BAMF! SNIKT! GLORF! The Comics Thread.
  • Phew.
    Dodged that bullet.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • A POX ON TEMPY FOR PUTTING A POX
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    Want to get the Batman and Robin (Morrison) books. Can someone clarify if there are just three?
    I think so, I've just ordered the 2nd and 3rd. Very good they are too. Battle for the Cowl is the companion piece to it, which is also good.

I notice a lot of Morrison Bats books as well when browsing. Do they all interlink? If there's some stuff before B&R (Batman RIP perhaps?) then I'd like to get that first.

Batman RIP, Batman & Son and Batman: The Black Glove are all part of a trilogy onwards towards Battle for the Cowl and B&R.

I loved all of them, but then I like pretty much everything Morrison does!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • They're all very good singularly, but Jeff help you if you try to make it work in a continuity guff sense. Batman & Robin is excellent, but the above applies again. As long as you can ignore everything to do with the stupid continuity stuff, it's a great time.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Halfway through House of M and i'm thinking it's a bit shit, really. I don't think it's the entire thing either. "No More Mutants" is the subtitle.
  • so, bought and read Civil War and realised I'd already read it. Still, it was good fun all round. What stories/runs should I follow on from it?
  • The best ones are all Avengers related.

Mighty Avengers starts off with Tony Stark's government Avengers team. Great line up and some solid stories there.

New Avengers go underground and on the run from the Mighty team. Again, awesome team and stories. Also heavily features Dr Strange which is always good. 

Avengers: The Initiative is my favourite though. It's the direct continuation of the registration act; The govt launch a training camp run by current and former Avengers to train newly registered super powered kids to join state Avengers teams. Has a very strong rotating cast and great writing. 

oh and then you have the Warren Ellis Thunderbolts run which is, I think, one of the best series' Marvel have ever produced. 

All those lead up to Secret Invasion which I thought was...well it's pretty shit tbh (which is a shame because the build up was great)  but after that they did Dark Reign and that was fuckin awesome.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    Want to get the Batman and Robin (Morrison) books. Can someone clarify if there are just three?
    I think so, I've just ordered the 2nd and 3rd. Very good they are too. Battle for the Cowl is the companion piece to it, which is also good.
    I notice a lot of Morrison Bats books as well when browsing. Do they all interlink? If there's some stuff before B&R (Batman RIP perhaps?) then I'd like to get that first.
    Batman RIP, Batman & Son and Batman: The Black Glove are all part of a trilogy onwards towards Battle for the Cowl and B&R. I loved all of them, but then I like pretty much everything Morrison does!

Cheers Grem. Will hit up Amazon today.

Does anyone know if Comics International is still published? I'd like to read something (hard copy) that talks about upcoming releases, etc. There was another, much larger publication I used to read which I used to order monthly batches of comics from (I think) Comics Warehouse. Dammit, I wish I remembered its name.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Just put an order in for Animal Man volume 1. Due to economic weirdness, it's actually cheaper to get it shipped from the US than it is to buy a copy from a New Zealand retailer.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Are you in New Zealand?

That happens quite a lot. The prices for a whole heap of stuff on the American Amazon is turns out cheaper than the UK one, largely down to getting the Super Saver discount, I think.
  • Started to re-read B&R vol.1 in prep for 2&3 arriving. Had forgotten how good it was.
    Frank Quitely is amazing, some stunning art alongside a great story.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Just put an order in for Animal Man volume 1. Due to economic weirdness, it's actually cheaper to get it shipped from the US than it is to buy a copy from a New Zealand retailer.
    Is that the Grant Morrison run? Brilliant stuff if it is.

• Gremill wrote:
    Started to re-read B&R vol.1 in prep for 2&3 arriving. Had forgotten how good it was. Frank Quitely is amazing, some stunning art alongside a great story.
    Morrison does villains as good as anyone. The bad guys in B&R are despicable.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Started to re-read B&R vol.1 in prep for 2&3 arriving. Had forgotten how good it was. Frank Quitely is amazing, some stunning art alongside a great story.

