PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Black label: sold!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Minotaur goes ham on SF books confirmed. Including a dozen or so ULG, good stuff.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Gosh! Comics is a billion times better in London, FP is just a generic geek chain these days.

Never heard of gosh! Will visit next time I'm in that area
  • Three quarters through vol 4 of black science.

Its great still.

Have third and final vol of 7 to Eternity to go next.

Tempted by Saga next. Looks good, will read up.

There's another 2-3 titles I have my eye on too.
  • Think I asked on twitter, can't remember here, where do you lot go for news/reviews/musings on comics?

Strikes me as a gamer adjacent pass time, and there was a comicgate, so I assume I have to dredge through a bunch of edgelord shit to find quality?
  • Saga is pretty great. I'd recommend Black Hammer if you haven't read any of that.
  • Yeah, have since looked at a few best of lists. Looks fab.
  • Polygon cover some comic stuff but I'm not sure what it's like. The few times I go on there is just been marvel stuff though. Apparently the new xmen run Hickman is doing is good.

East of West I have been enjoying a fair bit. It's a science fiction Western set in a dystopian version of the United States whose fate revolves around the four horseman.

I've also been enjoying Low which probably deserves a look based on its covers alone. It's another post apocalyptic end of the world type story where humanity has to live in cities under the sea. The art is really nice
    y6INaKF.jpg
  • Cheers. Good to know I'm on to right tracks, because I added both of those to lists. Low especially because remender wrote both of the above I'm reading and they're strong. (and he clearly only works with boss artists, because of low is great, that's 3 for 3 in my book.)
  • I haven't actually read black science so I'll add it to my list.

To make this a full Remender love in I've been meaning to pick up Death or Glory vol 1 for a whole now. I read the first issue when it came out last year and it seemed promising. There's only the five issues as it took a break for remender to show run deadly class.

Bengal is in art for it and he's always good.
  • I have every issue of Low in floppy form because I never stopped my pick up list, despite barely reading past the 3rd issue.
  • Low is very good indeed. Saga is superb. Good to hear Black Science is still good - I've only read the first 2 TPBs, I must pick the others up.

Other recommendations from me would be Southern Bastards - a big old slice of small town Americana full of racist gang-bangers, violence and American Football. Also, Injection by Warren Ellis is good and weird.

As for comic coverage, I don't read much off it online but when I do I often go to the AV Club which has often had some good stuff.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Has anyone read Oblivion Song? It's Robert Kirkman's new one. I've read every issue but I just can't seem to get on with it. Nice art thought.

Oh and another shout out for Death and Glory. Cool series and beautiful art. I need to check out Black Science.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Low is very good indeed. Saga is superb. Good to hear Black Science is still good - I've only read the first 2 TPBs, I must pick the others up. Other recommendations from me would be Southern Bastards - a big old slice of small town Americana full of racist gang-bangers, violence and American Football. Also, Injection by Warren Ellis is good and weird. As for comic coverage, I don't read much off it online but when I do I often go to the AV Club which has often had some good stuff.

I read the first tpb of Southern Bastards but never any more. I can't even remember if I liked it so will have to read again and look into getting the next volume.
  • Facewon wrote:

Have third and final vol of 7 to Eternity to go next.

Not final. Doh. I'm up to date though. Finished vol3. Cracking read.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone watched the Swampthing series on Amazon? The New 52 run of 'thing was phenomenal. DC have had better luck with TV than film, from what I hear...
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Anyone watched the Swampthing series on Amazon? The New 52 run of 'thing was phenomenal. DC have had better luck with TV than film, from what I hear...

It’s good, then it ends and it’s not coming back.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, fuck. Firefly syndrome.
  • A little bit more like Drive, it was cancelled pretty much as the first episode dropped.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Shiiit.

In related news, I can recommend Joker. A great counter point to the origin-less Heath Ledger incarnation. Let the Internet flame wars begin!
  • First chapter of saga is a very solid start
  • Facewon wrote:
    First chapter of saga is a very solid start
    Oh man, it's great. It's on a break at the moment and I miss it.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Got the last few volumes to catch up on so it'll give me a chance to get up to date. Think I'm up to 5 or 6 but it's been consistently excellent so far.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I picked up Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and From Hell recently. FH is incredibly dense, almost intimidatingly so. Will have to start that when I've got more time to dive in. Swamp Thing is good so far though.

More recommendations noted from the thread. First volume of Low was great, lovely artwork particularly. Black Science next on the purchase list I think.
  • From Hell is incredible and probably not at all what you’re expecting. Eddie Campbell’s art is the perfect match for it.
  • Saga is fantastic.

If love to be able to afford the entire Moore Swamp Thing run, it's superb.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Saga is fantastic. If love to be able to afford the entire Moore Swamp Thing run, it's superb.

Can get you e-copies, that's how I read it

As for recommendations, I still love "Y - The Last Man", not too long, not as long as say Preacher or Swamp Thing, but really good fun. Doesn't crossover with any other universes either so can be read with disregard to order or prior knowledge

If you're enjoying Swamp Thing then Constantine has to be soon, or recently, whichever is good
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    From Hell gets two thumbs up from me. That's the film and the comic/graphic novel*. Very different to each other.

*Delete as appropriate.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Saga is fantastic. If love to be able to afford the entire Moore Swamp Thing run, it's superb.

Can get you e-copies, that's how I read it

As for recommendations, I still love "Y - The Last Man", not too long, not as long as say Preacher or Swamp Thing, but really good fun. Doesn't crossover with any other universes either so can be read with disregard to order or prior knowledge

If you're enjoying Swamp Thing then Constantine has to be soon, or recently, whichever is good

Have to have dat paper when it comes to comics.
  • From Hell is basically Moore's masterthing imo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!