Overwatch 2 is in Beta and apparently they’ve changed all sorts!
  • Cheat of the week?

I'll be on about 7 tonight @Nexx if you fancy some killing.
  • Loving this again (rather than just playing because it's a drug). Amazing games yesterday with a bag full of wins.

Another session like that and I'll be back to Diamond! Woop. Going back to maining Reinhardt has helped a lot. I'm just not good enough to play DPS past SR2600 or so.

p.s thnx 4 the carries Nx
  • Let's start spamming Knight messages until he buys it.
  • I haven't played this since before Xmas. Need to get back into it.
  • Randoms are so random. If anyone fancies playing this let me know.
  • Man, if the win streak stuff was still enabled I'd be well back into Diamond by now. Last 25 games I must have 18 wins or something silly.

Back up to 2916 now... May squeeze into Diamond before the season is over. And to think I was at 2350 or something earlier this season...

• So Doomfist finally got announced.

Played this for the first time in a while last night. Comp is still terrible on PS4. Leavers almost every game, nobody on mics, and no teamwork.
  • Getting back in to this and no one on mic is depressing, it's a team game ffs!
  • Stormy and lizzy not playing regularly anymore? They were always fun to hook up with. Ive not played this since before Xmas. Will try to jump back in.
  • Where are you @Stormyskiesahead make me want to play this again!
    Can-of-sprite
  • Finally got a decent comp run going. Three placement match wins in a row.
  • 6-4 in placement matches with a run of four wins to finish. All solo queued.

795 SR because I mainly played Mercy so didn't do much damage or get many eliminations, but I kept my team alive.

That doesn't matter to Blizzard though.
  • https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/a3d3zb/why-doomfist-wont-bring-me-back-to-overwatch
    Blizzard needs to give me more than a big brawly bro to bring me back to the fold.

A couple months ago I wrote a column that explained where I was with Overwatch. I had reached the limit of my natural ability, and getting better without daily training was out of the question, so I just accepted that I wasn't going to get better. Part of the reason for that (which I didn't realize at the time) is that I don't know what the reason for getting better at the game would be.

Overwatch doesn't reward you for being better. There are no extrinsic motivators for getting above Gold ranking (which is where I stalled out). Instead, there's just a slow grind upward that has to be based completely around intrinsic motivation. I just didn't have it.

Now the Overwatch team has officially announced the impending release of Doomfist, the newest character added to the roster of playable characters in the game. He's a melee-focused character who seems to be based around giving players the ability to control the position of the enemy: He can pull opposing players toward him and then uppercut them into the air. All-told, he looks neat.

That's all I feel about it, though. I think there is neat design space there, but he isn't very exciting. I don't want to reinstall the game to play with him, and there's nothing about the design of the character that demands that I jump back into the game to give it a shot. It doesn't look like Doomfist shakes the game up, and the parts that I found stale still look about as appetizing as a week-old hotdog.

Let me be clear: I want to enjoy Overwatch again. I would like to play and enjoy that game, and the recent introduction of Orisa brought me back to it for a few weeks. However, at this point, I think that the only thing that would really bring me back to the game would be a big mix up like Blizzard's recent-ish launch of Heroes of the Storm 2.0.

New characters should, I think, make lapsed players want to take another chance on a game. If character creation is just focused on pleasing people who are already invested in the game, then I don't know where a game like Overwatch can go as far as I am concerned.

Two sentences in this whole article about doom fist
    5 paragraphs about why that's not enough for the writer, who hasn't even played as the character. Who links in an article about why he stopped playing the game.
    Why not give it to someone who was actually playing Overwatch?
    Seriously waypoint, fuck off with your Clickbait.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • My personally journey with this game is very weird. 
    I bought it and loved it. Played it daily and enjoyed the knockabout fun of it a lot. 
    Then they started to update it and i thought this is fantastic, lots of dev support, free dlc, amazing. 
    Then they added the competitive/ranking mode thing and that killed it stone dead for me. 
    I played the ranking matches to qualify and absolutely hated them, the amount of matches to complete pretty much doubled in number as I tried to complete them, people left, games were abandoned, sometimes really near the end. It became a grind and a slog. 
    I played one or two ranked matches after that and put it down, thinking I'll give it a bit of a break, recharge my enthusiasm or something. 
    That break had pretty much turned into a complete boycott. It's like the competitive side of it has killed the fun side, i can just still play quickplay for some shenanigans but the mood in-game seems to have altered, quickplay seems REALLY casual now imo. With people experimenting or messing about. Ranked seems too serious, there's no happy middle ground. 
    I actually think that for me - and i think I'm in a tiny majority of probably just me - that i would stool be playing now if the ranked mode wasn't introduced... blasphemy i know. 

Anyway, not a rant, just my thoughts, i always, always trade-in when I'm done with a game but i still have this because it's so good and i still think i could get my love going again if i just tried.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • My favourite mode now is the random heroes one.
  • Competitive is life. Everything else is the worst.

Haven't played for a month or so. Far too busy recently but I'll jump back in when Doomfist is released on console. Disappointed that it looks like he's a high skill character and I'm more about strategy and nous and tactix than actual skill...
  • 6-4 in placement matches with a run of four wins to finish. All solo queued. 795 SR because I mainly played Mercy so didn't do much damage or get many eliminations, but I kept my team alive. That doesn't matter to Blizzard though.
    You can't blame Blizzard for that!
  • Come on to fuck Rev is that post clickbait, it's part of Cameron's regular column, it's not designed to be provactive or misleading, it's just his thoughts on the game.The definition of that phrase is now so elastic it seems to basically encompass "anything I don't like".

