Strength [+2]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    So technically my PB should be 3x5 on 50kg Press as my Bench PB is 3x5 on 75kg.

3x5 paused at the top, rather than at the bottom (unless you're pausing your bench at the bottom).
  • Paused at top, aye.

Did same this weekend. 3,2,2 on 50kg. I’ll get there.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • This is also after full intensity squats, bench and deadlift. So maybe if I did press first, I’ll do better. :)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks for the link Skerret, I'll do some reading about it today.

Want to build enough strength and mobility to start looking into some more gymnastic exercises next year. L-sits, pistols, maybe get some rings, I've already made some paralettes from pvc pipes, but I'm not strong enough yet. Should be fun. Still want to do strength, but also work on skills at the end of a workout.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    This is also after full intensity squats, bench and deadlift. So maybe if I did press first, I’ll do better. :)

Definitely. It's really hard on your core, so all the other compound lifts are going to take away kgs from your lifts. Bench in particular is going to really kill it!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Paused at top, aye.

Did same this weekend. 3,2,2 on 50kg. I’ll get there.
    Get right under the bar ASAP. Quicker you get under it the stronger your push.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Aight. Will do. Incidentally I did lighter presses yesterday and was practising the pushing-head-through bit. 42.5kgx5x5.
  • Do any of you guys do supine grip barbell rows? I started doing them but I think they were irritating my forearms. Gone back to prone (and wider) grip now.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Heh, the trainer area here has a whiteboard with a "quote of the month", last month it was something about mountains, this month's "when I exercise I wear all black. It's like a funeral for my fat".

Felt like I needed to share that.
  • Holy Moses, I've been so busy the last two weeks I've not had anytime to train or sleep and been eating mostly pizza, chocolate and donuts! I've put on 4kgs it's insane...  :(  Back to the grind tomorrow to try and get rid of this.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Oh no! Train hard!

One of the directors brought in Krispy Kreme today. They’re my weakness (among many other things) but I was so proud of myself to have resisted. Specially as it was gym day and I have a bad habit of thinking “it’s ok, I’ll burn it off later” which is bullshit.

Session was bad though. Lack of sleep over last few days took its toll. Next sesh is Saturday, hopefully can get sleep and smash it.
  • It's the worst when you have all that super tasty food and you have to turn it down. I just used stress as an excuse to eat like shit! But I did feel much better working through the night not having to worry about calories or nutrition or anything at all though!
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Trying to end the year on a high, but caught some germs and not feeling great. Was psyching myself up for a heavy session today. Alas, I fear it won’t be so mega but I will give it my all. Which will then duck my immune system for a it and make me worse. 

Good session a few days ago, 3 new PBs although setup was slightly different for two of the exercises which meant perhaps reduced RoM helping me lift heavier weights. Wish all setups could be the same but my usual squat/power rack station was taken. 

It was:

OHP: 50kg x 4,3,3. Previous was 3,2,2. 
    Barbell rows: 70kg x 8,7,7. Previous was 6,6,6. But was rowing off pins rather than floor (Pendlay).
    Barbell shrugs: 120kg x10. Previous was 110x5. However, shorter RoM on new PB, the rack I was using could only give me pin heights too high or too lower than usual setup. Even standing on couple of plates I couldn’t get usual bar height.
  • What a shit end to the year. Now have a shitty cough and puked out massive green/brown chunks earlier. Hopefully not a chest infection, fucking hurts the chest when I cough hard.

Was gonna go gym later today and then try another heavy session on Sunday or Monday to end the year. Looks unlikely.
  • It's going round bud, missus had it now I have it. Chest feels awful. Dry cough as well. Hopefully will go away by Tuesday as I wanna hit the workout trail with avengeance.
  • I was hoping to do a kill-myself session before taking a break. Cos I know gym will be heaving in Jan with those retards that had too much food over the break.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Gym going well over here, knee has been troublesome but heavy KB swings and some heavy barbell hip thrusts seem to be helping a lot.

Back up to 27.5 for weighted chins and minimal/no forearm pain (woo), bench is hovering around 90 but change in eating has pushed that back a bit, OHP at 55 for 5x3 (couldn't get the quality at 3x5).

Squat hovers between 90 and 105 knee dependent but was ok yesterday, 97.5 with some instability.

Power cleans still at 60 but only because the slightest hint of bad form and my forearm packs it in. Sigh. Might give snatches a go as my shoulders are feeling pretty stable. Can do weighted dips again for the first time in YEARS without pain.

