BAMF! SNIKT! GLORF! The Comics Thread.
  • About to start on the AvX stuff, so hoping it turns out good. Agree that Wolverines lot have been the more interesting, though having said that, I did enjoy Generation Hope, shame it was cancelled. If you're reading Spider-Man, it's been pretty much all gold recently. Spider Island was fantastic, and this Ends of the Earth thing is amazing.

Have you read Uncanny X-Force? I genuinely think it's the best book on the shelves atm- the Apocalypse Solution and Dark Angel Saga are just so, so good. Just on a completely other level to pretty much anything else Marvel have produced in a long time. 

Agreed on Spider-Man too, it's been great. Not read Ends of the Earth yet but Spider-Island was one of the most exciting and fun stories I've read in a while. I thought it was by far the best of the three big event stories last year.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Just finished Judge Dredd: Mega City Masters volume 1. I found it a great introduction to the satire heavy world of Mega City 01 and the dystopian terror/hero (he's too much in a league of his own to call an anti-hero) central character. Now I have a taste for some proper Dredd story arcs like Judge Death stuff.

Which leaves me with a dilemma as to what to read next. The Dark Knight Returns or House of M.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I always found the Judge Death etc stuff to be kind of dull. Dredd is at his best when he's a secondary character and the city and its inhabitants are allowed to take centre stage. The Midnight Surfer is probably one of the best Dredd tales out there and Dredd himself is pretty much in the background.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Dredd is at his best when he's a secondary character and the city and its inhabitants are allowed to take centre stage.

I agree from what i've read. Two of my favourite stories in the collection were The Rise & Fall of Chair Man Dilbert and The Runner. One of which is about a normal guy becoming a priceless art treasure by acting as a human chair and the other about a guy being killed by Judges just because he liked to run. Both had minimal Dredd time.
  • I'm slowly working my way through Garth Ennis' The Boys graphic novels, highly recommended and in extremely dubious taste on occasion, just finished the Herogasm volume, must get Volume 6 soon, I need my fix
  • That series collapses on the presentation, which is pish. Ennis has written finer in any case.
  • Presentation doesn't bother me, I agree he's written better, but even Ennis coasting is better than most comics writers, each to their own
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Read one issue of The Boys and that was enough for me. Ennis just fluffing. He can write but he sometimes thinks he can get away with just over the top violence and swearing and he really can't.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    A chap at Kapow was telling me that Ennis's wife almost left him while he was writing Crossed. And that's the reason it's quite twisted.
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDOFPkefpUT_gDGG-n_UN8TIEfCFIpkpNjQECjPDOquTRaidNpIts this one. 
    Going free for anyone that wants it.
    Just PM me your address and I'll get it in the post.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Just finished Invincible ultimate collection vol 7.  Still a good read & just as brutal as vol 1, end of the day though its still a DBZ ripoff, just with more blood & guts.

Just started reading Secret Wars as the recent Avengers movie gave me a taste for some team up shiz.

In regards to House of M, do I need to read Civil War first?  Im a tad confused as Avengers disasemble needs to squeeze in somewhere & maybe another g.novel(not sure which), do I need all of the above to understand the Bendis plan/plot?

Ref Dredd, im up to vol13 of the complete case files & kow is on the money ref the city & its residents, old stoney face is good but its the perps that give the stories life.
  • Also on a non latex vibe I have Pyongyang: A Journey in north Korea to read. 

Any others here a fan of the journo type comic?  Any Sacco fans?
  • Ahhhh, Marshal Law, alas rev I own it already.  Its ok, just not a patch on ML: Fear & loathing.  Infact, I feel Mills & O'neill never came close to fear & loathing with any of their law follow ups.  Fear & loathing KICKS ASS!
  • I keep promising to get into that journo comic stuff because I want something else outside of the usual oddball/quirk stuff.

I'm happy enough browsing the Wiki synopsis of Marvel/DC mainline comics though, read through the Spider-island one which reminded me why I don't but those TPBs anymore, more characters than keys on a keyboard.

• Well if you want a starting point Tempster, try Joe Sacco's Palestine.  Twas where I started & made me a fan straight away, with his art & interviews.  So much a fan that I own all that the man has published.
  • cindemon wrote:
    Ahhhh, Marshal Law, alas rev I own it already.  Its ok, just not a patch on ML: Fear & loathing.  Infact, I feel Mills & O'neill never came close to fear & loathing with any of their law follow ups.  Fear & loathing KICKS ASS!

