God
  • God put all that science stuff here to test us. EDIT: Wait are you calling science a religion?

Yes. It has many people that believe in it. It is strong and has more facets that most organised religion. 
    It doesn't follow the practice of having an overall 'supreme being'. It relies on faith as much as any religion. Its as fully as an many theories and stories as any text from a religious book. 

People need to believe. Whether there is proof there doesn't matter.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Every 'religion' is based on trying to prove the previous one was a load of nonsense.  Science is the most interesting one so far, as its getting us back to being very interactive with what we believe in.

huh? Science as a "religion" is a lazy trope and if your only reason for calling it a "religion" is that you think lots of people have too much "faith" in it then try harder.
    (forgive bold, editing is giving me some grief here)
    The most passionate religious people I've ever spoken to are the atheists. If religion is based around belief then their God is a powerful one.

Again, you're being lazy with the words there. Is atheism now a religion? Are we seriously going to have this discussion? If their "religion" is based around well justified belief then yeah, I reckon reason is pretty powerful.

(Awesome, I can mix up words and make slightly ambiguous points too.)
    (1)Religion was formed to bring people together. In essence it was way to bring about simple laws in society.

Its about a sense of community. But as I say, I do believe.  (2)Once you understand who the first people were to write down the bible story, the rest of it becomes very simple to explain.

1. By violently segregating believers from non believers?

2. I suspect we're reading that sentence in very different lights.
    it was never meant to be a set text, it was meant to be a spoken message that evolved as its people did.

Says who?
    Forgive formatting of this post. multi quoting learner on this forum.

Anyhoo, that may read quite harshly, sorry. But, as nice as it all sounds - and I have no doubt you're a sound chap, revel, and of a religious slant that's pretty darn tolerant and lets people get on with their lives and all - the constant mention of religion being about god/bringing people together/love and the pseudo history where it was all nice and pure and then got corrupted doesn't actually make sense in light of the facts, and seems, from where I'm sitting, to be just a post hoc rationalisation because it makes you feel better. And that "you" can be a general one, because I don't want to pick on you here, and I don't think you're the first to have made some of the above points.

Must sleep.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Science is not a religion. It does not rely on faith. It doesn't have 'stories'. Proof matters.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It relies on faith as much as any religion.

No it doesn't.

That's precisely what it DOESN'T do.

ffs.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Every 'religion' is based on trying to prove the previous one was a load of nonsense.  Science is the most interesting one so far, as its getting us back to being very interactive with what we believe in.  
    huh? Science as a "religion" is a lazy trope and if your only reason for calling it a "religion" is that you think lots of people have too much "faith" in it then try harder. (forgive bold, editing is giving me some grief here)
    The most passionate religious people I've ever spoken to are the atheists. If religion is based around belief then their God is a powerful one.
    Again, you're being lazy with the words there. Is atheism now a religion? Are we seriously going to have this discussion? If their "religion" is based around well justified belief then yeah, I reckon reason is pretty powerful. (Awesome, I can mix up words and make slightly ambiguous points too.)
    (1)Religion was formed to bring people together. In essence it was way to bring about simple laws in society. Its about a sense of community. But as I say, I do believe.  (2)Once you understand who the first people were to write down the bible story, the rest of it becomes very simple to explain.
    1. By violently segregating believers from non believers? 2. I suspect we're reading that sentence in very different lights.
    it was never meant to be a set text, it was meant to be a spoken message that evolved as its people did.
    Says who? Forgive formatting of this post. multi quoting learner on this forum. Anyhoo, that may read quite harshly, sorry. But, as nice as it all sounds - and I have no doubt you're a sound chap, revel, and of a religious slant that's pretty darn tolerant and lets people get on with their lives and all - the constant mention of religion being about god/bringing people together/love and the pseudo history where it was all nice and pure and then got corrupted doesn't actually make sense in light of the facts, and seems, from where I'm sitting, to be just a post hoc rationalisation because it makes you feel better. And that "you" can be a general one, because I don't want to pick on you here, and I don't think you're the first to have made some of the above points. Must sleep.

Goodnight.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Facewon wrote:
    It relies on faith as much as any religion.
    No it doesn't. That's precisely what it DOESN'T do. ffs.

It does. It relies on theories.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Face, get Some_Guy on the TruthPhone.  Nananananananana SomeGuy!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I saw something in New Scientist a while ago that was on about the God-shaped hole in most people. Iirc, a basic need for a set of core values that most a lot of people fill with religion. Devout atheists do the same stuff and fill the hole with scientific dogma. Like religion, science is a human construct reflecting / explaining what are supposed to be universal, transhuman phenomena. 

