The Last Guardian and all things Ueda pasty present and future
  • g.man wrote:
    Souls games. There's a variety of gameplay options available to you at all times, no single play through is ever the same.
    ...and yet, it's still incredibly repetitive.

Weird, but the enemies being in the same place all the time is part of why I love it so much. You can approach each encounter in myriad ways but it will be different every time. Even dealing with the hollows in the Burg from the first bonfire can throw up surprises despite the fact I've done it a thousand times.

Dark Souls 2 with its enemies that don't respawn after you kill them a certain number of times was a step back and made the game far too easy and boring.

So it is very repetitive in that sense, but the outcomes can be different. I think that's where some games go wrong.

You could play CoD and the AI will do the same thing in a given situation no matter how many times you play it, but in Halo, you'll get something different from taking the same approach twice.

Usually.
  • The tools just aren't there still to generate a constantly progressing experience with endless variety but enough curated content to remind you there's some heart in it all, definitely getting there though, i'd definitely agree that games are repetitive, even with the finest minds on the planet at the wheel and i know there are leads who would have the energy to produce these ideas, but in most games as people see them, the cost of developing that kind of variety is ridiculous

You can knock army men games and wotnot but i think COD4 marked a seachange in the minds of developers, and games suddenly became more like films, like repetition started reducing rapidly, money got poured in recreating what cod4 did so well but it's gone kind of wank, missed the point, and now i reckon that endless surprise and variety will come via oculus surfing walk-em-ups. I say it loads but I stand by it, Dear Esther's pure variety in there, when on a monitor its yawnsome. CoD games are unbearable trash in VR.

This game started life with the zbrush age so i've no doubt they've been knocking out a huge amount of content over the years that should retain its relevance even through a generation, so maybe it's this that keeps it in development, and when it surfaces it'll be part of the oncoming inventiveness afforded by tools and specs
  • I don't count emergent AI in shooters as variety, its dull as fuck, and not really that smart, like reading a bit on boids earlier 'large group movements based on individual decision based on incomplete information' - with that formula, some good rules and good pathfinding then any shooter can be a bag of surprises but you'll still be a space marine/government pillowbiter shooting space arabs/arabs
  • Games are fundamentally repetitive. The cost of getting a game running compared to the cost of making another section of doing roughly the same shit will always be a barrier.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Indeed, which is why you need skillful deployment of 'randomness', for instance by letting a fuckload of users interact with eachother, or by tooling your AI up the wingwang. The latter is still dismally underdeveloped.

Spelunky is maybe one of the most successful random-gen roguelikes going at the mo. I really hope From have played it.
  • Dead Souls was lacking in lady/man/pug ritual sacrifice. Always worth it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Got to say I thought SotC was over rated.

Bloody hell!
  • He said bloody hell.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I believe he was expressing disbelief.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I imagine he's incredulous at your blasphemy, I mean you wouldn't walk into Finsbury Park Mosque in Mohammed fancy dress
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Mechanically is short of greatness but it's originality and atmosphere cover for that. I actually felt sick when killing one of those magnificent beasts.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    SotC transcends the medium.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't even know what that means really.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I think it means it was born in the body of a man but it's more comfortable as a woman.
  • Skerret wrote:

It means it doesnt respond to control inputs.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • In all seriousness you could argue that any game that stops feeling like a bullshit videogame despite not actually jettisoning the core experience - rules, mechanics, goals, patterns - has gone a long way off piste. I crave these titles.

Ftr I don't really think Colossus qualifies.
  • What does?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Very little indeed. The ones that get closest have tended to tailor their scenarios very carefully to fit, and don't require a great deal of 'suspension of disbelief'. Something like Portal is a game about solving spatial puzzles in a context which is very much about being a lab-rat. Could be tighter, but it's on the right track.
  • FIFA 14.
  • Skerret wrote:

I think you would be more accurate saying it transcends games and lives up to the medium. The fact that games are the only mainstream activity which make decent use of the medium is a bit of a crime, the fact the medium is in the sweaty paws of people obsessed with games being what they expect games to be is annoying, it's forced inhibition or plain stupidity on behalf of gamers in general. Reminds me of christianity stunting the evolution of the human race for 2000 years, that level of smallminded nonsense vs the inexplicable but explorable universe. It'll fix itself though, and i'll say ico does the same as sotc, although their concessions to gameyness in a harmful manner (Awkward controls in order to make them games, annoying fights that take away from the experience) do set them away from having embraced the medium properly

The last couple of years or so i've deffo realised what Brooks seems to want out of games, although not necessarily what i want (A death to the word 'game' to describe the medium)
  • I still find the basic constituents of 'game' the most compelling reason to deal with interactive fiction, insofar as almost everything we do that is interactive comes with the notion of 'a task performed, an outcome achieved' as a vital element of the experience.

