The General "E-Sports" Thread, or 'making a living from being dead good at games'.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    1,000,000+ watching a CS:GO tournament. Unbelievable. 1.3 mill to be precise.

Holy moly. According to Wikipedia that's the equivalent of the entire population of Estonia. More than Luxembourg and Montenegro combined.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Stage 1 of the Overwatch League wrapped up last night/this morning with London Spitfire vs New York Excelsior in an epic playoff final.
    Spoiler:

The whole thing has been pretty damn great, with no one team dominating (pre-League favourites, Seoul, didn't even make the playoffs) and any of the top 6 teams capable of winning the whole thing. It's kinda felt like the best of the western tournaments mixed with Korea's APEX, super slick production, great games, and a couple of minor player controversies thrown in for lolz. Looking forward to Stage 2.
  • Here's the game for anyone who wants to watch it. It'll probably be removed pretty quickly but should be on Blizzard's official OWL site soon enough. Some spectacular solo and team plays here, Pine getting a flanking Widowmaker 4 kill on Junkerton, Saebyeolbe's Tracer in the 99/99 melee on Oasis City Centre, London's stalls and holds in the latter games, and Birdring on all of Dorado.

Edit: Yup, gone.
  • I stayed up until 7am to watch it.

Also @stormy, the match and all other full matches, are available on the Overwatch League twitch channel past broadcasts.

http://twitch.tv/overwatchleague
  • Ah, nice. Caught up on YouTube but good to know they're there.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ubisoft has plans for Rainbow Six Siege for the next ten years.

Linky link.

It's impressive to see player numbers going up like that for such a relatively old game. The ten year plan is definitely a good thing, too, for eSports - I reckon it's the fleeting nature of each title that (partially) stops it gaining mainstream recognition. You only have to look at StarCraft and South Korea to see how crazy things can get if a game is around for a while.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's a fucking great game too
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It's been a while since I played it, but it's definitely addictive. Nice high skill ceiling, but newbs can play without feeling overwhelmed. I just wish it was easier to earn operators with the in game cash, but if I think of them as DLC they're not too badly priced. (And I've not spent any Actual Money on cosmetic items, which I'm prouder of than I should be.)

The pro leagues are surprisingly watchable, too, as Ubisoft have added various camera modes for the commentators, and the fights aren't blink-and-you'll-miss-it like recent CoD titles.

I may get into it again if the new PvE mode turns out to be a real thing: operators vs aliens. (Because I guess they kinda gave up on the 'realism' thing when they added a man who throws invisible poison mines.)
  • Overwatch League has been pretty epic in Stage 2. Seoul, who were dominant in the early games, finally coming up against the other top teams and taking losses. London losing against teams they really shouldn't lose to then beating the best. NY just awesome throughout. 

Last night had some really interesting games. The Seoul vs London match-up didn't disappoint, but San Francisco and Philly delivered some big surprises. SF's Danteh is showing himself to be one of the best Tracer's around right now, and Philly, holy shit! Their roster came under scrutiny pre-season as being a bit light, but two young DPS they'd been holding back finally turned 18 and got to play. Snillo and EQO dismantled Dallas. Snillo's hitscan was phenomenal and EQO, I don't know where to start. World class Genji, maybe even better on Widow. I've never seen anyone play Widow like that, close quarters, scared of nothing. 

This is the EQO Widow map, he switches to her a couple of mins in. And yeah, spawn camping is rare at this level.
  • Also been watching some of the Rainbow Six Pro League after Swirl's posts. Brilliant stuff. Bought the game.
  • Also been watching some of the Rainbow Six Pro League after Swirl's posts. Brilliant stuff. Bought the game.

Oooh, nice! PS4?

If so, I’d be happy to team up when we get the chance.
  • Yeah! Still playing through the Situations atm, getting used to the way the game works. Would love to grab some games though!
  • The latest update really fucked it for the group I play with. Why they gave dedicated servers to For Honor and not Siege is utterly baffling
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    R6 pro stuff makes strangely compelling viewing.

Calling it now, though, Lion will get nerfed to shit next patch.
  • Lion is the drone guy? From what I've played I think he's pretty tame tbh. Finka is far more powerful - Lion gives you a huge warning so unless the user times it with a reinforcement breaker or a Fuze, the defenders just turtle up.