Fear and Loathing was the first comic that shocked me. They went down some ridiculous paths with it when they tied it into the ill fated toxic magazine. Though it had Accident Man in it that wasn't bad at the time.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Haven't read Persepolis. But the film was great so i'm guessing likewise.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Haven't read Persepolis. But the film was great so i'm guessing likewise.

I enjoyed both Persepolis books more than the film, but tbh, I couldnt tell ya why.

Rev, ref post fear & loathing, I just felt the guys went a tad bat-shit insane with the chatacter & world.  Fear & loathing had heart, the only story to come close was kingdom of the blind.
  • cindemon wrote:
    Just finished Invincible ultimate collection vol 7.  Still a good read & just as brutal as vol 1, end of the day though its still a DBZ ripoff, just with more blood & guts. Just started reading Secret Wars as the recent Avengers movie gave me a taste for some team up shiz.    In regards to House of M, do I need to read Civil War first?  Im a tad confused as Avengers disasemble needs to squeeze in somewhere & maybe another g.novel(not sure which), do I need all of the above to understand the Bendis plan/plot? Ref Dredd, im up to vol13 of the complete case files & kow is on the money ref the city & its residents, old stoney face is good but its the perps that give the stories life.

tbh the big Marvel Events can be a bit hit and miss. You're better off just picking a series and jumping on. Spider-Man has been excellent since Big Time started, Iron Man has been superb since Five Nightmares and Avengers post Siege  is as good a start as any. Particularly the Avengers Academy branch. 

X-men land has just had a major change with Schism that's effectively replaced Prof X vs Magneto with Wolverine vs Cyclops as reps of two wildly different ideologies around mutant-dom (though probably needs some wiki hunting around house of M)
  • Cheers for the shouts Danny boy.

Must admit im slightly tempted on xmen thang you mentioned.  I was always a mutant fan tbh & I like the idea of Logan & Scotty taking their relationship to the level you mentioned.

Age of Apocalypse was the last mutant story I read/collected.  Infact the last mutie comics I purchased before meeting the wife.
  • You'd definitely dig the Uncanny X-Force series then. It's largely a massive love in for 90s Apocalypse lore. 

X-Men generally is in an interesting place. They've been living on Utopia (Asteroid M floating off San Fran) for ages but Schism splits the remaining mutants in half. One group, lead by Cyclops, sees the means of survival as paramount as maintains the island as a kind of militarised nation, armed with Omega mutants instead of nukes. On the other side Wolverine has rebuilt the Westchester school and maintains a view that in order for mutants to have a future the children need to be taught in a school, not taught to fight.
  • See that actually sounds passably entertaining and the last X synopsis I ever felt like investigating was the one by Morrison which I guess I should get around to one day.
  • It's okay, typing as no fan of costumedude comics. Gets better than okay in the oddball far-future epilogue.
  • Yeah Morrison was wicked (though so hated by editorial that they bent over backwards to retcon the fuck out of it and used House of M to do just that) 

Another great run is Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, if you at all like his style on Avengers.
  • Of the not many Marvel things I've yet tangled with, Ennis' Punisher MAX convinced the most. Proper hardboiler that one.
  • The latest Punisher started off as a very cool pitch: It was all about the supporting cast and The punisher just turned up now and again to ruin shit without saying a word. Good fun!
  • Brooks wrote:
    Of the not many Marvel things I've yet tangled with, Ennis' Punisher MAX convinced the most. Proper hardboiler that one.

QFT. That was a fantastic series. Lost it slightly in the last volume, but it was hardcore as fuck.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dan_Dare wrote:
    Have you read Uncanny X-Force? I genuinely think it's the best book on the shelves atm- the Apocalypse Solution and Dark Angel Saga are just so, so good. Just on a completely other level to pretty much anything else Marvel have produced in a long time.  Agreed on Spider-Man too, it's been great. Not read Ends of the Earth yet but Spider-Island was one of the most exciting and fun stories I've read in a while. I thought it was by far the best of the three big event stories last year.

Aye, I read most of the X stuff, but X-Force is definitely one of the stronger books out there. It probably helps that it has Deadpool in it being not quite so Deadpooly as in his own stuff.

As far as House of M goes, Civil War came after it, so you can start on House of M straight off. I've never read Avengers Disassembled, and was fine with House of M.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Dark Knight Returns was great. Loved seeing the ravages of time do its work on both Bats and his rogues gallery and the difference that develops between him, Supes and the general populace of Gotham made it an exciting read.

Now, is The Dark Knight Strikes Again really that bad?
  • No, it's just got other fish to fry. Visuals can strike as off-puttingly Photoshoppy, but so do a lot of comicbooks these days.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!