ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Comics, are they art? Dave Gibbons has just been announced as the 'comics laureate'

Is this the beginning of greater acceptance of comics as a valid form of literary artistic expression?

Alternatively is the medium being patronised by the fact that it's part of a push to improve literacy. So if you can't read, grab a comic as it has pretty pictures

I'd like to believe the former but being a grumpy old twat I'm leaning towards the latter

ps. Whilst I'm here can I get some android comic book readers recommendations and where to grab stuff from as well. Work is too boring
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Art is not a superlative, it just means 'authored piece of media'. It's good or bad or middling.

And comicbooks have been as legit as anything else for decades. You can do plenty of highly sophisticated things in them, and plenty of fucking idiotic things. 90% of any cultural produce is pish.
  • Urinal can be art, controlled vibrations of air can art, a copper plate on a floor can be art, an unmade bed a tent. Anything can be art.
  • Anything can be art.

....games?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think that the real question here is: how soon is it now art?
  • Is asking if things are art, now art?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • In Spain, what is art?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I am art, now?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How now brown artcow?
  • If someone who considers themselves an artist creates a piece of work and says it's art, then, it's art.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    If someone who considers themselves an artist creates a piece of work and says it's art, then, it's art.

Although, if you found an abstract painting in an attic, you'd know it was art without having the first clue as to who made it or what they considered it to be. Similarly, we almost certainly have works in galleries these days that were created by people who didn't consider themselves to be artists, but we still recognise them as art.
  • Comics had been legit for decades, and I also like that creators are trying to wrestle back the term comic from the pseudo intellectual "graphic novel" (see plenty of angry tweets about guardian writers mirthlessly trying to find a term that distances them from Marvel/DC)

As brooks says, it's 90% pish, but like as a medium it's closer to the DIY aesthetic of Music in the respect that anyone can do it, and if you go into a decent indie comic shop they will have everything from Bone to Sandman to Sacco's Palestine and then the properly off the wall limited stuff.

• Never understood the term graphic novel, unless something wasn't released as single issues.
  • Cos comics is for kids.

It was a lunge at legitimacy by people who worried that comic would conjours images of garish spandex tits and abs, now they're owning their legacy. Much better.

Blame the late 80s and early 90s for doing a number on the image.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What is the value of an art? What is its exchange rate? How many to the pound?

I really can't take it seriously as a currency at this moment in time.
  • And the web has only done good things for comicmaking. Here's a recent recc: Degen.
  • Yes I like that. It reminds me of the stuff by the guy who did Remake, and this other comic I have which is some weird love letter to SNES RPGs and DnD where a princess gets impregnated by a jellyfish king.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's why I was a little intrigued about using comics as a main weapon in a push to improve literacy

Makes me think they're demeaning the medium somewhat. As if the thinking was somehow comparing Spot The Dog to The Sandman
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • If it's literacy and English study etc. they could do themselves a favour and not study boring old shite like Dickens - god his writing bored the piss out of me. Plenty of more fun books to hook kids without having to go to comics.

But Gibbons has a good point about France and that - they've always loved comics and I adored Asterix as a kid. Getting a bit of recognition for the UK writers and artists along the way seems sensible to me. Can't really see a down side to the move TBH - teens should read Watchmen.
  • Comics must have legacy from funnies too.
  • Dickens is a wonderful author, arguably the greatest that England's ever produced.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    If someone who considers themselves an artist creates a piece of work and says it's art, then, it's art.

Although, if you found an abstract painting in an attic, you'd know it was art without having the first clue as to who made it or what they considered it to be. Similarly, we almost certainly have works in galleries these days that were created by people who didn't consider themselves to be artists, but we still recognise them as art.

duchamp-urinal.jpg
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not saying that all art can be recognised as such by someone coming in blind, but some certainly can and will be classified as such regardless of the artist's feelings on the matter, so the definition is clearly a bit more slippery than that.

And Chump, Dickens is fantastic, although some of his descriptions did go on a bit. Skip those and head to the narrative and he's amaze.
  • Again, that's why the only thing I care about is some kind of attribution to an author, whether by that author themselves or the critical context.

Then again I don't really make a distinction between 'cultural produce' and functional produce since ultimately it's all functional.
  • djchump wrote:
    Can't really see a down side to the move TBH - teens should read Watchmen.

Everyone should.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    ... And Chump, Dickens is fantastic, although some of his descriptions did go on a bit. Skip those and head to the narrative and he's amaze.
    "Skip the shit bits and it's not so shit"? 
    meh.

/is philistine
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kind of. Dickens was very influenced by literary realism, part of which involves very long, detailed and often quite tedious descriptions of streets, buildings, rooms or even people which can go on for pages. However, his whole schtick was to try to show the interconnectedness of society, something he did brilliantly and very influentially. I don't think that the adjective 'Dickensian' was used twice in the final series of The Wire by accident, I think it was a nod to their inspiration.
  • Who gives a shit about labels? Validity is for the insecure.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!