Finka gives the defenders no warning and turns a straight 1v1 into something far more risky for the defender, I've lost count of the times I've been sure a player should be dead, only to watch the kill cam to see they're out of the exchange with 10-30hp at the end - don't even talk about using it with people like Blitz. I've had some succes with Lion on my team but mainly I feel he's just too easy to counter play. As someone who plays a lot of Kapkan, I have found that I can use Lion's drone as bait on defence too, luring people into my traps by purposefully running when the sweep pops.

At my level at least. Dunno about ranked or professionals. I assume they'll nerf both somehow, but Finka to me appears like the better of the two by some margin.
  • Blitz is my bae. Flash, flash mother fucker. Love clutching with that dude.
  • Finka and Blitz is a disgusting combo
  • Not really up with the new operators, tbh - gotta rectify that before jumping back in.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Lion is the drone guy?

I don't think so - he reveals everyone on the opposing team as red outlines. I.e., he's temporary wall hacks with a cool down. Quite a few matches I've watched have boiled down to 'Lion activates his ability, attackers win'. It seems at the moment the pro attack line up is "Lion plus four other people". My gut feeling is when a character is a guaranteed pick something about them needs tweaking.

EDIT: A quick Google suggests that yes, he's the drone guy - a drone is the fluff for his ability.
  • I'm surprised it's so effective on higher players - though I imagine it's down to what the other four players are. Like I say he's good with people like Fuze, Thermite and Hibana because they force people to move, but other than that he seems the weaker of the two in pubs at least. They're both going to get nerfs because that's how Ubi does balance patches for Siege - make them OP, everyone buys them, nerf them down at some point because it's easier to nerf drown than buff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Not really up with the new operators, tbh - gotta rectify that before jumping back in.

Blue Swirl's Totally Accurate Operator Guide (from most recent to least)

Operation Chimera
    Finka (attack, cough) - adrenaline boost (+20 health with a countdown timer, usable on self and others - also boosts things like movement rate through barb wire, recoil, etc.)

Lion (attack) - temporary wall hacks.

Operation White Noise
    Vigil (defence) - can render himself invisible to cameras (including those on drones). This ability is susceptible to operators with anti-electronics gubbins. E.g., IQ can track him, Thatcher's grenades disable it.

Dokkaebi (attack) - can make defenders' phones vibrate, revealing their location. If she finds a dead defender's phone, she can access the CCTV network - including Valkyrie's.

Zofia (attack) - concussion grenades.

Operation Blood Orchid
    Lesion (defence) - invisible poison mines (no, srsly).

Ying (attack) - flash grenades. She's immune to them, but her team mates aren't.

Ela (defence) - concussion mines.

Operation Velvet Shell
    Jackal (attack) - can track opponent's footprints.

Mira (defence) - can put two-way mirrors onto reinforced walls.

Operation Red Crow
    Hibana (attack) - think Ash 2.0. Has a gun that can blow up walls.

Echo (defence) - has a flying drone that can disorientate enemies.

Operation Skull Rain
    Capitao (attack) - has a crossbow that fires a variety of bolts with special effects.

Caveira (defence) - can move silently. If she downs an attacker, she can interrogate them and temporarily reveal the opposition's position.

Operation Dust Line
    Blackbeard (attack) - has a ballistic shield on his rifle that (until broken) renders him immune to head shots.

Valkyrie (defence) - can place extra CCTV cameras around the map. (A darling of the pro scene, where the "information game" is king.)

Operation Black Ice
    Buck (attack) - has a shotgun that can blow holes in non-reinforced walls.

Frost (defence) - basically has bear traps.

Vanilla R6S (we probably all know this, but hey, I'm on a roll)
    Thatcher (attack) - EMP grenades.
    Smoke (defence) - poison grenades.
    Mute (defence) - disrupts electronic devices with what looks like pimped out wifi routers.
    Sledge (attack) - has a sledge hammer.

Ash (attack) - wall-demolshing grenade launcher.
    Thermite (attack) - has super-duper demolition charges.
    Castle (defence) - has super-duper wall reinforcements.
    Pulse (defence) - can track heart beats.

