Street Fighter V
  • Older than my 39.3 years?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Smang wrote:
    Dubs wrote:
    30.  Not sure if I qualify just yet but I feel SFV, possibly by accident, caters to the old man demographic quite well.
    i'm older than all you mans and i feel sfv caters to the lazy demographic. the old mans remember better games. more than happy to pass on some potemkin tips!
  • Here is my potemkin tip:

1. Backdash into pot buster.

2. Repeat.

3. Become fully gassed.

I think there is an element of matchup knowledge to some games in regards to the specific "How to get out of X, or stop Y" from happening when playing against characters who have a lot of setups or looping combos. But the same applies to SF it's just that people have played it so long that they're used to the characters and broad systems already, the stuff like invincibility on dps, that only certain moves will otg, etc.

But I would say that for any game, in my experience just knowing the systems the game uses gives you a good base. Case in point Soul Cal 6 if you pop your characters V Trigger, the timer stops until the trigger wears off, so you can fully reverse timer scam someone at the end if a round if they're trying to run away from you if you are aware of the tools at your disposal. GG has a TON of defensive tools, just defend, faultless defence, burst, blitz shield and raw Roman cancel to interrupt the opponents inputs, learning them can seem daunting at first but in my experience they just drop into place over time and then one day you're playing a match and you suddenly realise how much freedom you've been given to work around your opponents bs. That's what I like most, any fg that gives is players a set of tools that leaves them free to conduct matches as they like without it feeling like you're being constrained to play a certain way.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Older than my 39.3 years?
    ah you got a couple on me ;)
    Roujin wrote:
    Here is my potemkin tip: 1. Backdash

qft. once you learn a few fundamentals the rest falls in line.
  • So SFV.
    Got to silver league with Ryu and that's where the glaring flaws of the game stare you right in the face.

Wake up game feels like pingpong tennis. Block, get thrown or if you guess wrong get kicked/punched in the teeth. Defensive specials on wake up are useless as the invincibility startup frames are practically  gone, except for ex or if you have a full meter a super. The hitboxes are.... precise, but it also dramatically alters how the game plays compared with previous iterations.

Game of Pokes
    Poking with normals is where it is at with this game and....it feels inconsistent. Hokey pokey even. The person who's mastered the poking/throwing meta game followed with the occasional combo is usually the one who wins the match. Now don't get me wrong, poking and whiffing have always been important in hi level sf play but the way they've nerfed special moves in sf5  somehow annoys the fuck out of me. In earlier street fighters, if your timing was right you could always counter an opening in your opponents string with a well timed special (dragon punch/flash kick etc.). In sf5 you're stuck forever in block stun and have to wait for your opponent to finish his combo/string before you're even allowed a counter move. There's an alpha counter if you have meter but other than that you're stuck with blocking. Which is stupid as nerfing special moves takes away a defensive option and a considerable layer of depth in hi level play.

Of course, the characters with the best pokes/agility/throws/stunblocks/multihit combos are the characters occupying the highest tiers. Ryu is a good character but he's totally nerfed compared to Ken who is faster, has an op v-trigger super and ridiculous offense which keeps the opponent constantly guessing. Ryu has good combo's but he's mostly a defensive character even with his parry. And if you're playing sf5 from defense you're playing it wrong. It's only a matter of time before a more aggressive opponent overwhelms you with combo offense.

Needs more balancing.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • If only there were games out there that didn't have those problems...
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I realise that is an entirely flippant response, but the problems SFV has have been present for years at this point. If you're dead set on playing SF over a different game, I can only recommend going back to 4 or 3rd Strike.

V is lucky Fallout 76 came along to finally eclipse the absolute fuckery that was SFV's launch period.
  • True, I guess.
    I'm new at sf5 and just a bit dissapointed is all.
  • Everyone's disappointed. SF was the marquee game for the genre, Capcom have utterly fucked it now after stumbling along with the end of 4 and SFxTK and yet are somehow hanging on (completely undeservedly at this point imo) and people are coming to this game to get a taste of fighting games and coming away with negative opinions that are turning them off trying other titles. It sucks.

Namco and Arcsys both need to sort out their world tours and up the prize pool, but I have no idea how much of SFVs prize pool every year is a result of the money Sony are putting in.

DBFZ may be the more popular title at the minute but it's not clear what long term support it will get as it seems to just occupy a slot in the never-ending stream of xenoverse and other games. I think a second game was already confirmed as being in development.

Tl;dr play Tekken or Guilty Gear ;)
  • they just did another season for DBZF so it's good for another 6-12 months lol.
  • I get that, but beyond that? What I mean is I'm not sure how much long term support there is going to be for the game. Character DLC is one thing, but ongoing balance patches, "pro tour" carrying on long term outside of majors, etc.

Feels like DBFZ 2 might be coming at some point but as a standalone sequel, as opposed to the GG and SF style title updates.

