Strength [+2]
  • voices wrote:
    I'm not sure how sustainable that is.

Unless you’re superhuman, I don’t think it is sustainable at all. Specially 5 days a week.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah, I lasted a couple of weeks before getting some serious pains and risking big injuries. So full run and light weights, or warm up run and proper weights. By all means alternate. Both is...well, a risk not worth taking, in my experience, and probably not sustainable.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I wonder if we place too much faith in specificity. I think back to being younger and we'd generally do between 3 and 10 miles a day, heavy circuits every other day, and bodyweight work pretty much all the time. I looked alright back then

equally I wasn't an old man then
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Running and weights is fine, don't be pussies. I'm not out there running my guts out, just getting some cardio in. I've been doing some combination of this for 6 months and it's been fine with no injuries (though I haven't been squatting or deadlifting much - even now my weights are much lower for those lifts). I think you should expect more of yourselves.

I find weights after running much easier than the other way around. I won't do a huge run before or after squats/deadlifts. Not because it's a bad idea, just really cannot be arsed with how shit it feels.
  • Fair enough - you know what works for you.
  • Cardio post weights has the best effect on burning calories/fat iirc
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, I'm so unfit that 5*5 is cardio
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Actually it probably is a bad idea to squat immediately after running, so I will concede that. Upper body compound lifts are fine, and low rep deadlifts also seem kind of OK. Squats scare me.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Cardio post weights has the best effect on burning calories/fat iirc

I think any impact is negligible, and it's more important to do what feels easier to improve the chances of doing either.

• After all that I ended up doing a single kilometer of running before sacking it off for weights.
  • 85kg OHP for a triple. So close to a bodyweight single now.
  • Badass!

I just been gym, got a shake from Protein Haus on the way to station. Asked for organic whey. Sorry, we only have organic vegan. Ok, just choc whey then. Vegan? No, whey, I don’t want vegan.

*mumbling among staff as they prepare my shake*
    Choc vegan? No he wants whey. It’s vegan. Vegan whey. Oh ok, maybe that’s what he wants. 

I just leaned over and said please make sure it’s whey. I didn’t say anything more in case they infuriate me. I mean, vegan whey? That’s a fucking oxymoron. I was being served by morons.
  • Maybe the cows gave their consent?
  • My left trap hurts benching, halp.
  • Fuck, had to quit session after just squats. Was so hyped for today too. Right arm went dead, painful too, even from just gently holding bar on back.

I had woken up yesterday with awkward somewhat dead arm. (Might have slept awkwardly or needed more tight muscles and needed more stretching after Friday gym session, mayber.) Seemed ok as day went yesterday, but clearly it’s not ok.

Think it could be tight muscle pressing on a nerve, particularly when arm is raised? Cos I did housework all day yesterday without needing to raise arm. Might do some foam rolling and stretching and see how it goes.
  • Had this problem before to a lesser extent. It was the scalenes last time, probably is them again. So I’ll just do some manual trigger point shit on my self again, worked last time.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    "scale-ness" or "more than one scalene"

I often get numbness in one arm or another, I think it's down to being skinny and the but if the elicits (hole in the elbow) the nerve runs through being very small
  • I meant scalenes, triangle shaped group of muscles along the neck. Dunno which one (anterior, medial, etc) so just used the plural.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I am now 97kg, was 73kg at the same time last year.  Gonna cut I think.  Deadlift is up to 180 @ 2x5 so will try for two hunnerd before the month is out hopefully.

Have resorted to combining kettlebells and dumbbells for rows cos the DBs only go up to 40; this along with heavy sled (managed 240kg fairly comfortably last time) are the only other heavy things I do now.  Still squat but hovering around 110 cos ridicujoints, so go for volume instead. 

The rest is unilateral work.  None of my work shirts fit any more.  Vere halp
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Whoa, 97kg?! Fuuuuck

I’m still only 72kg. Slowly working up. Taking a few days off gym cos of aforementioned issue. Just had a deep tissue massage and the guy just killed my back. Tonnes of bloody knots around shoulder blade.

Maybe I’m not doing enough maintenance in terms of hot baths/sauna, foam rolling, stretching etc.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Older I get the more critical that stuff becomes
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Ha, I forgot the age factor. Here I was thinking maybe I’m just more prone to this than others for some reason. That bloody reason could be age, gonna be 40 this year!!!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    40 in December, hold me
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Me too twinny
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    :O
  • Hmmm. Well into intermediate on squat and deadlift, but just below intermediate on bench.
  • There's a few of those floating about - the ex-rx are the ones I started out with, but I can't see them due to firewall. I think they're broadly similar, though might be a bit more generous with 'advanced' (i.e. lower lifts required). I'm approaching 'advanced' on all the lifts bar squat, which I've stopped going heavy on until I can sort my forward lean out (or just not go heavy on again, no sweat - I like deadlifts more).

OHP on that site requires a greater than 1x BW lift for advanced (which is stronger than 80% of lifters). I've never seen a body weight overhead press in person, so I'm not convinced this is something that 20% of lifters can do (The most I've seen someone else put on the bar was 70kg, and that was years ago). I don't think it's that popular a lift, and a lot of people shy away due to shoulder issues. Maybe it's just the gyms I've been going to; when I was going to a gym with actual strong people ohp wasn't a popular lift.
  • Had my first Olympic lifting training session. I. FEEL. FUCKED. 

Never has an empty bar felt so heavy and tiring. Was ok by the end of the hour though as I started getting used to using (different) muscles in a different way.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ooh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!