Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Woah, I'm about 25 hours and have seen a few. I find they're normally behind double bombable doors. Just had a new power I've never had, its fucking proper defensive and therefore awesome. Also, am I the only one who resets the run constantly til I get a gold room immediately? I don't on PS4 as theres no reset button :(
    indigo wrote:
    Can't get past the poo abundancy in this. Someone needs to mod it into something more pleasant (I know themes etc, but feck it) before I can stomach it enough to enjoy the actual gameplay.

I can get why some peeps struggle with the aesthetic of this, but the fact its in a cartoonish style just makes me lol at a lot of it. Its so wonderfully over the top. Also poo rarely appears after the first couple of floors.
  • So you just have to break through an initial deluge of poo? 

Imma gonna give this another try so.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This is the power up, if anyone can remember the name/description. Creates a constantly damaging whirl before unloading into fuck yeah:

QxJscKG.png

Was chatting so looked away when picked it up.
  • Hmm, looks like antigrav but mixed with Azrael's brimstone knockoff?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Hmm, looks like antigrav but mixed with Azrael's brimstone knockoff?

Just checked Youtube, aye that's exactly it. Cheers man, will keep an eye on that, its lethal. I've had it with basic tears and struggled with it.
  • Just completed it, final boss was a giant left leg... Azazel properly rocks
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Lol you've not completed it mate.
  • Such a class game but I do find myself not going back because of this.
    indigo wrote:
    Can't get past the poo abundancy in this. Someone needs to mod it into something more pleasant (I know themes etc, but feck it) before I can stomach it enough to enjoy the actual gameplay.

Work is already a world of shit, don't need coming home to one too.
  • Yeah but there aren't rainbow turds or gold turds or little smiling mobile turds in real life

It's interesting that the theme is such a turn off, it barely registers for me, it's like the first half of Johnny three Homicidal Maniac, or Squee, or Itchy & Scratchy, just deliriously OTT and faux-gross. Sure it's got some deeper more troubling stuff in there like JTHM has, but I still find it largely innocuous as the gameplay around it robs it of any consequence - it's all thematic abstraction.

I can't be grossed out by my character crying blood because you've picked up a coat hanger symbolic of attempted abortion because it's my 50th run of the week and I'm far more concerned with the stat boost than the what each item connotes.

To me it's like Dark Souls, beyond the unavoidable subconscious transmission of ideas by the apparatus, I have to actively be involved in decoding the scenery, themes and implications otherwise it's just another serving of mechanical challenges.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    As above, really. But then I'm not one to shy away or be put off entertainment due to themes and such. Its a delightfully OTT effort which makes me lol more than puke.
  • I'm a slovenly man child with no desire for children though do I guess it doesn't really register with me. I find games about wars more troubling, which is to say I think they represent something worse by existing than Isaac does.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    One thing about this, its a fucking buzzing game when you've got hype music in the background. Some deep, nasty 95 jungle sits so well.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yeah but there aren't rainbow turds or gold turds or little smiling mobile turds in real life It's interesting that the theme is such a turn off, it barely registers for me, it's like the first half of Johnny three Homicidal Maniac, or Squee, or Itchy & Scratchy, just deliriously OTT and faux-gross. Sure it's got some deeper more troubling stuff in there like JTHM has, but I still find it largely innocuous as the gameplay around it robs it of any consequence - it's all thematic abstraction. I can't be grossed out by my character crying blood because you've picked up a coat hanger symbolic of attempted abortion because it's my 50th run of the week and I'm far more concerned with the stat boost than the what each item connotes. To me it's like Dark Souls, beyond the unavoidable subconscious transmission of ideas by the apparatus, I have to actively be involved in decoding the scenery, themes and implications otherwise it's just another serving of mechanical challenges.

If you did have a trigger of some kind (like how I have to look away when someone throws up in a movie), I think you'd find it harder to enjoy the game. Also sorry but this is hard for me to process: " unavoidable subconscious transmission of ideas by the apparatus" I dunnae get it like.
  • Yeah I went a bit balls there, loopy due to essay writing. Basically even if you're not looking for stuff, you're gonna pick up on it because we take visual stuff in really easily on a subconscious level. So although I'm not actively searching for meaning in anything in Isaac, if you asked me I'd probably be able to make a decent hash at it all.

And you're right, I don't have any kind of trigger, I'm writing this all from a position of privilege as my 70 odd hours on it will attest to, it just doesn't bother me at all. But, as I say, I find it interesting that the theme is such a turn off, and not just to you. Plenty of people can't see past it, many of them are people happy to play CoD campaigns and the like. To me, the latter is worst. It's much less abstract.
  • Ah, ok.

Well I've clocked a lot of hours in the game so I don't fall in to the category of "this visually looks obnoxious, not playing" , I struggled past the theme to get to the sweet turtle meat in the shell.  The whole presentation just makes me feel a bit gross and holds me back from diving in deeper, which is a real shame because how mechanically satisfying the game is is a rare, rare beast.

'Realistic' military shooters are the fucking opposite of what I'm in to so I can't comment there, the themes bother me plenty in all those games, except Spec Ops, but personally that's not relevant to what I don't like about Isaac.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Good seed (PS4, dunno if they're cross-platform): RRVN 0838

Technology 2 right near the start, plus Bible to buy in't shop and Brimstone in a Devil Deal, along with Cube of Meat, Ball Bandages and Dark Bum (I love that lil fucker) and a few other neatos.

I'm steamrolling every single room.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And now anti-grav <3
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Okay I hate anti-grav, can't get used to it at all.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And I'm on a 4 win streak, all with different characters. That'll do for today!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Was OP with every build. Mega Tears plus Krampus Head plus a shit ton of blue flies plus Mega Bombs in my final run. Mom's Heart was dead before it fired a shot.

I've not been this addicted to a game since Trials. Want to fully master the fucker.
  • Those runs where you have crap drops, are clinging on to the game by the time you reach Mom's level, but then find a dice room with number 1 in it and transform into pure ultra beast mode and go on to smash the fuck out of everything else are the best.

I just went from some a medium power monstro's lung and a few passive buffs to some kind of orbital homing laser anti gravity ipecac, scythe, tooth shot, proptosis monster. The carnage was unrill. Easily the stupidest build I've ever had, the ipecac shot alone one shotted mom as soon as the fight started.

Went on steam to check how long I've played and have 130 hours logged on this, I also had it to start on PSN as well and probably have another 40-60 hours on there. I'm with DS, I can't stop playing this, luckily for me I mainly just play it on my tablet in bed, it is fucking ideal for this, just relax, go fully zen and unleash hell.

Outside of maybe SF4 this is probably my most played game in the last 5 years. Crazy.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's Mom's Heart beaten with every character (that I have so far anyway). Got to Cathedral but died at the boss thrice.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    11 I think. I've done it with 10.
  • The unlock for The Lost is shit balls tho'
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've just looked it up. I'll do that on a dull day.
  • Wow, I hadn't looked at the requirements to unlock the lost until now. 

Seems marginally more doable than the missing posters secret ending I guess. Oh and the fucking super meat boy achievement! I got the meat girl one ages ago, grrrrr!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Goal for today is clear Cathedral.
  • You need someone who hits hard, but infrequently, as the boss counters bullet impacts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!