ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, I'm yet to find a gym in truth, so I'll likely slim that down. I do like to back up pushes with pulls so a lot of those are supersets, which makes it seem like less exercise. Will put something simple together this afternoon. I reckon is rather do full body every day anyway. I'm not taking supps so no real need to split out body parts
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Do it.  Take those extra few seconds between reps if it gets heavy.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Hey man, I've linked some bodyweight programmes to the OP if that might help you in the meantime.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Wheres the Hulka link in the OP?

Eat everything + Lift Everything = WIN!!
  • Hulk. SMASH!
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • HULK SMASH! CT FLETCHER INTRODUCES "DA HULK": http://youtu.be/X-bhwC3qz_Q
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • yeah I seen that them guys are serious! If I ever got that big though I'd probably just take up the cello.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You'd be shit at it, obviously.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • But I'd be in peak physical fitness!

I've actually just stoppped the 5x5 this week. Defo increases in strength and size, boomshakalaka! I cant load a screen grab of the op app for some reason.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Did some proper squats today, warmup on bar, then 60kg x 5 reps, then 2 sets of 90kg x 5 reps. Don't think it will take long to hit 100kg if I'm honest. Could get a touch lower I think with more practice, but far lower than I used to squat.

As it was shoulder day for me I added in OHP with the bar, but could on manage 50kg, went up to 55kg but could only manage 3 reps and form started to go. I definitely need to revisit the chapter on the press as I'm not getting the bounce off the hip right. I'm finding my lower back is taking the strain too much, once it's half way it's easy enough, it's that first bit before the nose that's a killer.

Any links to videos of people doing it properly as per the SS book?
  • b0r1s try squeezing your glutes and tensing your abs. This is for the OHP but feel free to try it ad-hoc.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • I only tried the press on SS way on Sunday. Felt awkward. Wanted to just use dumbells instead. But I'll stick to it and try it again this Sunday. I don't get the whole hip action thing either.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Any links to videos of people doing it properly as per the SS book?

Yeah, no worries.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I only tried the press on SS way on Sunday. Felt awkward. Wanted to just use dumbells instead. But I'll stick to it and try it again this Sunday. I don't get the whole hip action thing either.
    The hip thrust was intended to help the bar pop off the shoulders and promote a more vertical bar path rather than lifting it around your face, but not in the push-press kind of way.  Check the SS site/forums, he may have revised it since then.
  • Don't we already have a thread for this?
    GT: Knight640
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Apparently we've hijacked most of the threads on the forum with our roid-raging tiny-cock meathead antics, so we've struck out on our own.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Chins on Olympic rings are hard.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Chins on Olympic rings are hard.

Holy Fuck I was talked into a press up routine with Olympic Rings once. I almost died from DOMS the day after.

aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s try squeezing your glutes and tensing your abs. This is for the OHP but feel free to try it ad-hoc.

Yep doing that. Guessing it's a timing thing and I also think I could be closer to my face on the way up so my MA is probably too big.

Going to finish my normal weight programme tomorrow and starting Monday start with the SS programme.

The book could do with some editing. I was getting a bit tired of the detail. While I appreciate that for a sports scientist or PT the detail is invaluable I found the way it was written is certainly too complex for the typical reader with too many medical terms to remember as you read.

It needs to be edited into a kind of this is what you need to do for proper form, then a laymen's this is why, then detail for the scientists.

It would also have been helpful to have put the routine earlier on in the book so you have context. Admittedly on a printed book I could flick back and forth, but not easy on a Kindle. The programming should at least have come before the assistance exercises that aren't even introduced for the novice.

Anyway, going to give it a go properly next week.

For whoever suggested Jefit do you know if you can just setup a split A/B routine? Seems I can only do a single day per routine?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I thought you used to be able to, however you can set the days to numerical rather than mon-sun and then do it from there. Then in the description just state that day 1 is Monday A and day 5 is Monday B

On start a workout you select which one you want to do anyway
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • b0r1s wrote:
    b0r1s try squeezing your glutes and tensing your abs. This is for the OHP but feel free to try it ad-hoc.

Yep doing that. Guessing it's a timing thing and I also think I could be closer to my face on the way up so my MA is probably too big.

Going to finish my normal weight programme tomorrow and starting Monday start with the SS programme.

The book could do with some editing. I was getting a bit tired of the detail. While I appreciate that for a sports scientist or PT the detail is invaluable I found the way it was written is certainly too complex for the typical reader with too many medical terms to remember as you read.

It needs to be edited into a kind of this is what you need to do for proper form, then a laymen's this is why, then detail for the scientists.

It would also have been helpful to have put the routine earlier on in the book so you have context. Admittedly on a printed book I could flick back and forth, but not easy on a Kindle. The programming should at least have come before the assistance exercises that aren't even introduced for the novice.

Anyway, going to give it a go properly next week.

For whoever suggested Jefit do you know if you can just setup a split A/B routine? Seems I can only do a single day per routine?

I listened to a podcast Rippetoe was on a while back and he did address this by saying he was trying to give the user maximum value for money. He did almost ridicule people who complained by saying he could just take out a bunch of information and charge just the same. I think he Kind of missed the point though and should be using the feed back to make his book more usable. I've always thought that he should have a separate routine and basic form check section and then put the rest of the information in a reference section. As it is, learning form from the boom almost requires going to YouTube which shouldn't be the case. This is why I switched to Strong Lifts. It's so easy to use but I go back to the SS manual for reference material.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • From lurking his Q&A on the website he's not always great at understanding feedback, he's sometimes a little dismissive. I guess swimming against the tide for so long has made him sensitive to perceived criticism even when its presented very constructively and from the same view of things as him.
    GT: Knight640
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I only tried the press on SS way on Sunday. Felt awkward. Wanted to just use dumbells instead. But I'll stick to it and try it again this Sunday. I don't get the whole hip action thing either.

I never got the hip-thrust method either, it seems to make the lift more of an old-school Olympic press. Like so:

• Have a look at Alan Thrall on YouTube. I've found his tutorials really useful. It's helpful to watch a couple of people doing the same thing but they all articulate a little different.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    I never got the hip-thrust method either, it seems to make the lift more of an old-school Olympic press. Like so:

I've added more resources on the OP.

Have a look at Alan Thrall here. I've found his videos the most helpful. And he has a beard.

aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • I like the how not to do it videos.
  • Thrall guy doesn't have bar always over mid-foot on press? Doesn't look like an all-vertical path.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I can't comment. I'm shit at OHP...
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!