Plenty of people drive cars for the sheer pleasure of driving but they still get you from A to B, and that core function seems to be what all else hangs off. My suspicion, and indeed experience, is that when you unhook interactivity from the convenient structure of tool-for-a-jobhood and all the design therefore necessary to escalate challenge and encourage development of mastery, you mute the medium of interactive fiction significantly. Any insights into its topic can feel lacking in potency, underearned or even shallow. Certainly, the 'lighter' a product's taskmastering and feedback, the more searingly profound and novel those insights seem to need to be to make up for it.

Should state, this isn't an argument for making everything well hard. I think a better model is to make everything 'non-trivial' - choices made should reward richly with further options, and be aesthetically satisfying in themselves. It's the complication of friction rather than the imposition of grotesque impediment for its own sake. And absolutely, do not write a game 'about' hardship without presenting that mechanically too, otherwise your product doesn't actually make sense.
  • Looking at Ico, since you raised it again, I agree that the combat, while actually pretty well executed, appropriate to the physicality of the protag certainly feeling quite unique as videogame combat goes, is something of crutch. In its absence, they'd have probably needed to up the complexity of spatial puzzles to achieve an approximately equivalent sense of achievement. (Which'd be fine.)

There are concessions to tropes because tropes - booo - and then there are decisions to enrich engagement with the experience, which may overlap but ultimately are crucial to the fiction, because the fiction has been specifically conceptualised to address and accommodate them.

As a creator, you can never be deliberately, 100% in control of all the factors that go into your creation, and that's cool because it's where the flavour can really emerge for an end consumer. But that highest sensitivity and consideration of practice should be your guide nevertheless.
  • Interestingly i think i get you about the mechanics of gameplay being what drives the experience, but i'd like to investigate ways in which to submerge identifying mechanics within a coherent space, and the mechanical  manifestions introduce themselves in the nature of the space (Space is a rough word here, could mean the entire physicality of the experience) as it starts rolling towards the whim you have abraded it towards

Thats all very loose talk and all of my ideas now are VR focussed which means you guys better get on that so you know what im about more! But essentially making 'walking simulators' that compel via perversity and aesthetic richness and write a story that is more a kind of under-hum of potential, that breaks into kineticism expressed in all forms, be it violence, quick reactions to an emotive npc outburt or just a burst of beauty breaking through the walls. I kinda loved ico for the very muted sense of power possibly bukding within the castle, which reaches a crescendo eventually but the most of the game is a good hearted boy helping someone he doesnt understand the best he can. Players can always be like that, SOTC in fact is another example, the hum of bad things teasing into the mood of the  game while you, the player, and your avatar and his horse face the hard work of doing your task, perhaps doubting what you were doing, and in a perfect world this mechanic could work beautifully with a well organised system and simulation of 'potential change'  in both living and more mathematicaly based game driving variables

There was a good link ace linked in games we wrote i think, in it it had an article about using the boids algorithm to model social direction, it could be extremely useful to run a simulation like this for exactly that.

Id like the modern game to be a game but you not know it's a game as such, you're investigating ideally wonderfully presented areas, maybe having fun with time and space and all that, and the mechanics of the game swoop into you over time, the player makes their own connections, each interaction, as you say, is rich with information and oportunity

You essentially learn to live in the game world, live buy whatever the dev designs as constants, hard and fast rules, and a world, doesnt have to be human, it can be emtirely inexplicable, but its reacting to whart you're doing, what others in the gameworld are doing, your interaction start getting very rich, animation now makes switch a button or ay kind of interaction easy now, in a VR headset playing a well designed game you are enrapt. Youre more than happy to investigate everything, youre in someone elses private universe, you want to see what maskes it tick, and then i guess i want this to be the driving force for it all

In reference to making games about hardship, one of my most cast in iron pledges is to help people understand psychosis, and yes believe me it will be mechanics up the wazoo, fantastic technology is becoming available to help this (significantly atm, binaural stereo) and with any luck i can sink the lumpen boy feel attached to the word game and games instead be part of a task filled progression to, well, where you should end, but none of that be overtly expressed on you. Systems being in work you'l never know the mathematics of, altering the game world (My environment ideas are a tad ambitious) in a way you can only vaguely impact

And of course the mechanics of psychotic onslaught... that can only be done on your own. If i do my job right, id like to think things changed for the better
  • Yeah, the maturing VR tech does strike me as an important shifter in legitimising the 'mere' virtual safari.

