Street Fighter V
  • After playing this game intensively for a while I've changed my mind.
    SFV is a better game than SF4. The mechanics are a bit more accessible, I like the idea of v-skills and v-triggers as it gives each character individuality. More importantly, the eb and flow of offense and defense in general feels more natural and fluid. Yes, the gameplay is still skewed towards offense but if you have a good read on your opponent punishing on whiff is still possible and often necessarry in deciding a match.

There are still criticisms to the game. While every character is viable as a main the strongest characters are usually the ones with the best pokes and the best/most offensive options. All characters have a walk in or jump in attack. It's characters who have additional ways of 'getting in' offensively who often feel overpowered. Characters like Karen, Gouki, Cammy, Dhalsim and G as they don't tend to depend on the standard walk up/ jump in strategies for attack. Theoretically, their mix-ups are far more deadly than say Ryu who only has access to the standard walk up/jump in strategy for his vortex. On the other hand, Ryu does have a defensive parry which is much more of a gamble to pull off. The big catch is it's only effective if you know all the characters in the game and their offensive rhythm. That's a steep learning curve to overcome if you want to main Ryu on a competitive level.

Other criticisms involve the netcode and online play. To play the game online with minimal lag you need a decent isp with perfect network conditions. My isp delivers decent speeds but more often than not network conditions are suboptimal resulting in lag and skipping frames. Half of the times I log in the game's a lag infested slideshow where I fight network conditions as much as I'm fighting my opponent. At other times the game plays fine without dropping a frame. The gameplay experience usually depends on what network conditions downdetector reports for my isp.

The final criticism revolves around cheating. I've noticed that the higher one rises in the ranks the more often people tend to 'cheat' using turbo autofire. Online, it's possible to break blocked strings in the game with a turbo autofire low attack when normally it should register as a blocked combo. The higher the latency in game the higher the probability it will register as a counter. It can be very annoying to see a normally unblockable link combo consistently being countered by 'turbo autofire'.

But other than the above, it's a decent game and a decent streetfighter. It's come a long way from initial release and the fundamental gameplay blocks are sound. If only the online code was free from latency and lag.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Interesting review... Not sure if I entirely agree, but I think it's fair to re-evaluate the game in respect of all the changes of version one.

The original build really fucked up the simple QoL feature that casual players needed.

There was never really much of an argument against the game itself once you actually got to it, but what Capcom attempted to do with the original release was borderline criminal...

But to take your qualitative argument pitting SF4 against SF5?

I think you're right in saying that SF5 is a more welcoming game than SF4... I personally don't feel I came anywhere close to mastering the focus attack system in SF4. Or any of the 1 frame link combos.

But I still think SF4 was/(is?) a better game in every respect. As an enthusiast (but not an expert at any stretch), the journey to attain any form of competence was much more fun in SF4... Now that could have been due to a range of things... 

Netcode that worked, how the community embraced the reboot... perhaps the fact that the game overlapped with the launch of Justin / Twitch TV had a hand in things too.

In hindsight though, I'm starting to think SF4 was just straight up more fun.
    Better characters, better moves / systems, more depth.

Going back to infrastructural woes, I'd actually be somewhat interested in loading up the game, and joining you online to explore your opinion...

But it would require a 15GB+ download, you see...

It's those kind of issues, arguably borne of the concerns of a rampant marketing team, that have kept me away from the damn game.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Watching Capcom Cup, despite me not feeling SFV much this has been tremendous so far.
  • Xian Sako was a good match.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • I think Luffy v Fudo was probably my fave.
  • Has anyone here picked up champ edition? Really great value if you want to have all the characters. Some great costumes and, well, mediocre backgrounds in there as well.

If the new characters Honda is still fun to play but Lucia is excellent. A quality addition to the roster for me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You know with a few nerfs to Karin, Rashid and Ibuki they might actually have a well balanced game on there hands here.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Dogfingers wrote:
    Watching Capcom Cup, despite me not feeling SFV much this has been tremendous so far.

Missed a bit. Shocked by the last 8.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Not by the character choices though, dammit.

• Semi finals now.
    Punk is dishing out a beating to Fuudo. Ouch.
  • Who are the commentators? One of them sounds a bit like Eazy-E!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not a clue, just watching the fights.
  • Fucking hell. I’m off to bed after that nail-biter.
  • Anyone see Tokido/Phenom.....fuck me!!
  • Yes. I’m too tired otherwise I’d carry on.
  • Why is it the yun/yang/karin characters are always so overpowered in sf?
    Everyone is maining Karin!
  • The poison was good to watch
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • There were 4 Karin's in top 32, 3 made it to top 4. Saying that there were 6 Rashid's. All gone thankfully.
  • Rashid is terrible to watch
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Why does SFV look like it's being played online with a little rollback even when it's off line.

It's got this annoying little judder.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Punk vs Idom it is.
  • Idom all the way, didn't like Punk tea-bagging Fudo, grow up mate.
  • Shame Phenom lost, fight was good.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Idom all the way, didn't like Punk tea-bagging Fudo, grow up mate.
    He did? Fucking Americans eh.
  • Punk is the spit of Don King
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Punk is so dominant in SFV because he understands the balance between rushdowns and throws in the game. His judo grappling is impeccable.
  • I'm so curious about that monitor. It looks so Orange.

Is the colour balance fucked or is it just the angle.

The first wouldn't surprise me
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Omg Idom.
  • Couldn't happen to a nicer character.
    Wind Waker is a bad game

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!