God
  • pc71 wrote:
    On all matters refererring to God or lack thereof I always go the complete series of father Ted. Should be shown from infants to university....

that would be an ecumenical matter
    SFV - reddave360
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    Good to see hair knows what the texts intended. Centuries of religious doctrine, debates and interpretation, if only they had asked a dumb fuck from Surrey, he'd have saved everyone the time and trouble.
    I'm guessing they were only joking in the various texts when slavery, spoils of war and comfort women, genocide, infanticide and human sacrifice were all celebrated and demanded by petty a vengeful deities, right?  Fuck apologising for stone age dogma that has gone through the ringer of various translations including a number of hardline interpretations in the intervening millennia.  I'd trust a schmuck from Surrey all day every day before any goat herder from two millennia back.
    That post positively oozes rationality. No sirree, not emotional at all.

So? 

A dude from Surrey has the collective wisdom of human civilisation at his fingertips if he chooses to value facts and evidence. A person who defers solely to texts written in a different context anywhere between 1500 and 5000 years ago has less credibility.

I don't doubt that older knowledge has its value. The entire tradition of indigenous Australians relies on oral tradition, song lines and geographic reference points which are absolutely essential to survival and that worked for tens of thousands of years. 

If you're looking for truth or reality though, we have better understanding of our place in the universe and how it works, and that leads us to more informed decisions. 

I don't know why I typed even this much though. It's probably only going to get snark in return.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's the thing though isn't it, not everyone is looking for truth or reality, just look at the viewing figures for Game Of Thrones

That said there's no reason to believe that the church hasn't changed or adapted it's processes and dogma based on the expectations of it's populace, in much the same way as the scientific method eventually rejected first the geocentric and later the heliocentric view of the world, not sure we should be asking Aristotle, Ptolemy and co for an apology for being wrong though nb. I notice as well that the Church also rejected geocentricity after a while, I guess bigger movements take longer to change
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I don't begrduge them for being wrong. I will happily concede a lot of older religions and beliefs were a 'best guess' to explain the natural world where they had no tools for the kind of investigation we do. 

In 1000 years time if we haven't nuked ourselves I'm equally certain the explanations for QM and gravitation will make our explanations look primitive too. But they will still be a step in the right direction rather than a simplistic first guess.

Those religious rules made sense back then and a number of customs within them still do, but those that persist are also rules that predate them like giving and sharing and not killing (despite the same books advocating for killing in certain circumstances).  

But yeah, fuck Surrey amirite?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    Good to see hair knows what the texts intended. Centuries of religious doctrine, debates and interpretation, if only they had asked a dumb fuck from Surrey, he'd have saved everyone the time and trouble.
    I'm guessing they were only joking in the various texts when slavery, spoils of war and comfort women, genocide, infanticide and human sacrifice were all celebrated and demanded by petty a vengeful deities, right?  Fuck apologising for stone age dogma that has gone through the ringer of various translations including a number of hardline interpretations in the intervening millennia.  I'd trust a schmuck from Surrey all day every day before any goat herder from two millennia back.
    That post positively oozes rationality. No sirree, not emotional at all.

So? 

A dude from Surrey has the collective wisdom of human civilisation at his fingertips if he chooses to value facts and evidence. A person who defers solely to texts written in a different context anywhere between 1500 and 5000 years ago has less credibility.

I don't doubt that older knowledge has its value. The entire tradition of indigenous Australians relies on oral tradition, song lines and geographic reference points which are absolutely essential to survival and that worked for tens of thousands of years. 

If you're looking for truth or reality though, we have better understanding of our place in the universe and how it works, and that leads us to more informed decisions. 

I don't know why I typed even this much though. It's probably only going to get snark in return.

Listen, you mentalist, bhd wasn't looking for "truth and reality". He used that famed Surrey penchant for "facts and evidence" to deduce that "extremists are adhering to scriptures as intended" so you can indeed define the religion, or scripture, by the actions of extremists.

Before you flew off on a frenzied folly of your own making, you might have been careful to actually read that post which I mocked. It is obvious why it should be mocked. It is complete nonsense. What you are banging on is the merit (or otherwise) of religion. Perhaps you think the dumbass from Surrey's argument was "any religious text risks wilful misinterpretation by extremists; as such, irrespective of who is right about matters of textual interpretation, religion is better avoided". But I'm afraid the dumbass from Surrey did not make that argument at all.

Good to see this thread still adheres to the very highest standards of intellectual scrutiny.
  • Depends on what you consider an extremist now, doesn't it? 

It's not the gun wielders or suicide bombers only. It's the faith healers, legislative "good men" (doing harm as per Bertrand Russell), and evangelist types who fleece honest believers out of their life savings. 

When bad hair day referenced this: "extremists twisting the words to suit their agenda' the fact is they are adhering to the scriptures as they were intended. Non believers are off to hell, hurry up Armageddon, I want to see heavenly paradise."  I see the following (colour coded for your convenience):

Morning TV televangelists ak Jerry Fawell and Ted Haggard
    Westbro Baptist Church
    Zionist Republicans
    *Not* Jehova's Witnesses

I've not even attempted to define religion by the actions of extremists. I've made arguments about how little was known when they were formulated and said nothing specifically on the misappropriation of religion until you went off on an entirely predictable word rampage.