While I generally can't stand Superman, I loved the artwork in All-Star Superman.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Are you in New Zealand?

Yup. It's really weird, I can order a game from the same website, but if they send me a copy from the UK it'll be cheaper than the 'official' NZ version. Madness.
    Gremill wrote:

No, it's from the first lot of TPBs for DC's New 52. I'm tempted to go back and read some of the old Animal Man stuff; I bought the New 52 Swamp Thing #1 on a whim (the cover looked awesome), loved it so much I tracked down the Alan Moore stuff. Which was also awesome. If I enjoy this TPB I won't take much persuading to get the Morrison stuff.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The first issue of Animal Man was astonishingly good. I need that trade too!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Just ordered Batman and Robin Vols 1+2 and the Civil War TPB.

Will report back.
  • Was recently making my way through Earth X, thought it was superbly epic until it hit Universe and Paradise, then it got far too confusing for its own good. Enjoyed seeing older versions of the heroes like Captain America though, reminded me a lot of Dark Knight Returns.

Next on the agenda is making my way through some of the big Marvel crossovers, like Secret War and World War Hulk. Thought House of M was brilliant and Civil War was a bit pish, so I'm guessing they'll be hit and miss.
  • I'm just not a big fan of events, I've decided. They've become really...flabby, recently. The only exceptions lately were Schism, which had a really strong end point to aim for (and a great creative team) and Spider-Island, which had a fantastic character focus to it and didn't get diluted. 

Fear Itself, by comparison, was just nonsense. All the badguys were just big punchy types and the event was a boring  procession of fights and explosions with weak characterisation and weak plotting. Secret Invasion was the same. Civil War was better in conception but Millar failed to keep both sides of the argument valid and decided to make the pro government side turn evil. For some reason...Probably his own right wing bias.
  • Just read the synopsis on wiki, saves money/time/braincells.
  • Fear Itself was good if you want to see fight books, not so much for the story.

AvX is currently making me hate pretty much everyone. At the start, the Avengers are fairly reasonable, and the X-Men led by Cyclops are total tools. Then a bit later when some Avengers turn up at the school, they become total utter bellends. I was hoping that it would be one of those things where both sides are reasonable but opposing viewpoints lead to the fights. But so far it's been pretty much "Hi I'm starting a fight for no reason."

Anyone seen the DC gay character thing? Apparently it's the Green Lantern. As in Alan Scott, the original one, who no one has given a fuck about for years. Big statement there guys.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    No, it's from the first lot of TPBs for DC's New 52. I'm tempted to go back and read some of the old Animal Man stuff; I bought the New 52 Swamp Thing #1 on a whim (the cover looked awesome), loved it so much I tracked down the Alan Moore stuff. Which was also awesome. If I enjoy this TPB I won't take much persuading to get the Morrison stuff.

As I've said on here* before, if you're reading the new Swamp Thing, you pretty much have to read the new Animal Man.  They're both excellent, and their stories are very much interlinked.  

I am however massively biased as Morrison's Animal Man run remains my favourite comic book story ever.  It's what got me into comics in the first place (I have them all from issue 5 - which is basically all Morrison's career condensed into one comic - onwards.)  It has a couple of blips - it has to fit into other continuity issues within DC at the time, and Morrison sometimes gets a bit too preachy - but even these are ultimately played with and subverted by the end.  No idea if I would feel the same way if I came to it fresh now, but as a teenager it blew my little mind.  (Milligan's short stint after Morrison is surreally entertaining if ultimately lightweight.  I wouldn't bother after that until you get to the new run.)

