Christmas Cake/Pudding/Ham bake/steam/roast-a-long 2023 edition
  • I don't do dessert wine often but I'll make an exception for Tokaji.
  • davyK wrote:
    Apologies - I might look a bit smug having a bottle of Moet sitting in the picture. Wifey was in a panic trying to find a present for someone and was going through what fizz we have. (Answer : not a lot).

Will check Lidl out for that dessert wine.

Aye right. How much did you pay for the professional set dresser Davy? How much eh? HOW MUCH.

Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

Wouldn't want to be accused of humblebragging......
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You buy that dessert wine? I hope you did because it's awfully good
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Couldn't find it. Today was a bit of a screw up anyhow so drink was off the menu (see Merry christmas thread).

Pudding was superb even if I say so myself.

Cake was....OK-to-good. Not dry but just a mite more moisture would have been better. Good for a first try though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Opinion of cake has changed. It's actually rather good. That first slice was for some reason a bit drier than the rest of it. A few others have tried and liked it - I don't think they are just being polite. Definitely better than any bought one I've tried.

Wifey's a good judge and is pro-actively munching her way through it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well peeps. November again which means prep for Christmas baking.  Some hardcore folk may have already started.

I made a rather good cake last year but this year I'm going to give it a miss. I'm trying to lose weight and after looking at just how much damage a rich cake can do, and realising Wifey and I would be eating a 2KG cake ourselves, I have postponed it to next year.  However would love to hear about/see cakes this year from other badgers.

For Christmas pudding, stir-up Sunday is the 24th. Given you may need to soak fruit in sherry/brandy for a week means you have just over a fortnight to pick your recipe and get your ingredients in.

I've used Nigella's recipe these last 3 years but this year I'm going to try a different one.

Here's Nigella's. I can heartily recommend this:
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/ultimate-christmas-pudding

Here's a good site with 11 recipes including one with an orange in the middle of it. I'm opting for the Crowned Pecan Pudding recipe.
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/christmas/christmas-recipes/gh-christmas-pudding-recipes
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's stir-up Sunday one week from now. So best get your ingredients together this week.

If you are following Nigella's pudding recipe today is the day you start soaking your dried fruit in sherry.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks like I'm the only one this year??? It's stir up Sunday - traditional day to make the Christmas pudding so it can mature for a month.

Anyhow - have my pudding on the boil now. As I'm making a smaller one 3hrs will do today and another hour or so on Christmas day.

Used good old Ximenez sherry again and as this recipe has a pecan, cherry and syrup topping which is mixed separately, I used Hennessey brandy with that mixture. Should be good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Chrustmas pudding and Christmas cake are the two worst things about Christmas.

Rapidly followed by mince pies. And then shopping.

This thread is madness.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not listening.

Most bought Christmas Fayre - particularly cake isn't great I'm afraid. I baked one last year after getting fed up with dry bought cake. I'm not doing a cake this year only because I'm trying to lose some weight and Christmas cake is suicidal.

Bought puddings are stodgy - made from scratch they are light and super tasty (at least the Nigella recipe is at any rate).
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No Muzzy, pudding, cake, and mince are great

Well actually cake isn't fantastic, nothing very Christmassy about it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I always enjoy this thread. Bit of festive cheer innit.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    My Dad makes an amazing Christmas cake. Well, about 6 actually. I will be receiving one as usual. We I mean. We will be. Ahem.
  • Mince pies, Xmas pud and cake are all great. Would make some but it's an expense getting all the ingredients, especially all the dried fruits here. Maybe I can at least find a jar of mincemeat somewhere an put some pies together, even if they won't be as good as making it from scratch.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Mince pies, Xmas pud and cake are all great. Would make some but it's an expense getting all the ingredients, especially all the dried fruits here. Maybe I can at least find a jar of mincemeat somewhere an put some pies together, even if they won't be as good as making it from scratch.

I do believe bought mincemeat is considered a pretty good alternative. The pastry is the skill - but I hear lots of TV chefs saying decent bought pastry is no crime either.

I'll be posting pics of mine once it comes out of the bowl - as there is a pecan and cherry topping I obviously have to put that into the pudding bowl first with a circle of baking parchment to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the bowl - so pics will only makes sense once I do the big reveal on the day. Pics will be forthcoming then.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I was going to post how much I hate Christmas cakes, puddings and mince pies but I checked and I already said it at the beginning of the thread so there you go. But I saw some posts from Outlaw - where did she go anyway?
  • Got a new job. Moved on.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Doesn't she have the internet at her new job? Ah well.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I do believe bought mincemeat is considered a pretty good alternative

Growing up we always had a big old tub of Robertsons Mincemeat in the cupboard, the stuff is wonderful
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Outlaw was one of the few others who took part in this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Meant to post here with an update.

The pudding this year was a triumph. The cherry and pecan topping with syrup & brandy was joyus. The main body of the pudding with Pedro Ximenez sherry equally so. Recommend the recipe (link in an earlier post to the Good Houskeeping website) . Wifey thoroughly approved of it.

Will probably repeat it next year.

If I lose plenty of weight this year then a cake will be on the agenda too.
  • That does sound pretty awesome. Any pics?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sadly no - was eaten before I even thought of it.....:(
  • :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Missed out on a Christmas cake this year - only did a pudding. Weight loss efforts continue so no chocolate at Easter - but I'm going to do a cake.

Going to try a Simnel cake - traditional fayre for Easter apparently. Some English outlaws appearing this year so they can help to eat it.

Will be trying this recipe out....seems you need to like marzipan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easter_simnel_cake_82449

Such a cake features 11 marzipan balls atop; representing the 11 apostles it seems.

There will be pictures.
  • Awesome :D
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ingredients assembled.

Will probably do this on Saturday so it's nice and fresh for Sunday consumption.
  • Don't forget to take pics!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My dad is doing an Easter egg hunt. Fuck cooking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!