The Fighty/UFC Thread
‹ Previous12345
  • Apologies if this thread already exists, i searched and could not find one.
    This is to be the fighty thread!
    After watching the last few ufcs(woooo gooo conor!!! woooo! go team!!) I find myself getting interested in getting back into fisticuffs once more at the ripe old age of 32. I had to stop after a domestic injury.
    Over the years I've done muay thai,kickboxing,chen style tai chi and (a lot of )tae kwon do. Strewn throughout was some aikido. 
    So first off anyone got any recommendations for good punching drill vids?

I saw there was no UFC thread. So gonna pop some shizzle in here.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Get a double end bag, also get a double end bag
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I have this:
    92620_Perfect_Punch.jpg
  • Please Hammer, don't hurt him!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Does it move? It doesn't look like the most mobile opponent

This might be more use. Plus you can use the ceiling and floor brackets to put up a pole at other times and get the wife doing some work as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Hmm could well be worth a look! There might be one at the gym though. Yeah my punchy man isnt massively mobile. Still it does a job.
  • That's the darndest Fleshlight I've ever seen.
  • See that would've been my cue to just go into a deathstare at the mother 'til he hid behind the snacks aisle.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    This guy in the waitrose under JL Oxford circus who I think fancies me has told me I look like a famous brazillian cagefighter
    We both know that's where any such comparison ends.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    Gonzo wrote:
    This guy in the waitrose under JL Oxford circus who I think fancies me has told me I look like a famous brazillian cagefighter
    We both know that's where any such comparison ends.

Not true, Ozno loves wrestling men to the floor and pinning them down wearing naught but some skin tight hot pants.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • All the top cagefighters shop at Waitrose. It's got the best hummus around.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Combat is precisely that, lots of forearm work, I hate clinch and groundwork, mostly because I'm 5'9" and 11 stone. So I spend most of my time playing to my strengths, movement and using range. The double ended bag gets the reflexes working more than the power, but there's no point having the biggest punch of you can't land it
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I used to do a bit of boxing. I wouldn't mind getting back into that at some point.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Purest combat sport in the world
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Bags make you good at hitting bags. Punching drills?! We on Mr Han's island?! My reflexes were much better as a 13-year-old, but I couldn't hit shit when I started boxing, because I wasn't used to kids rolling under my shots, or closing distance when I threw overhand rights.

Most of you haven't had the experience of taking all your theory into a club and going home with a beetroot face. You know what's scary? Landing a good shot and not hurting him. Get a heavy bag, and have someone teach you how to turn over your punches. Sort your technique, and build up some power with reps on the bag and plyometric press-ups.

It takes a lot of time to learn when to slip, block or catch shots, and longer still to learn when to close the distance (most people instinctively flinch and recoil). You have to reprogram that instinct, for instinct is simply your memory bank choosing an automated response based on the outcomes of previous experiences. Because recoiling lessened the power of x number of punches, it's easy for your brain to accept recoiling as the best course of action. But once you've gone against your instincts successfully a few times, you begin to overwrite them.

I can extend a hook and maintain most of its power, but if you force me to shorten it then I'll lose a lot of my coil. At range, you do typically move away and to one side when a big shot's thrown (knowing which side to move to comes with experience, but never move straight back as a 90%-true rule).

In boxing, you roll with your hips and your shoulders follow. Even when you're just moving your shoulders a bit, you lead with your legs. Boxing footwork isn't nearly as involved as ice-skating or ballet, but it's a dance in all but name. Sadly, most trainers are crushingly hopeless. I trained with some good kids and learnt by osmosis - and boxing demands kinaesthetic learning - but trainers routinely fail their club members with a lack of biomechanical insight.

I could type a lot more, but if we're talking about fighting without rules, most of my boxing skills are no good to me. You can join a Krav Maga class, but I'd caution against treating anything it teaches as gospel. All martial arts fall into the trap of a-b-c assumptions. Some [much] more than others, is all. I once saw an angry Chinese lad trying to attack an old boxing mate. All kung-fu fingers aimed at the eyes and throat. My mate kept his chin down and - because he was able to read telegraphed aggression - just dapped around with the footwork equivalent of a saunter.