Most pleasing for me is that the team behind the new Animal Man, whilst taking it in a totally different direction  (again, if you've read Swamp Thing you know what to expect), have remembered to keep the soul of it the same.  Namely, the whole thing's as much about Buddy's family, and what it's like to have a superhero husband/Dad as it is about Buddy himself.  (Who remains, weirdly, a superhero who is rarely in charge of his destiny.)  Somehow both the original and the reboot have managed to do that without becoming unbearably cheesy.  (Although I've no idea whether the new version will keep it that way.)

(*by "here" I probably mean the old place.)
  • I have Animal Man TPB 1 (the Morrison one) on my shelf, I guess I should give it a read then?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Browsing local Waterstones on the way back from the gym and I bought the first book of Preacher. Sod finishing House of M i'm reading this first.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I have Animal Man TPB 1 (the Morrison one) on my shelf, I guess I should give it a read then?

Oh yes.  It has a slightly iffy start, but stick with it until "The Coyote Gospel" - if you enjoy that one, you'll love the entire run. (Right near the end of Morrison's stint it helps to have a little bit of knowledge of previous DC continuity, specifically Crisis, although you can pretty much work it out without.)
  • I bought these about 3 weeks ago
    61zsxfofnxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51jZN5WxhNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    And for some reason they've just sat there and I haven't read them. Must try harder.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    They're both excellent, and their stories are very much interlinked.

Aye, that's why I got intrigued; the plot over-lap with Swamp Thing, and the stonking reviews Animal Man has been getting.

Regarding Fear Itself, I enjoyed it. The problem was it wasn't what it was advertised to be. It felt to me like it wanted to be a story about when super heroes can't just punch the problem in the face, but that's exactly what it became - super heroes punching the problem in the face.

I haven't bothered at all with AvX. Partially because my local comic shop is a tad useless, but mostly because the reviews I've read haven't exactly been glowing. Apparently the issues to date have boiled down to one page of talking and the rest of the book is fighting, with 'fun facts' interspersed so there's actually something to read.

Given that AvX is all about the fights, it does make AvX: VS seem a tad extraneous, to boot.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Browsing local Waterstones on the way back from the gym and I bought the first book of Preacher. Sod finishing House of M i'm reading this first.

The whole of Preacher is very good. I really enjoyed it. A great choice.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • So after harping on about Animal Man and Swamp Thing yesterday, I discovered that the Animal Man Annual was released the same day.  Which is a crossover with Swamp Thing.  So you might want to check that out too.  (It's a stand alone story, but also basically a mini version of the story so far.  It's not the finest hour of either, but an entertaining read none the less.)

On a completely unrelated note, I've been reading this:

51fKZYBq5AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Generally I avoid any kind of fictional medical stuff, partly because it's too much like work, partly because the inaccuracies irritate me, but mostly because they are usually exploitative shit.  (Weirdly however, I seem to have quite a few comics on the subject.)  Fortunately, "When David Lost His Voice" feels neither exploitative nor like work.  It's beautifully illustrated, and surprisingly evocative, with some neat touches that come back to you when reflecting on it later.  (Recurring motifs both subtle and otherwise.)  
    It's the tale of a man who develops oesophageal cancer, and the impact it his on his wife and daughters.  The story is told from different perspectives, with occasional disorientating leaps in chronology, and strange elliptical dream sequences.  It's superficially bleak, but also rather wonderful.  (So much so that I can forgive the fact that, as ever, the fictional doctors don't say or do things that doctors actually do.)
    Also the book itself is a Beautiful Thing.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    So after harping on about Animal Man and Swamp Thing yesterday, I discovered that the Animal Man Annual was released the same day.  Which is a crossover with Swamp Thing.  So you might want to check that out too.  (It's a stand alone story, but also basically a mini version of the story so far.  It's not the finest hour of either, but an entertaining read none the less.)

Aye, I want to get the annual, but my local comic store is beyond useless. Might have to try to track it down via another supplier. I've given my local enough chances.

In other news, here's a quite interesting article about how Loki won in 'The Avengers'. Makes sense to me. Warning, article contains massive spoilers for 'The Avengers', 'Thor', and by association the rest of the Avengers films.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!