I've felt the same about every character drop they've done since Ana, none of them have given me a reason to go back. If I was doing a regular column i'd probably comment on one of the bigger events of the week to similar effect, it's essentially the job of a columnist.
  • It's a news announcement which has no mention of the character except for two lines.
    There's no other announcement on the site I can see apart from that one.
    We know he doesn't want to play it, so give the article to someone else who could actually be bothered to write something about Overwatch.
    Save his column for when he's actually played as the character. It gives nothing to the player that they don't know before apart from him reminding us he stopped playing Overwatch.
    Seems a wasted opportunity.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Stormy and lizzy not playing regularly anymore? They were always fun to hook up with. Ive not played this since before Xmas. Will try to jump back in.
    Skade wrote:
    Where are you @Stormyskiesahead make me want to play this again!

Alright dudes @Skade @Dinostar77. I've been off this for a few weeks, having some serious issues with the game, particularly Blizzards excruciatingly slow progress. Balance patches and bug fixes are taking months, despite clear and documented flaws, and 3 new heroes and maps for the main game modes in a year is abysmal. Even Battleborn has given its handful of players more than that. 

I'm not saying I want a new, and poorly implemented, hero or map every month but the main game needs more than it's getting for long term survival. Events, skins, and arcade development are fine, but not at the expense of building the core game.

Doofus looks awesome though, exactly the kind of dude I like playing in other hero orientated games. And he looks like he'll fit into the dive meta a treat, which is cool as it's my most favouritest of all the metas. He's so ability dependant I reckon Sombra will wreck him, but s'all good, that her anti-dive abilities are seeing her pick rate increase is fine by me.

Edit: Also, RIP Hog. You will be missed <3
  • And I totally get where @pantyfire is coming from. Comp is hella srs. QP is trash unless you're in a team. There's no middle ground for someone who just wants to jump on and play a few decent games without too much pressure to perform.

Think that's why I find the unranked comp mode that's available during the short off season so addictive, high quality games with no stress.
  • It's a news announcement which has no mention of the character except for two lines. There's no other announcement on the site I can see apart from that one. We know he doesn't want to play it, so give the article to someone else who could actually be bothered to write something about Overwatch. Save his column for when he's actually played as the character. It gives nothing to the player that they don't know before apart from him reminding us he stopped playing Overwatch. Seems a wasted opportunity.

You're missing the point of Waypoint's MO. There are about 1000+ sites that have done a news announcement of Doomfist's release, his abilities, all that junk. Waypoint's schtick since its rebranding has been personality led columns by individuals. People go there to read a combination of a regular team's columns, daily videos, and their thoughts on various games, and more in-depth freelance articles on other topics. There will no doubt be an better article on Doomfist later down the line. 

It's not clickbait when it's the writer fulfilling his contractual obligation to write 300-500 words a week alongside his longer "Postscript" articles. They're not just going to "give it to someone else" until they get a pitch that strikes them as an angle they'd take on it. What you want just isn't in their scope, and the idea that a weekly column on it is blocking a writer from doing the kind of stuff PCgamesN would do on Doomfist is misguided, because the people who want that writing will go to PCgamesN. I get that it isn't what you want, but it's what Cameron has been writing, it's part of the branding of the site, and it's anything but clickbait. The first line explicitly sets it up as a continuation of his personal thoughts on the game.

Heck I don't even think it's a particularly good or interesting article either, but I know why it is what it is, and expecting Waypoint to start deviating from their schtick is... well it's not going to happen. It has its community precisely because of how it is.
  • Well, I must be an old fashioned lad that likes his facts without so many feels.
    His other main article made a lot of sense but this one seemed like a rehash and a bit of a waste of time.
    I was first made aware of it by a mate who was actively seeking Overwatch information so he came away from it thinking wtf is this?
  • Direct him to any of the many other sites doing it, Waypoint has its niche. It's expecting a hammer to do a spanner's job.
  • His issue was he found it in Google and it was useless to him.
  • It'd be interesting to know what he googled precisely cos I can't get waypoint on the first page for anything to do with Doomfist or Overwatch, but it's mildly different per user so tough to replicate anyway I'd guess.
  • You can't blame Blizzard for that!

They massively favour aggressive actions over supportive ones.

Playing Mercy, who is the one straight up dedicated healer, and keeping your team alive is not rewarded anywhere near as much as doing damage or getting eliminations.

As far as I know they calculate win % chance when the teams are selected, so if your team were expected to win and you get a leaver causing a loss, the leaver is not factored in. Three of my placement losses had leavers.

That's completely outside of my control, but I'm penalised for it.

I'm not saying I should be GM ranked, but playing until the end, at a player disadvantage should be factored in.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It'd be interesting to know what he googled precisely cos I can't get waypoint on the first page for anything to do with Doomfist or Overwatch, but it's mildly different per user so tough to replicate anyway I'd guess.

Mates in the USA, so might be.

• I don't think I've unistalled since I got it, and I do keep diving in, but maybe not enough to get know enough about the meta. Its the same with destiny. Im still having fun with it, but I'd be utterly destroyed in any competition

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!