God
  • cockbeard wrote:
    ... whether that's a faith in a presence or absence of a higher power, it's an equally irrational point of view. ...
    Not really - it's more rational to believe in an absence of a thing if there's absolutely no empirical evidence for it than it is to believe in the existence of a thing that has no empirical evidence.
    But like you say, it's *most* rational to remain agnostic when faced with lack of evidence.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I can't help but feel that agnosticism is for the weak minded, but I don't want to offend any of you.
    Get schwifty.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I think agnosticism is for people who have more important things to worry about.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    ... whether that's a faith in a presence or absence of a higher power, it's an equally irrational point of view. ...
    Not really - it's more rational to believe in an absence of a thing if there's absolutely no empirical evidence for it than it is to believe in the existence of a thing that has no empirical evidence. But like you say, it's *most* rational to remain agnostic when faced with lack of evidence.

What do you mean by "thing"?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry dj, maybe I should've been clearer, and though it's a tiny point of contention, the pedantry shown by people of faith is immense, so I'd rather clear it now. In my comment above I was using the word faith, not inclination or supposition, it was meant as an absolute, unshakable, unprovable belief in something. Ration is equally an absolute, hence you having to use the word more instead of rationaler (like better). So I'd have to say that by virtue of their immovable and opposing positions they are equally irrational
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Russell's Teapot for instance.

Or String theory, M-theory, Loop quantum gravity and Causal dynamical triangulation?
  • @cocko: I disagree that rationality is a binary absolute (like Faith) - it isn't. Some decisions can be more rational than others.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ok, that's fine. Personally from the previous thread and the way logic and ration was used, I thought it sensible to treat it as an absolute. I think that some decisions can seem more rational than others, but that whether something is rational or not is binary. Maybe only down to a very specific facet but binary within that. We can agree to disagree on that, but I would like to draw that line between agnostic and atheist
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Or String theory, M-theory, Loop quantum gravity and Causal dynamical triangulation?
    Yes, Dark Energy etc. But those theories aren't considered absolute truth. They're just the current most popular working models that fit the evidence.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Ok, that's fine. Personally from the previous thread and the way logic and ration was used, I thought it sensible to treat it as an absolute. I think that some decisions can seem more rational than others, but that whether something is rational or not is binary. Maybe only down to a very specific facet but binary within that. We can agree to disagree on that, but I would like to draw that line between agnostic and atheist
    For sure - I totally agree that it makes sense to distinguish between atheist and agnostic (and FWIW always considered myself agnostic). IMHO it does get rather confusing when the religious discussion ends up with the "strong" atheists lumped into the same category as the fence-sitting agnostics.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yes, Dark Energy etc. But those theories aren't considered absolute truth. They're just the current most popular working models that fit the evidence.

I don't think "faith" is considered an absolute truth by a lot of the people that "have" it either. More a set of guiding principles/examples and possible answers.

People pick and choose the bits that make most sense to them at any given time. They might reject some aspects only to accept them later. Or vice versa.

I see a lot more similarities between science and religion than the former would admit to. Remember the furore when some neutrinos suggested one of it's founding leaders rules wasn't true?
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    No not really, was there a furore? Did the Italian scientists get death threats?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Faith needn't be in a specific dogma. People will choose pieces of dogma that appeal. However that doesn't impact on whether they have faith or not, it just means it's not the same faith as the next man
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    He's watching you, Ozno.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I guess it comes down to trust, whether you trust the people who wrote the Bible or ones who wrote a scientific textbook for instance, either way you're just having faith they know what they're talking about.

But it would seem more reasonable to trust communities of people who spend all their time trying to discover/prove/disprove their truths, than some people centuries ago who's writings seem filled with folklore, cultural biases and contradictions.
  • How do you imagine a natural God would work?

Probably some kind of energy. Or as abstract mathematics. But even a beardy man in the sky, so long as it obeyed natural laws (not sure how that would work, though).

With regards to religion in videogames, I can't comment on western games but Buddhism and Shinto often find there way into Japanese games. Final Fantasy VII is a bit of a mishmash of Eastern philosophy, there's a little bit where the old guy with no legs explains how when somebody dies their life energy is reborn as someone else. I thought the life stream was kind of like the Tao as in Taoism.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • If you believe in something which is clearly bollocks, you are a little bit stupid. 

Bye bye thread, I shall not miss you.
  • :facepalm:
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Gonzo wrote:
    ... Yet I don't think it does as much harm as the antis say it does.
    Try being gay in Middle America.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Why, how do they treat gays in China?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Space wrote:
    If you believe in something which is clearly bollocks, you are a little bit stupid.  Bye bye thread, I shall not miss you.
    Pot of some colour.  You realize what this thread is about yus?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Gonzo wrote:
    We're back to the "cause v tool" dichotomy. Try being gay in China. Think you'd fare better?
    Because science?
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    Why, how do they treat gays in China?
    I'm guessing: same or worse than middle america. Almost certainly the latter. If you pursue your enquiry, I'll back that up. But I imagine if you think about it a teen, you won't.
    I expect homophobia is pretty universal, but I don't think it would be as strong without some doctrine backing it up. But China probably has some quite old fashion cultural outlooks, so I can believe it would be worse, I just don't think I've ever seen any evidence for it.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    ... The point is, repressive, homophobic culture is just that. Whether it is expressed through religion or some other form of social organisation doesn't affect that. To blame only religion is to miss the point.
    "Expressed"? 
    Caused and propagated by, more like.

"Does no harm"? ... pfft.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Caused and propagated, come on you can't have it both ways. You can't have homophobia caused by religion then call the agents of that religion transvestite choirboy fuckers
  • @cocko: You telling me those Catholic kid-bummers ain't homophobic hypocrites now?
  • Gonzo wrote:
    i only backed up drivelthegod to provoke face and he didn't bite :(
    drivelthegod? Really? Nice

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Gonzo wrote:
    ... social conservatism is the cause of homophobia.
    And what causes and propagates this "social conservatism"?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!