You narrowed BHD's post into a specific, singular context and that is coloured by your own bias. Hopefully the colour coding might become a regular feature to save you the effort.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    boom
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:

Would that not be the "lens of modernity" hair mentions then?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yup.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • legaldinho wrote:

Would that not be the "lens of modernity" hair mentions then?

Not really, not if the debate goes backwards..eg salafist/Wahhabi islam definitely took Islam back. Point is interpretation varies over time and is coloured by social, economic and political factors. Not that we are interested in any of that itt, I can see that well enough.

PS- in case you missed it, the lens of modernity thing is part of the problem. Could talk about a lens of extremism or fundamentalism... But we choose not to.
  • Vela wrote:
    Depends on what you consider an extremist now, doesn't it? 

It's not the gun wielders or suicide bombers only. It's the faith healers, legislative "good men" (doing harm as per Bertrand Russell), and evangelist types who fleece honest believers out of their life savings. 

When bad hair day referenced this: "extremists twisting the words to suit their agenda' the fact is they are adhering to the scriptures as they were intended. Non believers are off to hell, hurry up Armageddon, I want to see heavenly paradise."  I see the following (colour coded for your convenience):

Morning TV televangelists ak Jerry Fawell and Ted Haggard
    Westbro Baptist Church
    Zionist Republicans
    *Not* Jehova's Witnesses

I've not even attempted to define religion by the actions of extremists. I've made arguments about how little was known when they were formulated and said nothing specifically on the misappropriation of religion until you went off on an entirely predictable word rampage.

You narrowed BHD's post into a specific, singular context and that is coloured by your own bias. Hopefully the colour coding might become a regular feature to save you the effort.

I gave the post a broad, natural meaning. I interpreted as:
    Regarding 'extremists twisting the words to suit their agenda' the fact is they are adhering to the scriptures as they were intended. Non believers are off to hell, hurry up Armageddon, I want to see heavenly paradise.

Luckily for us, now most read the texts through the lens of modernity.

You are the one using colours, examples, and some kind of magic whereby my post was somehow about you and your beliefs (ER, what?), And then asserted that I narrowed the post into a singular context.

So:

1) what narrow context did I restrict the post to?
    2) do you agree that one gauges textual intention by looking at the most extreme possible interpretation, anytime anywhere? If not, kindly fuck off and go argue with someone who cares what you have to say. I merely pointed out the logical insanity in what bhd posted, and has historically continually posted: he doesn't care that there are moderates and extremist Xs, he will define X by the extremist. Logically X is the most extreme possible example conception of X.

There is no point arguing with people who think like that, you can only mock them.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't think hair's post did that though. The fact he said most read the text through the lens of modernity suggests that he thinks extremists are the minority. Saying they are adhering to the scriptures as initially intended is provocative, but then I presume that that is what extremists believe they are doing.
  • I don't think hair's post did that though. The fact he said most read the text through the lens of modernity suggests that he thinks extremists are the minority. Saying they are adhering to the scriptures as initially intended is provocative, but then I presume that that is what extremists believe they are doing.

He doesn't say anything about numbers, nor are they relevant. His post is regarding the (argument/objection/defence that extremists are) twisting the words to suit their own agenda. Answer: they are not. It is a fact that they are adhering to the text as it was intended, not twisting its words.

If you can't see the post and what it means, I can't help you.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    OK, I think I see where your coming from. A literal, dogmatic reading of the texts (as extermists do) is not how they were originally intended to be read. Correct?
  • Literal is a difficult concept. Which text, which part? If, literally interpreted, a text means we should hurry to our death and the after world, that is interpreting many other parts of the same text teleologically: eg proscribing suicide, praising a life well led, no murder, do not harm, etc etc. Ultimately interpretation is coloured by external factors and agendas. The less cohesive a text as a whole the less helpful a literal interpretation is.

Long and short of it is that It's not for me to say, I can't tell you what the intention is, my best guess is: these texts were written by lots of people at different times who had different and differing priorities and agendas, but what cuts through them is an idea of unifying societies behind certain approaches to tackling coordination problems eg justice, family, inheritance, property, inequality, etc. We have invented better tools than those antiquated solutions imo. But even ours are only as good as those wielding them.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Don't really know why you're getting in such a tizz about it Gonz, most are moderate and as I don't have the actual percentages - it's a best guess.

Extremists/fundamentalists are characterized by a strict belief in the literal interpretation of unambiguous religious texts such as stoning someone to death for the crimes of working on the sabbath/blasphemy/adultery/being gay etc.  Now we can all go trawling through the Quran and the Bible to find some nuggets of morality and sense but it's rather like digging through shit for sweetcorn.  There's a little there but is it really worth it?  Nope.
  • Don't really know why you're getting in such a tizz about it Gonz, most are moderate and as I don't have the actual percentages - it's a best guess.

