Street Fighter V
  • JRPC wrote:
    Now sensibly I should set up the 360, attach the £180 tournament stick I never used and play it on that. In reality, I'm going to buy Ultra on PS4 with a new stick. There's no going back-gen.
    Ahhh I see, you're forcing my hand to buy that PS4 stick, I like your style. shit..except I just realised Ultra aint on PS4. Would you consider last genning it in this case? I'm a good teacher!

Yeah, totally up for that.

Having said that, Ultra's is headed our way also, so if you're buying a stick for 5 anyway....?

Oh shit good news. I could probably clean house of my Xbox and game collection to pay for it then. The only games I'd worry about selling are Dark Souls 1 and 2 but I have 1 on PS3 and 2's getting a paint job for PS4.

Short answer PS4 it is.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    But he does tell me that all juggles can be flipped out of and is the choice of when to do so that matters

It's been a long time since my brief exposure to T'Strike, but I can tell you that Akuma was able to end his combos with a mix-up flip. It's unsafe on paper, but his various follow-ups require good guesses to parry, and if he kicks near the end of his flip, a parry leaves him in throwing range with a negligible frame disadvantage.

(You end Akuma's juggles early with a linked HP, which resets your opponent in the air, and then, as they somersault back to their feet, you start a flip.)

My tactic was to leave it as late as possible to use the overhead punch or regular kick (it's hard to react to them when they appear in their last few available frames), and then, just occasionally, I'd attack near the top of his flip to discourage punishment, or use empty flips into a UOH or cr.LK.

So yeah - people can escape from juggles at given points, but certain characters can potentially maintain pressure thereafter. Akuma's particularly dangerous, because he can vary his juggles (somewhat Tekkenlike).
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    My position is really that aerial juggleness is the direct cause of massive combowang, in an era when hitstun has been significantly tamed since SFII. And I fucking hate combowang - for the receiver, it means waiting for it to finish, for the performer it means an obscure kind of bemani rote learning is mandatory. Bollocks to that.

I don't know about the modern Tekkens, but Lei's juggles were highly situational in Dark Res. Juggling's a system like any other; it can be complex and engaging, or perfunctory and shite. Latter Tekkens have the most advanced wake-up system in FGs, and this marries to juggling (and walls), whether you care for it or not.

I'd argue that advanced systems are largely responsible for elevating predictive demands. I'll use another example that I'm familiar with...

In this first combo, the other player had 2-3 frames to escape my pick-ups (you only have to mash buttons for a tech), but because I assumed his inexperience, I just ploughed on for a show combo. Had he teched away with a sideroll, he'd have been able to punish me.

Alternatively, had I been able to condition him with d+2 pick-ups and then just dropped him, I'd have been able to catch his tech if he was pressing buttons. That's a pure high-risk, high-reward 50:50, and it means ending Lee's juggle well before its maximum available damage. Lili? Sure, she's as rote as they come. Lee, Lei, Nina... No.

That's not to say that I approve of juggles, because I'd also like to see them capped. DR's juggles were a bit too long, but that's still the closest game to my idea of an interesting system. That's a faster game, so the juggles end sooner, and, with its heavy focus on wide sidesteps (nerfed hence) and KBD punishment, they mostly represent damage conversions from good play.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Everyone buy GGXrd.
  • Used to fuck me off when I was at Trocedero playing whateverhisnamewas when he was playing yun and would corner trap me and juggle. Just needed to catch me twice and he'd juggle me 4-5 times. I'd take my hands off the stick, dry my hands and wait for me to land. 

I don't see juggles as being any different from overly long combos other than they typically are about rinsing the same move over and over again. I don't mind them so much in MvC, they seem to work.

Juggles remind me of playing killerinstinct on the n64. I understand that the properties are different but they should just make it that you can't reset.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Curtis wrote:
    Everyone buy GGXrd.

Done!

"In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Cherry_Pez wrote:

It's out the week before The Last Guardian and the week after Drive Club works properly.
  • lol
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • this thread will be the longest bump ever
  • That post is over a year old, I'd heard 2018 before too but surely it'll be sooner considering a first playable is due at CC.
  • Thank goodness, CC bouts should be good. That this weekend?
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Thank goodness, CC bouts should be good. That this weekend?
    Yep... If I was a betting man, I'd put some cheese on Snake Eyez. He's been going off whole year.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Is Pepeday in Capcom Cup?

He handily beat Snake Eyez last time they played.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Is Pepeday in Capcom Cup? He handily beat Snake Eyez last time they played.

Beat him three times recently, actually. Last weekend, twice, and not too long ago in a first of 10... All close sets.
    Pepeday isn't at the Capcom Cup, but yeah... A good Fuerte could possibly brush him...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • where can i watch it and when? Is there a schedule? Is it on twitch?
  • Curtis wrote:
    Everyone buy GGXrd.

Jap PSN 5000Yen was sold out when I was gonna buy, then when they came in stock, not immediate codes. I'll check again tonight.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Try: offgamers.com, gamepointsnow.com or maximuscards.com
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    what is the point of losing your corner pressure for more stage?

This is something I hadn't considered at all. Personally, and this is just my opinion, the mechanics of IV are the pinnacle of the genre and I don't fancy the direction it might be going in with juggles 'n wall bouncing ect. Street Fighter's always been about real estate control. Still, early days 'n all that. Hopefully something more substantial will come along soon.
  • Is Pepeday in Capcom Cup?

He handily beat Snake Eyez last time they played.

Nope, and neither is Smug. Gutted.

Curtis also made a good point, everyone buy GG Xrd. Best.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It comes out in the US on the 16th, does it even have an EU release yet?
  • Don't think so Nick. Just get it on HK PSN Store

Apparently a patch is coming out on US launch day with English menu support for all versions.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    The Japanese version is already full English voices, menus, text, everything. ^_^

Slayer's dubbed voice is the spitting image of Bond era Connery. It's uncanny!
  • Cush Shlayer ish besht.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    It's out the week before The Last Guardian and the week after Drive Club works properly.

Its out next week then! Aaww yeah!
  • What's Drive Club?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Driving Range simulator for Golf enthusiasts.
  • http://youtu.be/B_X2d7sSFiY

Parries you say?

• I like the look of this footage. It is very SF4.5 hd remaster special ultra, but thats fine by me.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Bringing back parries without some kind of resource cost would be a bit dumb.

Either a tinkered version of focus-parrying or actually having a parry whiff anim would probably do.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!