Or something, is what I'm trying really badly to explain haha! Anyway wake me up when we get future Gohan, Roshi or Mr. Popo for season 2. I watched some Hit gameplay the other day. Damn, I really fucked up not putting him on my team at the time.
  • thing i love about dbzf is that it's really easy to pick up and play and start exploding things. just have go innit
  • LETZ SET A DAET AND TOME FOR IT!!!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Which format? PS?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yeps
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Enjoyed watching Jyobin playing this weekend, such raggo.  I still watch his SFIV footage from time to time for inspiration.  Along with Snake Eyez at SCR2014 and of course Gandhi vs FSP.  Not that I play much anymore.  Had a few games over the weekend and got myself a ragequit so that'll sustain me for a few months.

edit: and very fair points up there Rouj, I was ignoring SF's less intuitive aspects and I am very much relaxing in my comfort zone.  

You guys need to get together and stream GG for my entertainment!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I should have decent broadband for the first time ever by the end of this month.
    I might finally allow all 80GB of upgrades.

If you want some, I'll give t'ya...

• if Rouj does anything with GG i'll be there. 

might even play V, kinda miss waiting for people to jump as Zeku.
  • I will return but not right now, trying to buy somewhere to live is doing my fucking head in and I basically just go home and want to zone out and just let someone else autopilot my body until it's all over. I occasionally have T7 games with Escape and just spend the time somewhere else in my mind just pressing whatever buttons. I think he's on about a hundred game win streak at this point.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I think he's on about a hundred game win streak at this point.

Don't let that get into your head...
  • It's not, don't worry, I mained OG hakan from the day in SSF4. I've been finding it impossible to concentrate on things cos of the mortgage application hanging over me, but after today the hardest part is over now so with that weight off my mind I can start getting back to wrecking bare men who don't know about no tentacle ninjas from space.
  • Good luck with the house. Wife and I would love to buy this year and move. My bad spending habits and credit card debts don’t help. Been beating myself up about it last couple of days.

Need to sell all my remaining shit, that might help.
  • Dream cast* for an actually good SF6 go

*not in fact on Dreamcast
  • Roujin wrote:
    It's not, don't worry, I mained OG hakan from the day in SSF4. I've been finding it impossible to concentrate on things cos of the mortgage application hanging over me, but after today the hardest part is over now so with that weight off my mind I can start getting back to wrecking bare men who don't know about no tentacle ninjas from space.

i can't play fgs when life is on my case. i get wound up about things that i wasn't even concentrating on in the first place.
  • I booted this up for the first time in a while and after a lot of SF2/SFAlpha/SF3 play on the anniversary collection.

I still really enjoy it. There is a real nice solid heft to the hits and the more generous input times definitely benefits a more casual player like myself. I feel I am in a lot more control of my fighter in this than many (not all) of the other games. 

At least on offence.

The game is still glaring bad with defensive options. Its very much of case that nearly every fight will feature a portion of the fight where you get stuck in the corner with next to no viable option to get out except by guess, which seems a shame. No other version feels this bad in this regard. I also feel that it often means regardless of fighters nearly every match features samey tactics from both sides. It doesnt help that so many of the characters start their decent combos with a crouching medium punch.

Still enjoy it, but it could have been better. Not sure where they go with a 6th game. Without drastic changes to how a game plays, the SF series like many others is simply about the latest version having the best graphics (maybe not art design, thats another issue) but best gameplay will belong to which ever version floats your particular boat. 

On a lighter note, this match / showcase is a great show of timing.

https://kotaku.com/choreographed-street-fighter-v-match-is-very-entertaini-1833411589
    SFV - reddave360
  • OMG that NCR grand final, proper tense at the end. Some awesome play from both fighters, but that raging demon from Tokido on one of the last rounds was just beautiful. Greatly calculated.
  • Aye, sf5 is a decent game if you accept the new ruleset on its own merits.
    The core game mechanic is still way too offensive, it doesn't pay to play defense. A case of the best defense is offense?

On the plus side, the skill-based bar has been lowered so every noob can jump in.
    Tactical play feels more like a viable strategy available to anyone regardless of skill level..
  • hunk wrote:
    Aye, sf5 is a decent game if you accept the new new rulesset.
    The game is still way to offensive, it doesn't pay to play defense. A case of the best defense is offense?

On the plus side, the skill-based bar has been lowered so every noob can jump in.
    Tactical play feels more like a viable strategy available to anyone.

Pretty much. although I've encountered some amazing defensive players it's way easier to attack than be defensive. It's just too easy to get blown up if you make one defensive mistake and being offensive brings much more reward for less skill.

A great example is necalli v agibal. If you are very patient you can keep the big guy at bay and slowly whittle him down but if he gets in once he is likely to do heavy damage and push you close into the corner which means you are really against it to restore the distance.
    SFV - reddave360
  • every discussion around this game is either people slagging it or trying to justify why they play it...

try something else and see the light.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!