Go for the eyes! Go for the throat! Go for the balls! One and all are bollocks. Krav Maga's better because it teaches you the targets and has you attack whatever's on the table, but without experience of deploying it for real, it remains bogged down by theory.

To be good at brawling requires [in order] experience, strength and size. Stamina isn't such a problem, so go mad on the weights, bulk as much as possible, and tackle at the earliest opportunity.

Bruce is a legend for this business, but he wouldn't have been good enough to be an elite pro boxer (ams would've suited him, though), and his legacy is bullshido.

Boxing isn't the greatest fighting art, because - yes, it's true - it only utilises arms. However, unlike MMA, you can't go to ground when you're tired in boxing. When you're caught and hurt and too far to clinch, you can't tackle, and you can't take a count without - in your own mind - losing face. Psychologically, it's by far the toughest form of combat, and that's the reason why it's bred so many genuine tough guys. It frequently challenges pride in a way that MMA's rarely able to. Boxers are also, naturally, often the best punchers (well, some of 'em!).

You just get sparked, choked or submitted in UK and American MMA (it's not a laugh a minute, o' course, but I don't see its appeal as a halfway house between a refined art - like boxing or Pride - and brawling). The larger boxing gloves are likely more dangerous due to their increased impact diffusion (that's the way science is going), and ring ropes are a hazard for whiplash injuries. The MMA cage is actually, to date, safer.

It's not accurate to say that a top boxer would've been a better fighter had he learned Krav Muay Thai, because he'd have lost more via the hardships of a determined focus than he'd have gained from an improved skillset.
  • Don't forget to wax on, and then off.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Good post escape. Now I really want to get back in to boxing.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Army BA, was it?

I walk around at a near-perfect 165 for middle, but sod that for a game of soldiers. The spectator sees more of the misery.

WorKid wrote:
    Don't forget to wax on, and then off.

And if the kid starts slackin', use the belt.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, but not at Army level. Heavyweight but doubt I could get down to that weight no.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Some of the gaps in weight are silly in the ams. In my late-twenties I could still boil down to 140, walking around at ~147, but I'd say that 154 would be my limit as a pro now.

I'm happy to watch others! I do miss the training a little bit, though; as a casual. I'm gonna see if I can get my running up to scratch, so that I can join my active mates for a bit of their distance.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Are you talking lbs? I fought at just under 84kgs but there is no way I could get below 90 now. Loved sparring sessions at the end of the training day.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Pounds. You'd have to make 91 or fight at super-heavy.

Amateur welter is 69, and then there's a jump to middleweight at 75. I think that's too wide a gap - it's almost two pro divisions.

(That said, there are too many pro divisions overall.)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think I should have been fighting at cruiser weight but there was never enough competitors so I always got entered into heavyweight.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think my trainer wanted to get me down to light heavy, but at 6'3" and stocky, that was never going to happen.
  • Part of Escape's post reminds me of one of those full page true stories they used to print in FHM, from around fifteen years ago. This guy had pretty much got to the end credits on jujitsu, or a similar disclipline, got in a spot of bother outside a pub, and got annihilated by a regular triple-ripple neck guy who windmilled his way to victory. An ambulance was needed, plus an overnight stay courtesy of the NHS.

Dunno if it was true or not, they may have given a prize for the stories they printed. Sounds pretty plausible. They only other one I can remember is someone claiming it was them what done a poo in the Blue Peter garden.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mastering a fighting technique and being a hardened fighter are two different things it would seem.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Grappling is the worst possible thing to do in that situation because you commit yourself to being on the ground and getting a kicking from your attackers mates.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Mastering a fighting technique and being a hardened fighter are two different things it would seem.

Yeah, my methods are somewhat unorthodox but I can explode into fury at the drop of a tiny bowler hat.

• Nah punch drills as in some combo work to hammer out on my punchy man. the double bag thang would be good to get. Im looking into some mma clubs now, I dont feel like committing to one style anymore. My wife's sister is married to a BJJ black belt, he teaches in the gym that Conor McGregor goes to (big baws man is John Kavanagh) so if its not too expensive ill toddle off to that.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!