Although there's really two elements to science there. The continually refined intellectual endeavour to understand the universe which is separate from the point I'm making. Then its implications for what this process means for humans and their historic view of their place in the universe which is what gets poured into the hole. They're not really related. If I was stuck on a desert island, Lost-style, I'd rather have an engineer there than a priest. But a theoretical physicist and an archbishop are likely to be just as useless at building a hut as each other. 

It's all part of the same desperate fumbling for meaning and purpose as we slip towards the grave.  

I've mixed the article up there with my own editorialising. I haven't been able to find a link.

edit: Just to clarify, the above waffle can be pruned down into: -
    "The continually refined intellectual endeavour to understand the universe is separate from its implications for what this process means for humans and their historic view of their place in the universe. When comparing science and religion there's only any point of comparison between the latter aspect. Religion has NOTHING to say on the subject matter of science proper."
  • I duno, photosynthesis is a pretty good story.
  • Facewon wrote:
    You need to invest in a dictionary, so you can learn the meanings of the words you are (ab)using.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Where's that Michael Jackson in the cinema gif...
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Facewon wrote:

I think you may be confusing 'theory' with 'scientific theory', as opposed to hypothesis
  • @facewon. You aren't really reading what I have written. 

I haven't said anything against Science. I didn't say people had too much faith in it. I'm saying people have a lot of belief in it.

I'm just saying that you put a Religious Guy and an Atheist in a room together you wouldn't be able to tell them apart because they believe very strongly in their belief.  

1. Yup - those that did tow the line were got rid off because the powers that be didn't want dissension in the ranks.  I never said I agreed with Religion. I said  I believed in God. Some people used it as a system to control the masses.  

2. Ill get back to that. 
     the constant mention of religion being about god/bringing people together/love and the pseudo history where it was all nice and pure and then got corrupted doesn't actually make sense in light of the facts, and seems, from where I'm sitting, to be just a post hoc rationalisation because it makes you feel better. 

I didn't say that either.  I'm not a big church fan. Depending on the church.  I'm a scientist as well. So I look at things from other points of view as well..
  • Hulka T wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    I think you may be confusing 'theory' with 'scientific theory', as opposed to hypothesis
    Yeah, that's fair enough.  I hope that Face isn't annoyed that he doesn't sleep properly.
  • djchump wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    You need to invest in a dictionary, so you can learn the meanings of the words you are (ab)using.

Really. And what's your take on the situation please. 
    Scientific Theories is better I guess, like Hulka suggested.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Did you ever see the old god thread?  He'll sleep like a baby.
  • Skerret wrote:

He really gets a bit - passionate about these things.  
    Though I am entitled to my own thoughts and opinions. Doesn't make either of us wrong or right.
  • Skerret wrote:
    He really gets a bit - passionate about these things.   Though I am entitled to my own thoughts and opinions. Doesn't make either of us wrong or right.
    Well no, if you use words incorrectly, that makes you wrong. There's no perspectivism there.
  • djchump wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    He really gets a bit - passionate about these things.   Though I am entitled to my own thoughts and opinions. Doesn't make either of us wrong or right.
    Well no, if you use words incorrectly, that makes you wrong. There's no perspectivism there.

like what?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    like what?

You've used the common or garden definition of theory when the scientific one is quite different. Don't feel bad, most people confuse them (that's not meant to be patronising)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't understand this thread.
  • djchump wrote:
    Skerret wrote:

If you are here to give an opinion then please step up. Its quite clear to see what I was meaning.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    like what?
    You've used the common or garden definition of theory when the scientific one is quite different. Don't feel bad, most people confuse them (that's not meant to be patronising)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory Okay. thank you. I'm not taking it as patronising.  

I guess then that I mean hypothesis.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I believe in Gonzo.

There, have that in your twatty face you all powerful God thing I think.
  • I don't understand this thread.

I don't understand either. I'm trying to make sense of it though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Also, science relies just as much on faith in hypotheses that haven't yet been proved just as much as any religion does.

The difference being scientists are usually (but not always) willing to accept a new evidence if it's proved (though often go back and try to prove the original hypotheses all over again and spend their time arguing just as much as zealots do.)

God doesn't exist because I can't prove he does? Neither does the Higgs Boson then, stop wasting your time looking for it. Believing in something someone imagined was there but can't prove? Sheesh. What is the world coming to.
  • I think it's not tricky for a lot of laypeople to take a given bunch of simplifications re: scientific knowledge and discovery on faith.

I do it all the fucking time, I'm sure.
  • In other news I'd really like some cool graphene products right now please.
  • Yar I mean it's hard to consider rationality much beyond an ideal at this point. People are demonstrably fucking nuts.
  • Where that gets scary is in its centrality to crucial bodies of research and policy determination e.g. economics.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!