The robots are coming. Restructure the economy. Go.
  • Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • That's one car in a test though, fill the roads with millions of them and how many crashes, bugs and failures will we have?
    It would be even safer. A hazard spotted by one car could be tagged for all the cars behind it.

I doubt a child born today will bother earning a drivers license in 17 years.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I am less convinced.
    Planes and trains are or can be fully automated but even they have people monitoring them remotely and are on set courses.

There is human error to be factored in even without a driver.
  • Age of Ultron looks bad ass btw. Im sure hes a good driver.
  • Thats because hazard detection has been shit until now. Robot cars have no blindspot, they can detect hazards 100m away and in darkness, they don't get drunk or tired, don't get distracted by kids in the back or a woman in a miniskirt, and their reaction times are already better than any human could ever be.

This is happening.
  • Is it fuck.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Can I have a driverless camper van? Couple of cans, a film and a good sleep, wake up in the south of France for the weekend.
  • Yes. All these good things are coming but god knows how we're going to pay for it all cos all of our jobs will be taken by robots.
  • I think widespread retro fitting of old cars with driverless tech is unlikely. Manufacturers won't be keen because then less people will buy a new car and they'll make little money from the systems themselves.
    And fully driverless cars for sale in most show rooms on their mid and low range models is going to take a long time. It would need to have been well-tested and proven before people are comfortable with it. But HGVs, taxis, these could all come in quite quickly. Taxi drivers are now just the eyes, hands and feet of their satnav overlords. And the use of driverless cars in industry will get people used to the tech.
  • We wont need money.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can also imagine the cars directly comunicating with each other.  "I am turning right in 100m" and the cars following know when to slow down, and on coming traffic can adjust its speed so that the car can turn with virtualy no effect on the flow of traffic.
  • Thats exactly how I imagine it also. Traffic lights would be almost unnecessary except for pedestrians to cross. even if the cars were kept slow in cities the average journey time would shorted due to improved traffic flow. it would nearly be possible to 'drive' around London in rush hour.
  • You won't need traffic lights when it's all going full tilt. But before then the traffic lights will be networked with the cars.
  • You could even have the build up of pedestrians at a crossing transmitted to the cars, which auto stop when it reaches a certain threshold, saving all that, erm, single button press.
  • But if the people were robots it'd be seamless.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, so the traffic lights tell the cars to stop, rather than the car having to see that it should stop due to the traffic light.
  • They will have invented a robot to press the button by that time.
  • Want date are we wholesale switching to robotic cars?
  • 2097. Oh ait thats anti-grav.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Thats because hazard detection has been shit until now. Robot cars have no blindspot, they can detect hazards 100m away and in darkness, they don't get drunk or tired, don't get distracted by kids in the back or a woman in a miniskirt, and their reaction times are already better than any human could ever be. This is happening.

Also it can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead safely at your destination.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can see major cities being driverless in 30 years.
  • Instead of robot cars we should just use the tech we have to not drive across the country to sit in an office and stare at another screen.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You can't have people sat at home being unproductive when they can do that in an office.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    You won't need traffic lights when it's all going full tilt. But before then the traffic lights will be networked with the cars.

In the interim period, all cars set off in an efficient train when the lights turn green. Non of this current bullshit of not paying attention, fucking about with the controls, pulling off as slowly as possible, fucking impossibly slow reaction speed or all of the above so when you're only five cars back, the light is back on red by the time you get to the line.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • You can't have people sat at home being unproductive when they can do that in an office.

Sorry boss.
  • I can see the attraction - old people, regular commuters, efficiency obsessed delivery companies, taxi firms. It does seem like a legal nightmare though - people walking in front of one, even if it's the pedestrian at fault it'll cause a lot of concern. Can you program a car to negotiate a narrow street with two way traffic and arsehole drivers who don't understand right of way?
  • I_R wrote:
    I can see the attraction - old people, regular commuters, efficiency obsessed delivery companies, taxi firms. It does seem like a legal nightmare though - people walking in front of one, even if it's the pedestrian at fault it'll cause a lot of concern. Can you program a car to negotiate a narrow street with two way traffic and arsehole drivers who don't understand right of way?

And cyclists. So much safer for cyclists with robot cars.

The problem people are predicting is that the cars may actually be too safe in dangerous areas. A car-jacker may just decide to step out in-front of a car knowing full well that it will 100% stop for them and just attack or steal the vehicle. This is why we need Terminators to ride shotgun.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The cars will simply stop if something steps out in front, or pulls out. They will be able to detect hazards and predict if someone is going to step out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!