Extremists/fundamentalists are characterized by a strict belief in the literal interpretation of unambiguous religious texts such as stoning someone to death for the crimes of working on the sabbath/blasphemy/adultery/being gay etc.  Now we can all go trawling through the Quran and the Bible to find some nuggets of morality and sense but it's rather like digging through shit for sweetcorn.  There's a little there but is it really worth it?  Nope.

Wow been a long time since I read the Koran, I totes forgot is mostly about murdering folks and stuff and barely owt about morality or godliness.

(Clue: it's overwhelmingly about those things, and stories and stuff. Other clue: nowhere in the Koran is stoning a prescribed punishment for any act, let alone stoning to death)

• He clearly mentions the Bible and sabbath and whatnot, Gonz, not just the muzzers.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You're correct Gonz, most of scripture is dull and irrelevant, it's only when Mo got to power god prescribed that stoning malarky. 

I wasn't singling out rad Islam, just as concerned that the incoming U.S. administration is brimming with extremist suits intent on fucking up children's ed with creationism, retracting abortion and gay rights and generally helping to bring on the rapture.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Muzzers are ace
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Erics are ace, Muzzers come tenth  ;)
  • Worth remembering that Live was discussing buddism. Did get general about extremists a little, but hair did rather go straight to a rote commentary about the abrahamic faiths....

Literal is a difficult concept. Which text, which part? If, literally interpreted, a text means we should hurry to our death and the after world, that is interpreting many other parts of the same text teleologically: eg proscribing suicide, praising a life well led, no murder, do not harm, etc etc. Ultimately interpretation is coloured by external factors and agendas. The less cohesive a text as a whole the less helpful a literal interpretation is.
    Long and short of it is that It's not for me to say, I can't tell you what the intention is, my best guess is: these texts were written by lots of people at different times who had different and differing priorities and agendas, but what cuts through them is an idea of unifying societies behind certain approaches to tackling coordination problems eg justice, family, inheritance, property, inequality, etc. We have invented better tools than those antiquated solutions imo. But even ours are only as good as those wielding them.
    +1.
    Not really, not if the debate goes backwards..eg salafist/Wahhabi islam definitely took Islam back. 
    https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2016/june/1464703200/robert-manne/mind-islamic-state

Been a while since I've read that, but I recall it does an awesome job of the history of extremism.

Defaulting to the extremists are interpreting it as intended/correctly might be convenient, but it's lazy. 

The game isn't about arguing which interpretation is correct, it's arguing that theology is really bad at sorting the wheat from the chaff from the get go. 

Anyhoo.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Thanks for the responses gonzo.

And that article is pocketed face. Cheers.
  • Re: lens of modernity. Fundamentalisms are reactions to the conditions of modernity and as such could not have existed in the form they exist today at any previous time. Fundamentalism in this form is modern, not a revival of the past.

It's a mistake to think of it otherwise, like as some leftover from unenlightened times that just needs to catch up. It's not a leftover, it's new (relatively) and emerges from rejection of rationalised western capitalism for various reasons.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    A 15th century apologetic might have said something similar? There's been capitalism for centuries, just smaller scale.

US senators or college educated suicide bombers are looking through the same 21st century lens as Stephen Hawking and Maajid Nawaz.

Fundies believing it's an infallible instruction book from god and think everyone else is delusional is the problem.

I'm up for taking a scalpel and removing all the references to creation and harming others on a live feed to Al Jazeera & Fox News. Shouldn't be a problem, as these religions are intrinsically peaceful and the violent texts are never acted upon literally.
  • A 15th century apologetic might have said something similar? There's been capitalism for centuries, just smaller scale.
    I can only assume you missed the point I was making.

Why apologetic? Apologist, perhaps? Is there any defence of particular fundamentalisms in trying to understand their origins?

Capitalism has been around for a few hundred years, yes. And? What's that got to do with current fundamentalism being a reaction to its current form?

Fundamentalism isn't the same throughout history. It takes a different form today to that which it did 5 hundred years ago, because it's a response to the conditions of the present. It thinks it's recreating some lost past but can only fail to do so. Its interpretation is necessarily a modern one, in a modern context.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I get extremists don't operate in a vacuum, and agree they never have.

You mentioned fundamentalism's rejection of western capitalism.
  • Yes, they're bound to be rejections of (various aspects of) western capitalism today as it's the globally dominant force. I'm not sure what the lifespan of capitalism has to do with that.

The not operating in a vacuum thing is precisely the point though. It means the interpretations of texts by fundamentalists today are not the same as the interpretations of the past, because they inevitably interpret these texts in a different context (i.e through the lens of modernity).
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Three reasons why he probably doesn't.
    This is too ridiculous not to share.

Pastor eaten by crocodile trying to walk on water
    Deacon Nkosi, a member of the church, told the newspaper, “The pastor taught us about faith on Sunday last week.

“He promised he would demonstrate his faith to us today, but he unfortunately ended up drowning and getting eaten by 3 large crocodiles in front of us.

“We still don’t understand how this happened because he fasted and prayed the whole week.”

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!