Also I've cut three kg and gained a bit of muscle mass to boot so it's goin as well as it has for a long time. Test my deadlift every so often and still have 160 fairly comfortably but can't push it regularly because of my arm, so it's a once every few months proposition.

ZOOZAZAH
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Woooo! All sounds positive, keep it up mate. 

I didn’t go today. Gonna rest tomorrow then have a session on Sunday.

Oh, I did go on 27th. But as expected, wasn’t mega. Went like this. 

Squats. 110kg x5,4,4. Nearly same as previous PB of same weight 3x5.

Bench. 72.5kg x3x5. Equalled best of earlier this year but not as good as previous PB (75x3x5) and I continue to kinda struggle. Need to add volume perhaps and get better. 

Deadlift. So I thought I did 120 easily for 5 with normal grip, no chalk, and impressed myself. So I added weight and managed 6 reps, besting PB by 1 rep. Was feeling so hype, thought I’d add more cos I might just do it. Then I looked at the setup and... it was 120. Not even my previous best. So earlier must’ve been 110, not 120. No wonder it felt easy. I miscalculated the weight. Felt fucking deflated and out of energy now and demotivated so I just left. :(
  • Happy New Year, ‘lifters! I had a final session of the year. 2 new PBs, kinda. Will post a year in review later. 

Hope we all make gains in 2018. 

Keep on lifting!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Urgh, seriously hurt my lower back this morning, am still in some kind of pain.

Set for today was 
    Deadlift 
    1–2 sets 5 reps
    Dumbbell Lunge
    3–4 sets 8–12 reps
    Calf Raise 
    3–4 sets 10–12 reps
    Hack Squat 
    2–3 sets 10–12 reps

I looked up what a hack squat was and thought there should be better options, one suggestion substitute were hip thrusts. As I've done those with my PT in the past, I thought they'd be my best bet. Started with a 40lbs barbell last week, went up to a 50lbs this week, not crazy heavy or anything. Must have over extended in the last set, as I felt some serious pain in the second set. Tried 1 or 2 more reps, but those didn't feel better. Urgh, hope it's better tomorrow. Think the biggest difference between now and then is that my PT used a low step up, and I used a bench now, which is about double height, might be easier to overextend that way.

What would people recommend? Do the hack squat anyway? (I don't feel very comfortable with the idea of doing squats locked in a machine). Do hip thrusts with a lower bench? Glute bridges?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Heavy kettle bell swings is my recommendation. Hip thrusts are ok provided they are controlled and yeah, a lower bench to lean against is better I think. Keep the reps high for both.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Good one. Might go for the swings over the thrusts, it's just a pain to set up. All benches in the gym are fixed to the floor, so they won't move. If I can find a low bench I'd need to put something heavy behind it. And since they're on the same day as deadlifts, which also takes up time to set up, thanks to the hex plates, I'm not sure I can be bothered with that.

I'd need to feel better first though, nothing changed much during the day and that is slightly worrying.
  • Fucking rotator cuff injury fucking fuck fuck. And now I’m miserable that I’m not going gym today.

Did it by falling awkwardly.... in a bouncy castle. Badly overstretched the right arm backwards. Stoopid.
  • Icing it like crazy at the mo.
  • Lol hylian_elf change the story when you tell peeps at work find out or your gonna get shit loads of abuse. Lol though. Bouncy castle.
  • I blame my cousin who decided to do somersaults and other shit. He is quite athletic though but I couldn’t let him outdo me! Except he did. In more than one way. 

Still. I can squat and deadlift more than him. Just not right now. (Actually, I should be able to deadlift? Just need to keep arms straight so no rotation etc so should be fine?)
  • Hylian_elf I would suggest resting that shoulder for a while and concentrate on any other body part exercises.

I hurt my wrist back in November doing boxing. I haven't boxed since. Did other exercises to compensate. Only now can I do a proper pushup on that wrist without feeling pain.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    DL should be fine if your shoulders are otherwise solid, but keep an eye on and test it with anything you do. Don't fuck around with shoulders, it's like they are designed to fuck up
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Fucking rotator cuff injury fucking fuck fuck. And now I’m miserable that I’m not going gym today. Did it by falling awkwardly.... in a bouncy castle. Badly overstretched the right arm backwards. Stoopid.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Lol

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!