Strength [+2]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Holiday from work and other stuff, yes. Not from keeping active and being healthy.  I’m not gonna stop doing mountain climbing or trekking on holiday for example  just because some people think it’s all about being a lazy fuck by a beach and pool wasting time.

Going out and about on holiday and exploring /walking / hiking and stuff i don't consider exercise. Working out in a gym on holiday i do consider exercise. Each to their own though and all that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    LUC is the most useful one in practice innit.

Was going through this thread trying to find a particular post. Spied this and I only just noticed that LUC here is 'lucre' not 'luck'
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Anyone else find they feel they should be stronger than they are sometimes? I feel my bench press fucking sucks but don't know how to improve. I'll struggle for a set of 8 at 60kg (on bar over bench). Yet my deadlift is 5x115kg and my squat is 10x110kg or thereabouts
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Suicide grip on the bar? That will push you further. You mixing up dumbbells and bar? They’ll push each other forward. Is it just a mental block? If so you need someone to help push you through with a spot. Also, tell me how you bench press in terms of set structure! How many sets, starting weight etc.
  • Just regular grip mate. I do three sessions a week. One session I do bench press, another I do floor press (lying on floor and use dumbbells) and another session has incline dumbbell chest press.

When I bench I'll warm up a couple of sets of about 40, then I'm doing 4x8 reps. Usually 50, then 55 then 60.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Just regular grip mate. I do three sessions a week. One session I do bench press, another I do floor press (lying on floor and use dumbbells) and another session has incline dumbbell chest press.

When I bench I'll warm up a couple of sets of about 40, then I'm doing 4x8 reps. Usually 50, then 55 then 60.

Switch to suicide grip straight away dude, you’ll gain 5-10% quickly through that. It’s a natural grip for pushing, normal grip is unnatural so will hold you back. Also stop doing weight you know you can do, start doing what you know you can’t. Straight in after warming up go to 60, don’t waste power on weights you can do too easily. Push yourself.
  • It's just food the day before (or on the day) sleep and general energy levels. 
    I'm up to 80kg bench one day and then I can barely lift it the following week. 
    But on the same day I don't struggle with incline bench at all. 
    It's all a bit weird.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've been banging out an "abs app" that is a 30 day programme. I'm 19 days in and my tummy hurts every time I move which I assume is a good thing.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Just regular grip mate. I do three sessions a week. One session I do bench press, another I do floor press (lying on floor and use dumbbells) and another session has incline dumbbell chest press.

Switch to suicide grip straight away dude, you’ll gain 5-10% quickly through that. It’s a natural grip for pushing, normal grip is unnatural so will hold you back. Also stop doing weight you know you can do, start doing what you know you can’t. Straight in after warming up go to 60, don’t waste power on weights you can do too easily. Push yourself.

Will give it a go dude thanks!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Anyone else find they feel they should be stronger than they are sometimes? I feel my bench press fucking sucks but don't know how to improve. I'll struggle for a set of 8 at 60kg (on bar over bench). Yet my deadlift is 5x115kg and my squat is 10x110kg or thereabouts

You're never going to be equally strong in all lifts anyway. You'll always be better at some than others. :D
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Basically the only real lift I have left but up to 170kg 2x5 for deadlift yeew
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Fuuuuu
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • After fuckng my MCL, and being tentative I have started weighted squats again. Also rugby training has finished so need to strengthen up over the summer. Feels good. That's all.
  • 5x10 x100. Last night, all feels stable, no knee pain this morn. Hamstring is a little tight as is adductor.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Just regular grip mate. I do three sessions a week. One session I do bench press, another I do floor press (lying on floor and use dumbbells) and another session has incline dumbbell chest press. When I bench I'll warm up a couple of sets of about 40, then I'm doing 4x8 reps. Usually 50, then 55 then 60.

Suicide grip for bench? I don't think I've ever tried it for bench, but I won't OHP any other way. I might give it a go tonight and see if it makes any difference. After I've seen if I can do it without a spotter ofc.

Edit: it also means I get to use more chalk, which is my fetish.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    100 sets is a lot Griff, maybe try increasing the weight
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Fuuuuu
    helf

At this rate I should be able to pull 190kg 1RM; if I can crack 200 by year's end I'll be very happy.

I am considering peptides given my advancing years, where is Vere
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Haw haw, will drop from 5 sets when I am not fearful of damaging anything.
  • 10 sets of 100reps with 5kg actually sounds really Torrington...

But yeah. Unless your goal is endurance, seems like you could do much higher weights. 5 sets of 10 with 100kg is a lot! What’s your max, 160?
  • Dunno what my max is any more.
  • Yeah don’t get back to high intensity too quickly after MCL issues! Slowly slowly.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48396071

Fertility paradox in male beauty quest

Scientists have uncovered an evolutionary paradox where men damage their ability to have children during efforts to make themselves look more attractive.

Taking steroids to get a buff physique or anti-baldness pills to keep a full head of hair can damage fertility.

It has been named the Mossman-Pacey paradox after the scientists who first described it.

They say it causes a lot of heartache in couples struggling to conceive......
  • Surely it can't be an evolutionary paradox if they're taking artificial products to achieve it?
  • It’s a ridiculously sweeping statement to get media attention. The same can be said of alcohol, drugs, smoking, a number of things. And again they should be using the word ‘abuse’ not ‘use’. Are they taking into account cycling? PCT’s? HCG? Of course abusing steroids, especially testosterone could result in infertility. If that sentence shocks anybody they’re an idiot.
  • It’s so stupid, I didn’t even want to comment on it.

Dammit I now have.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    This isn't the tinfoil hat thread.

Going for 175 2x5 next week and on paper should be able to manage 200, grelps. If I do not return it is because I have been rent in twain.
  • Skerret wrote:
    This isn't the tinfoil hat thread.

Going for 175 2x5 next week and on paper should be able to manage 200, grelps. If I do not return it is because I have been rent in twain.

No it's not, but its relevant to working out. Even if you dont agree with the conclusions. Not saying I do.
  • I've been running the new Internet hotness nsuns program, which is a combo of 5/3/1 and sheiko. The volume is absolutely nuts. Combined with running before I do weights my gym sessions have become long and brutal.

Hopefully it will actually make my Ohp go up. I've been stuck for ages, though admittedly haven't been trying as hard since I decided to start running.

77.5kg for my Ohp amrap set tonight.... We will see.
  • I tried doing running and weight programs simultaneously, but I ended up feeling absolutely destroyed. I’m sure there is a way to work them together properly, but running a full program of both was a really bad idea.
  • I'm hoping I'll get more used to it - the first week was absolutely brutal, but it's getting better. Running in the days after starting squats back up was awful.

I think main problem is time. Running takes somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour, and then doing a bit of cooling down, changing shoes and over to the weights for an hour and a half. I end up in the gym for up to 3 hours 5 days a week. I'm not sure how sustainable that is.
  • Running and weight training together sounds stupid. Warm up run, fair enough, but both properly?! Hmmm.

If I was to run, it would be after weights rather than before. Even then it would be light running and give several hours gap.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!