Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ok my nomination: A Prophet. French gangster something or other that had great reviews and which I've had on my shelf for ages.

If it turns out you've all seen it, backup suggestion is R-Point, some Korean thriller thing.
  • mk64 wrote:
    its top 3 for me.  Howls Moving Castle  Pom Poko  Porco Rosso 
    Pom poko, for real? Above Mononoke, Spirited, and all the rest?
    Its really funny and I love the environmental message

Yeah this is worth restating. Obvs Ghibli has been going all save-the-planet since forever, but something about making that explicit in a modern setting while still maintaining a hefty dose of the magical and not coming off as a tedious afterschool special is kind of miraculous. It's my fave after Porco.

You will never see a more charming movie about what's essentially terrorism.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Ok my nomination: A Prophet. French gangster something or other that had great reviews and which I've had on my shelf for ages.

I bought the soundtrack to that, can upload to dropbox if the film is chosen.
  • I liked Prophet. It wasn't as good as I was expecting after all the fuss I'd heard but I enjoyed it.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Will it have things to discuss, or just one for people to watch in their own time?
  • Didn't enjoy Citizen Ruth as much as his other films. I didn't actually laugh at Nebraska but I'm sure I was smiling all the way thru.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Nebraska is quite heart warming. The ending is beautiful. Citizen Ruth is more acerbic and irreverent.

What'd you think of Laura Dern?
  • It is heartwarming but it's things like the two brothers constantly laughing at how long it took him to drive there and his dad's comments on mount Rushmore.

The performances were all good but in that ott miramax comedy way.

PS I fucking hate miramax. I've enjoyed plenty of miramax films but hated, hated, so much of their output.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Will it have things to discuss, or just one for people to watch in their own time?
    It's been a while but I can't remember much to discuss. It's a fairly straightforward story of working up the ranks in a prison gang while not being hard enough to fuck everyone up and nobody liking his race.
  • Citizen Ruth is on American Netflix.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I enjoyed Citizen Ruth (watched it streamed from the dropbox account). Made me think - and its based around a situation I don't think anyone could honestly form a definitive opinion on with which they would stick for life.

Spoiler:
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Really? Surely that's just some kind of pyramid scheme or some shit.

Didn't care for the main character at all?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I did, but I kept changing my mind. I have an addictive personality and I hate what addiction does. I see it as a weakness and a selfish thing and I hate myself in a small way for being like that - and that tends to transfer to characters.

Don't think the tapes are a scheme - they seemed to be helpful - seemed to lay out a plan - and consequently some hope.
  • I'd like to put forward Head-On (2004) as my choice. It's a German-Turkish film about two Turkish people living in Germany struggling with their sense of identity in a different culture, iMDB lists it as drama/romance.

I originally watched it at uni and this'd give me a reason to watch again, I remember one reviewer describing it as 'Romeo and Juliet on speed' or something like that. It's also notable for starring the actress that played Tyrion's lover in Game of Thrones in her first film role after being a real life prostitute.
  • Subtitles and cultural identity in another culture? Neither culture being mine? People coming to terms with stuff? Romance?

Count me in.

There are car chases tho right?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    It's been a while but I can't remember much to discuss. It's a fairly straightforward story of working up the ranks in a prison gang while not being hard enough to fuck everyone up and nobody liking his race.

Hmm. In that case, maybe time for a dramatic shift in vote.

New suggestion: Crimes & Misdemeanours. A non-Allen Allen.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    There are car chases tho right?

Kinda.

• TheDJR wrote:
    I'd like to put forward Head-On (2004) as my choice. It's a German-Turkish film about two Turkish people living in Germany struggling with their sense of identity in a different culture, iMDB lists it as drama/romance. I originally watched it at uni and this'd give me a reason to watch again, I remember one reviewer describing it as 'Romeo and Juliet on speed' or something like that. It's also notable for starring the actress that played Tyrion's lover in Game of Thrones in her first film role after being a real life prostitute.

Unless I think of something specific in the next few weeks I'd like to second this choice.  I picked it up pre-owned in a Blockbuster bargain bin a few years ago, and have force-lent it to half a dozen people since.  Truly excellent, plus I've only seen it once.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    One more from me... Fear and Desire, Kubrick's first. Anyone seen it??
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I liked Citizen Ruth and laughed a fair amount. Scumbag tearing out his cellophaned window was a highlight. Slightly creepy as Eric's relationship with Burt Reynolds was, that whole speech about his mother was quite nice.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Seeing as subtitles are now out, Lawrence of Arabia would be my put forward unless most have seen it already.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I think they are merely discouraged.
  • I'll change my pick to The Expendables or something then.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Get your highbrow shit out of it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Scumbag tearing out his cellophaned window was a highlight.

Yes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Subtitles are in, fuck leaving them out.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Shall we give the films we choose scores out of ten and keep a spreadsheet of them?
  • Shall we give the films we choose scores out of ten and keep a spreadsheet of them?

Yes please. Unless that was a joke about how nerdy that would be, in which case pretend I said something along the lines of 'fuck that noise'.

Will watch Citizen Ruth on Saturday (and award it a score out of 10).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!