The big problem with them as they've existed to date e.g. summat like Dear Esther is that when you literally go for a stroll, the physical effort of walking is really satisfying without especially announcing itself. Again, it's the inclusion of worthy friction which a mouse/keys exercise with nothing to do but push forward can't match in the slightest.

(This very eve I wandered for over 4 hours around south-east Tokey just listening to podcasts and taking in visual novelties, including today's choice bit of Engrish - a poster featuring a dachshund in a bag complaining, apparently, about being left at home; the expression chosen was "I am unpleasant".)

But anyway, when you start making at least the human head and vision systems way more crucial to navigation in a virtual space, you're making good progress towards increasing the weight of whatever you absorb there. When they get past the devkit stage, I'm well on it.

But as you suggest, that's only part of the challenge - the other is to program virtual spaces capable of generating natural surprise in abundance.
  • It might take a bit of a paradigm shift for people to accept that they aret the hero, never will be, they will be part of a machine they cant broach, but they know its there and they can try to broach it. Systems like this neednt be complex, algorithms to control the sway of system and its effects on the player can be very simple (boids is a good example), end points of these systems are npcs, of which there can be few, but maintaining a believable dynamic between them with a system evoked bias automatically makes for much more compelling interaction involving an exchange with an entity capable of maintaining a compelling exchange. This is mechanism, but it's not 'gamey', well, it IS gamey but it's a little further along than galaga, and i want to think of immersive experiences as capitalising on the fact that in a VR hud, you are completely happy in your own space and time, you an just dawdle around and look at things, its a thing of great pleasure. Mechanisms can manifest with subterfuge, they can follow simple principles, in fact fairly self explanatory rule based reactions with ancilliary systems (state machine, behaviour tree, pathfinding) making agents in the space react accordingly short term and this be modelled into the overarching computation of the overarching system. It's almost a weird animal crossing-esque contentment with just existing, somewhere that couldnt possibly exist, which brings me onto:

Dear Esther - i never for a single second thought it would replace a walk in the moors, it couldnt possibly, but ive never been on an island like that.. thats irrelevant however, as the first two areas are quite simple walking around grassy hills and taking in the view and trying to ignore the narration, this is on VR i might add, i played the gane through once on a monitor and went 'pretty but eh', vr proves transformative, but its only when you get to the caves level that i realised the potential of VR things completely replacing the mentality behind faster bigger more explodingser - instead you do a weird 'wtf' breathing noise and try and take in the scale of what you are experiencing, that 3rd segment of the game is absolutely spellbinding in VR and very much formed some central thoughts about what people actually want from gaming, and wether what people want from gaming at the moment is mainly described via the device through which they experience it

Anyways, i digress, kind of, the Ueda games to my mind have caught the sense of just enjoying being in a place you can hang around in, look around in, take things in, enjoy in awe the scale of everything. There's clinically little to distract in these worlds (half life 2 goes by the same principle btw, and benefits deeply from it in comparison with just about any other shooter going), the aesthetic is tight and focussed and mood perfectly set. This is in monitor game form examples of stuff on VR you'd just rather do than run around trying to shoot things and getting increasingly fucked off when BEING INSIDE the world makes you incredibly aware of your limitations, and everything tunnel and overt is frustrating and disappointing

I really do hope the adoption of vr increasingly exposes the recent (well, its been quite a while) trash being output to make sparkles in the eyes of the pent up, as the trash it is, a game that invites you to be a member of something real that you only play your part in, to me, is far more effective than being a passenger on an exploding train that looks like a cock plundering onwards into USA FUCK YEAH boogeyman arsehole
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    yer i agree wit all dis
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    It might take a bit of a paradigm shift for people to accept that they aret the hero, never will be, they will be part of a machine they cant broach, but they know its there and they can try to broach it.

What if all games are a personalised Total Perspective Vortex?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!