Doc (defence) - has a 'health gun'. Can also self-revive if downed.
    Montagne (attack) - has a massive fuck-off shield.
    Twitch (attack) - has a drone that is unable to jump, but does have a taser strapped to it.
    Rook (defence) - brings a bag full of armour.

Tachanka (defence) - brings a turret.
    Fuze (attack) - has a grenade launcher that is mounted to a wall and fires into the room on the other side.
    Kapkan (defence) - laser-tripwire activated mines.
    Glaz (attack) - has a scope that can see through smoke/high lights enemies.

Jager (defence) - deploys an anti-grenade gizmo. (Though it's not a hard-counter for Fuze.)
    IQ (attack) - can track electronic signals.
    Bandit (defence) - can electrify reinforced walls.
    Blitz (attack) - has a shield with a built-in flash bang.

Just for the purposes of conversation, I tend to favour Kapkan, Doc, Thatcher, Twitch, Mute, Ying, and Lesion.

It also strikes me the way the operators have developed - you go from "has a sledge hammer" to "has nanomachines that make her do things better". Now we've got a DLC called "Chimera", it can't be long until we have an operator that can fly or some shit, and the fluff behind it is "because aliens".
  • Finka is attack bud
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I'm surprised it's so effective on higher players - though I imagine it's down to what the other four players are.

I guess it helps that they're communicating all the time and are activating his ability at the key moment. But I've seen a fair few matches end within seconds of him using his radar. And he does seem to be a guaranteed pick for teams on the attack, and that screams "nerf bat incoming". Then again, it might just be a question of learning to counter him. Everyone though Lesion was going to be super broken, but he's about to get a buff, iirc.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with two Lions - one for the PvE stuff, and one for the PvP stuff, each with slightly different ranges/durations on their ability. Though, having said that, the PvE mode is only running for March, so...
    Tempy wrote:
    They're both going to get nerfs because that's how Ubi does balance patches for Siege - make them OP, everyone buys them, nerf them down at some point because it's easier to nerf drown than buff.

Sounds about right to me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Finka is attack bud
    -

Woops. I assumed she was defence because I knew Lion was attack.
  • The final week of Overwatch League's Stage 2 is starting on Twitch.  

LA Gladiators and Philadelphia Fusion are up first and both are playing so well right now. Gladiators are trying to secure a place in Sunday's playoffs and a chance at a chunk of that $125,000 prize pool, whilst EQO for Fusion had the best Widow plays I've ever seen last week. This is gonna be a good 'un.

Edit: Hmm, two maps in and this is a really weird game. Such odd plays from both teams. Almost looks like a QP game.
  • Overwatch League Stage 2 Playoffs happening right now. 2nd/3rd place match on atm, 2 maps a piece to London and Philly. 1 map to go. The winner takes on New York for the Stage 2 Title. 

Seoul didn't make the playoffs again. Lol.

Edit: Wow. London threw that series. An amazing start then so many bad plays and poor calls. Well done Philly though, played their hearts out. Philly vs NY final.

Edit 2: Worthy winners crowned. Really wish London had actually shown up though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Somewhat relevant... A new venue for playing gams' really well:

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/red-bull-gaming-sphere-london-announcement
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • If I didn't live half the country away I'd definitely check that place out.
  • @stormy

There was only one winner when it went to 2-2, Philly looked broken. For as well as they’ve played recently, Carpe and EQO were dominated by Libero in the Widow battle. SBB zoned the opposing Tracer and Jjonak started getting some ridiculous picks too.

If Philly wanted to use Widow/Tracer then I’d have liked to have seen Snillo come in for more maps but then they have so much less versatility so it’s a tough one.
  • Aye, it's a shame but Philly looked like they ran outta steam and NY just kept getting stronger. Agreed that at 2 - 2 it was only ever gonna go one way, 'twas all a bit of an anti-climax really. 

Not to take anything away from either team though. NY's entire squad is ridiculously good, Saeb and Libero are a DPS dreamteam (I do miss Pine though, hope the break does him good and he get's over his homesickness), and Jjonak is my favourite support player out there. 

Philly have gone from mid table to showing that when they're on form they can give the best a run for their money, and Carpe has grown into maybe the equal best all-round DPS in the League alongside Libero and above Fleta. They're still a bit rough around the edges and could do with more guidance, but those kids have got some serious talent.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!