search it out.

Just noticed it's dropped on to the Movie HD app if you have an android device around.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I think the concept of the film and how it works is actually quite clever and it does work when you stop to think about it.

Is it Nolan's Only Revolutions?

I haven't read it. No good I assume?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!