DOOM - Hurt me plenty!
  • Aye. Hell (no pun intended here in the Doom thread), when I got the Doom 3 BFG edition on PC, I went through the original game instead of jumping into Doom 3! One sitting too, I was having that much fun.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Doom64, I hope I have that.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    DOOM 4 Teaser Trailer E32014

Schwing. That might be the reason I buy a PS4 or Xbone.
    Anyone else played 3? Any good memories of the series in general? Looking forward to the reboot?

I loved 3. I know it got a mixed reception, but the ghost-train set up worked really well, IMHO. Managed to slip out when I wasn't looking, so I ran around all the game shops in town (when we had multiple, rather than one tired looking GAME) and found the last limited edition metal tin version in the city. At the end of my final year of uni, I'd done all my exams but still had a couple of weeks left of term time. I'd stay up until the sun rose playing Doom 3 or Halo 2. Good times. For further good memories, see below.

When you say reboot, do you mean another Doom title that's been announced, or Doom 4? Because I thought Doom 3 was kind of a reboot in itself, Doom one re-imagined with modern (at the time) graphics.
    Skerret wrote:
    Doom64, I hope I have that.

Mmm, Doom 64. That was a brilliant wee title. Over looked by a lot of people because it was Doom but not on a PC, and by others because it involved sprites during a time when 2D was considered dirty. Those of us that did grab it were in for a treat, I reckon. I still remember clearing a level of enemies, finding a window out onto the surface of Mars, seeing the stars twinkling in the sky, and thinking to myself "I'm so far from home and totally alone." Achieved with nothing more complex that some basic 3D geometry and pixels arranged to look like monsters. Magic.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Over looked by a lot of people because it was Doom but not on a PC

Well, if you'd asked me what I thought about it...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I really hope I have this.  I think I do.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Definitely mayber.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mm, mayber.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    When you say reboot, do you mean another Doom title that's been announced, or Doom 4? Because I thought Doom 3 was kind of a reboot in itself, Doom one re-imagined with modern (at the time) graphics.

I heard Doom 4 (which I believe is now officially just called Doom) is another reboot. Apparently its very much in the mould of the original, with maze levels and little narrative. Being a reboot isn't really out of place now with 3 being 10 years old.

TheDJR wrote:
    I got Doom 3 on release when I was deep into PC gaming. I thought the torch mechanic was awful, played it for about an hour before going back to CS.

I think the BFG edition on consoles has improved the touch mechanic. My memories of the PC version is very hazy because of my PC crashing every 15mins despite spending about £200 on a new gfx card specifically for it. It was the game that made me give up on PC gaming.

Anyway, in the BFG edition the torch is used with L1 with R1 to shoot. You can shoot whilst using the torch, was that not possible originally?

I'm about 5 hours in now and as much as I'm enjoying it its not an amazing game, even by 2004 standards. There were far better FPS out there, some of which were a fair old age themselves. On top of that it had some huge boots to fill, so its no surprise its ended up a bit forgotten.

That doesn't matter though as I'm in a Doom mood and it's simple gameplay and linear structure are quite refreshing in a way. To me it feels like a good example of enjoying an average game more than a critically acclaimed one that you force yourself to slog through because you feel you have to as a gamer.

It terms of the PS3/360 port its very poor. In 2004 it was definitely a looker but here we have low res textures, low polygon counts on characters and some iffy animation which are all forgivable as this was just a quick re-release but the load/save times are not, no excuse for that come 2012. 3-4 more sessions to the credits I reckon.

Lot of love here for Doom 64 it would seem. I'm afraid I was one of the many who ignored it as 'LOL DOOM' in the wake of Goldeneye. Might have to pick it up at some point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I liked the torch mechanic in OG Doom 3.

Helped show off what the game was all about, too: the graphics engine (normal mapping in particular).
  • Definitely adds to the tension and scare factor, only lasts X amount to time before it switches off to recharge which I think works well.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Doom 64 owns Goldeneye from a very great height.

magnificent stuff

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh yeah, I forgot that it was completely unplayable on PC when it was released.
  • I played it fine on release. Hell, I even had it running okay with a parallax occlusion mod installed.
  • I had no problems on launch, either.
  • Nor did I have have problems running the leaked beta 'cause I was well leet back then and shit.
  • Yeah, well, maybe my PC was gash, fuck you. I don't think I bought it either, pretty sure I torrented it back when I stole stuff.
  • It was someone on this forum that got me into Brutal Doom. Here you go;

It's brilliant.
  • That mod looks like it puts every HD remake to shame.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It really shines in co-op.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I linked to it a while ago when I was praising the PS1 version.

• I suppose it's easier when a game was designed to run within 20 year old limitations but I'd like more remakes to go for that "just like I remember it" vibe.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Being a reboot isn't really out of place now with 3 being 10 years old.

Ten years? Christ on a bike.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't have Doom64.  I think I had but sold it.  SHIT I really wanna play it now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    I don't have Doom64.  I think I had but sold it.  SHIT I really wanna play it now.

I think my copy also got flogged during the Great Money Paucity of my mid-20s, when no one would give me a job and the government decided I didn't qualify for benefits (even though I did).

Bitter? Not at all.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You shouldn't have punched them.
  • I'm planning on shitting in my hand and throwing it at the government if I see them.

I've got so much anger and nowhere to put it.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Fury shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!