Strength [+2]
  • 92ish - my scales have broken/ran out of battery, and the gym scales are wrong (too light). I think if I can lose 5ish kg I might be able to get a single for bodyweight, though I'm not sure that the formulas work like for ohp since the first rep always starts from the bottom. Perhaps with a forced stretch reflex, but I haven't practiced that yet.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Call them a retard and tell them to fuck off. 

Ha, I did my best to explain that it's always 2.5kg more if you use them. Sometimes blood stops flowing to people's brains, so you've got to cut them some slack. The whole situation just makes me chuckle, looking back.

There was a pretty Chinese girl (being presumptions, but Huawei has an office next to the gym) getting a PT session a few days ago. Every opportunity she got she was texting, including any exercise that did not include her hands (so on the stepper, texting, standing between sets, texting, all while the PT looked on). I have never seen anything like it.
  • Appreciate you all mfs aren't as hyped as me, but I hit another squat pr (145x5) so that's 4 prs over 3 lifts over the past 1-2 weeks.

I'm supposed to be dieting too, so not sure where this has all come from.

Edit: it's because I'm using a belt now... Not sure why that didn't immediately spring to mind, though that would just be squats.
  • Good man, keep at it!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Following a month in Italy and a nasty illness on return I am down to 73kg which is the lightest I've been since reaching adulthood and I have lost a remarkable amount of strength and conditioning, visibly. I am very thin, chest basically gone (was always the first thing to diminish, the flake) and my first gym session in five weeks merely aggravated each of the five injuries I currently have and I feel pretty defeated by it all.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Maybe it's time to think about jacking it in altogether? Or at least lifting for volume rather than heavy weights.

There comes a time when you have to consider the impact on your body and how it's going to affect your quality of life as you get older.
  • Oh shit man. Just rest up and take it slow. Sounds like you need to slowly build strength up and nurse those injuries.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    What a morning today, felt like shit after 4 intense days already but decided to go in for some Oly lifting. 2 PBs! 86kg Snatch and 100kg power clean and jerk :)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yes thank you Haak
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No but srsly nice work
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    MoesTavern wrote:
    Maybe it's time to think about jacking it in altogether? Or at least lifting for volume rather than heavy weights.

There comes a time when you have to consider the impact on your body and how it's going to affect your quality of life as you get older.
    Never. I have been mixing it up for a while with volume and am limiting the compound movements, but this is for life and fucked if I'm going to be weedy and skinny fat like a dweeb. I was in top nick not two months ago and I will be again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I want to start tomorrow on a good kick , going back to work a week early for results and so on. I know that the basics of diet are fewer calories in than out, but I've also given up my gym membership because money. I am also kicking booze into the can for August except my birthday.
    I do have access to the school gym which has the basics, and as far as I thought it was told you do the exercises that use more muscles first (eg running) then move onto more focused ones. Anything there wrong or that I should change?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Pec implants.
    Yes how are they working out for you
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @reg compound exercises best, yes.

Wrong? Is running all you're doing? What are you trying to achieve?
  • Skerret wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Pec implants.
    Yes how are they working out for you
    Haw haw haw
  • I got up early and ran* to the gym today for a brief workout before work. This is something I've been trying to get myself to do for...ooo about 2 years (I think that's how long it's been).
    the aim is to try to do this every day for a couple of weeks and see if i can get into a routine, but we shall see about that! ;)

*well, loped at an average speed slightly quicker than my normal stroll.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Best to try and develop the habit now. Roll on the shit weather and this will become an Herculean task.
  • My brain-tumoured mate is running a half-marathon next year, for a cancer charity (obv). I’d love to train up and join him. Maybe for a different cancer charity. But I don’t wanna lose my strength and muscle mass. :(
  • Long runs, continue weights. Supplement with creatine. Low rep high weight. Muscle should stick around.
  • Sweet, I’ll give creatine another go. Maybe a more soluble version rather than monohydrate which occasionally gave me gut issues.
  • When did it i had barely noticeable loss but was knackered, however, i was most prob carrying a slightly higher body fat percentage than you.
  • I was reading about comparing strengths and who is the best powerlifter etc etc. There’s obviously absolute strength and guys like Eddie Hall are big monsters. But there are formulas and shit that do relative strength scores. One of them devised by some guy somewhere uses allometric scaling priniciples rather than being based on historic best lifts etc. Seems like a better more scientific way to do it. (In short, it’s a relationship between your weight and how much you lift and when used on historic records, seems to give a streamlined consistent result across weight classes.)

So I’ve gone back through my lifting history for past 3 years (since I started using my current iOS app) and checked my allometric scores for my best lifts on the 3 powerlifts. I did this cos I’ve lost weight recently and been pushing lighter weights. Just wanted to see how I was comparing to my best from last year or before. 

I was surprised to find that my bench and deadlift were almost better but squat was lagging. I thought it was the other way round!

If I hadn’t gone on holiday (and put on a bit of weight), I may have set new personal relative strength bests recently!
  • How does it compare to Wilks? I've got an app on my phone which does that one, so I just use that.
  • So which ant won the relative strength contest? Was it Dwayne?
  • Below is the article I read. Only compares competitive powerlifters of a certain federation to show that his formula gave consistent result. The issue I think he says with Wilks formula is that it’s based on some existing data that doesn’t get updated (much) and the formula is too complex.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/whos-the-most-impressive-powerlifter/
  • That's a long article. It should have stopped at the picture of the little chap squatting because that kind of makes the point.
  • Nah, the principle isn’t the point. The principle is well understood and is general knowledge to anyone with half a brain. Ants spiders etc. It’s having a more accurate formula to compare lifters so you can say nah mate my favourite Ed Coan was stronger than Larry Wheels etc.

If it stopped at the picture, I wouldn’t have a way of seeing whether I am stronger than before or not. (Mostly not.)
  • Stronger means you lift more weight. I think Wilks etc. is good for comparing different lifters, but in terms of your own progress I think it is less/not relevant. 

Plus, unless you're absolutely pushing your genetic limits, gaining back the strength you've lost during weight loss without gaining the fat that came with it is probably easier than losing the weight in the first place.
  • Martin Berkhan finally released his Leangains book but only download. Can’t seem to buy from Amazon for my Kindle app. Dunno why.

Edit: Googled it. Can’t buy from app, have to go via web browser. Apparently cos Amazon don’t like/want Apple collecting money from things bought via their apps. So amazon stopped it. Lol. Didn’t know that, haven’t bought anything for Kindle in yonks.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ha good god, really. There's a skinny blast from the chubby past.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!