Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Free tapas makes best bar.
    DSC_0224_zps7m7hbt5x.jpg
  • From the look of it, free is too much.
  • Agreed. Looks like you'd catch ebola from that shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh you of no taste at all. Stick to your kebabs. That's some of the finest fare in the country.
  • davyK wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Guinness is all down to how well the pipes are maintained and how well it's pulled. There are a lot of myths around it. It's often shit here because nobody knows how to pull it, either all head or no head at all.

I have tried directing a bar man to pour a pint of Guinness in England several times. You are supposed to pull the tap back and wait until the glass is 2/3 full and let it settle. Then top up by pushing the tap forward. It doesn't work in England - maybe it is something to so with the equipment.

You should be able to make a pattern in the head with the nozzle and it will last. My wife used to work in a bar and she would draw your initial in it. Quite often you will get people drawing a shamrock in the head but that is for tourists really.

A lot of it is to do with throughput - the more you sell, the more it is running and the better it is.

You can actually do that in England. Presumably whoever told you you can't just didn't know.

Also, the part filling thing is actually bollocks. It's marketing guff from Guinness.
  • The only food I can defnitely identify in either pic is crisps, and they're probably not even crisps are they?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sardines in lemon and garlic. I don't even like fish but they're fucking exquisite. Also artichoke hearts. YES!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Spain has a real culture of food, something I never even understood in Ireland. Food was just something to eat. Here it's something that's celebrated.
  • Kow wrote:
    My favourite bar in Madrid. DSC_0223_zpsd0zlhxyt.jpg

That ice cream looks rank.
  • Looks better than the leg on top of the microwave.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Heh. I have a good cream picture too... hmm
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Looks better than the leg on top of the microwave.

That's iberico ham!

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Guinness is all down to how well the pipes are maintained and how well it's pulled. There are a lot of myths around it. It's often shit here because nobody knows how to pull it, either all head or no head at all.
    I have tried directing a bar man to pour a pint of Guinness in England several times. You are supposed to pull the tap back and wait until the glass is 2/3 full and let it settle. Then top up by pushing the tap forward. It doesn't work in England - maybe it is something to so with the equipment. You should be able to make a pattern in the head with the nozzle and it will last. My wife used to work in a bar and she would draw your initial in it. Quite often you will get people drawing a shamrock in the head but that is for tourists really. A lot of it is to do with throughput - the more you sell, the more it is running and the better it is.
    You can actually do that in England. Presumably whoever told you you can't just didn't know. Also, the part filling thing is actually bollocks. It's marketing guff from Guinness.

I would really like to see anyone say that to the owner of the Maypole Bar I regularly go to. That's another thing about Irish pubs - a lot of them are privately owned.

I do believe the tap back/forward adjusts the pressure of the gas.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It does.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, the part filling thing is actually bollocks. It's marketing guff from Guinness.

This is trash. It may not affect the overall flavour but you will end up with a pint that is half head if you pour it all in one go. I've seen it done a dozen times by people who have no clue how to pour it.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Are you on your own Brooks?

For the most part. I'm sure it's for best.

Maybe not , son.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My favourite pub at the moment is The Gowlett in Peckham.  Dog friendly, which is close to essential for me, and the pizza is terrific.

Where in Peckham is this? It sounds worth a visit. Although The New Cross House in, erm, New Cross also does a great pizza.
  • The best pubs ignore trends, youth, food and hygiene. There's nothing worse than a trendy bar, even if the beer is better.

A good pub should reflect all corners of (alcohol likey) society, and as such any place with the broadest cross section of ages and classes is going to be the most interesting and therefore best place to drink in.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    In Spain, bar is 1970s.

A Skerret joint, and no mistake.
  • Kow wrote:

This is trash. It may not affect the overall flavour but you will end up with a pint that is half head if you pour it all in one go. I've seen it done a dozen times by people who have no clue how to pour it.

Given that I have poured Guinness in one go and ended up with a normal sized head more than a dozen times, I'm sticking with it being bollocks.
  • You can pour Guinness in one go if you slope the glass the entire time or if the pub is shit and the gas in the line is just weak. Pretty sure the main reason the pour gets stopped two thirds of the way through is to let the pint settle so that you aren't giving someone a pint of cloudy bullshit they can't drink for the next five minutes when you hand it over.

Was a barman at Uni.

Also the only way to get anything drawn in the head is to do the above and let it stand for a bit before topping it off.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Given that I have poured Guinness in one go and ended up with a normal sized head more than a dozen times, I'm sticking with it being bollocks.

Ok. You are bollocks.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm still getting over that blackcurrant thing. Doesn't matter how you pour it if that shit is being put in it.

I have in the past tried a half Guinness with Tia Maria in it. An interesting drink - tastes like chocolate. 

Of course we then had to try it with a Cointreau in it as well to make a Terry's Chocolate Orange. Then the wheels came off.

A trick we used to do was to drop a shot glass of Drambuie into a almost full pint of Guinness. You had to down the drink in one and catch the shot glass in your teeth. Wasn't one to repeat.

Youth eh?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Sardines in lemon and garlic. I don't even like fish but they're fucking exquisite. Also artichoke hearts. YES!

When can i visit?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sadly now closed, but my fave bar ever. Blue Dog Derby city centre

1234357_10151660611527005_111315208_n.jpg?oh=9701b221477eb6b9a1465b7741dae011&oe=54E58017&__gda__=1423691098_cd65c29fb87a4e1a36dd7034cea5ac3f
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lunching and drinking here tomorrow - guest of one of my oldest bestest friends.

http://www.ulsterreformclub.com/facilities/members-bar
  • My favourite local is probably closing next year, the lease is up.  Petitions at the bar etc.  Won't have any dog friendly options left within bothering distance.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!