Album of the Year 2014
  • Sorry, that does nothing for me either Bob.
    The Damien Rice album is great, but I don't think it's really album of the year material.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Maybe your just not listening to enough stuff ..

I don't think it was a vintage year by any stretch but it wasn't a disaster either.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff if you go and seek it out and listen to 6 music. I haven't bothered with that for years but still find some good stuff filters through to me through the miasma of mainstream media consumption. Not this year though.
  • I'm probably not listening to much new stuff this year because I can't find anything new that piques my interest (and that's not without reasonable effort on my part).
    This thread is usually a great way to catch up on things you may have overlooked during the year, but for my ears it's just a wasteland of mediocrity.
    Obviously this is subjective. If people like this stuff then fair enough, but it's not doing anything for me.
    Quite bizarre that an entire year has passed without one single album being released that I could heartily recommend as being brilliant.
    I'd like to think I've just overlooked something obvious, but I'm struggling to think.
  • Brooks wrote:
    It's just so easy to give no shits about music now. It's not like it's culturally vital at all.

Poor out a little liquor. This is probably sadly insightful, hey.

Still have a lot of time for my list, TBF.

And while I can also see where g is coming from, there's still worthwhile stuff out there. IMO etc
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah, it's obviously horses for courses Face, but I can't think of a worse year for new music.
  • I think to much loneliness and long distance is making you depressed g.

What was so wonderful about 2013? 2012? 2011? I can't remember, off the top of my head without referring to Google, a single album I liked from 2012! or 2011! for that matter!
  • This decade hasn't been brilliant for sure Bob, but I'd wager this year has been easily the weakest.
  • I guess it's a subjective thing.

The War on Drugs is currently sitting on a metacritic rating of 86 and Sun Kil Moon on 84. I can see neither album maybe your cup of tea but any year that gives two stone cold classics is no bad in year in my book.

Of course it's no 1997.

Personally I have a lot less time to listen to music these days as my commute to work is an hour a day shorter and my wife and I watch more TV so I'm finding less memorable music but I think it may just be me.
  • There certainly hasn't been anything utterly stupendous this year, but there has been lots of great, solid albums. Takeaways will probably be St. Vincent, Aphex Twin, FlyLo, Malkmus and Manics for me. All fine albums by well established musicians just doing there thing. Nothing really groundbreaking
  • I predict that Einstürzende Neubauten - Lament will be my Album of the year. It's a concept album about World War I, commissioned by a Flemish town as a performance piece to commemorate the centenary. I've not listened to it in its entirety as it's on my Xmas list and I may not even get to hear it this year. The Youtube clips I've seen of the performances are impressive and I'm a bit gutted I didn't hear about it before. I've not listened to much else new this year.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • You should listen to Ypres by Tindersticks too. Was commissioned for the a WW1 museum a few years ago, released this year.
  • Tempy wrote:
    You should listen to Ypres by Tindersticks too. Was commissioned for the a WW1 museum a few years ago, released this year.

I will certainly give it a go.The Tindersticks singer always sounds a bit like Vic Reeves singing in the club style to me, so I might end up laughing my way through it.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • There are no vocals cos it's about Ypres.

(You're right about the Vic Reeves thing though)
  • The War on Drugs comes in second on the Guardians list.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/dec/11/best-albums-of-2014-no-2-lost-in-the-dream-by-the-war-on-drugs

Must check out the FKW Twigs album too.
  • m8 we get it war on drugs ok
  • And some other things.

I'll give it a rest now though.
  • to be fair I've bought a lot of stuff this year that got great reviews that I ended up not really liking.

Pallbearer and Merchandise spring to mind.
  • Oh and I thought Rips by Ex Hex was a great album this year

• You realise you'll never agree on this? Music is even more subjective than games. And you're all wrong anyway...

Anything by Thomas Bergersen also gets on my list of Best Things In The Universe Ever...

• 2014 has been the best year for ages. So much great stuff came out.
  • I've only bought 3 new releases dated 2014.
  • WorKid wrote:
    2014 has been the best year for ages. So much great stuff came out.
    Like what?
  • There's plenty of stuff that came out this year I'll be listening to a few years on I reckon. But, it's all from established artists that I already know. Too much new stuff that is kinda treading water. Like, The Malkmus/Jicks album is probably his second maybe third best attempt with that set up, but If you don't like old Malks I doubt it's gonna do much for you.

In the long term it's the way things are going, there's no scenes or unique spikes of activity these days as the internet has diluted it all. I will admit I didn't really try very hard with the youtube list cos I didn't think anyone would bother with it. Just typed Band + Album and added whatever hit came up first. But I mean If you don't like Shellac and can't get excited for their first album in 7 years I can't help you sorry.
  • g.man wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    2014 has been the best year for ages. So much great stuff came out.
    Like what?

The War o... hang on a minute..

I take it g. that you've had a look at most of the big end of  year lists and found them all wanting?

I posted the Guardians before.

Stereogum listed 50 here

http://www.stereogum.com/1721100/the-50-best-albums-of-2014/list/

etc.
  • Yes, I've been ploughing through them. Listened to the first thee tracks in that War on Drugs album so far. Not setting my world on fire.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've ummed and aaahed and stayed within one genre as I've not really listened to enough outside it to make an informed decision on metal, rap or dance music. These are for me the most important albums this year, I snuck an eleventh one in a it was only an ep, but here you go

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWnw8B6soAN1SVidbV8gEpoy_LESq_pwD
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm sure that it isn't g's cup of tea, but Trangender Dysphoria Blues is one of the best albums I've ever heard, not just this year. Instant classic for me.

It's one of those rare albums I can stick on repeat and listen to for hours.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Completely agree, I found it a really difficult year to narrow it down. But I guess punk rock was lucky, or maybe it was that bad that everything else got promoted by comparison. I even left The Menzingers and Weezer out of that top ten. If you try that YouTube list it has the best version of Black Me Out on it. I really hope LJG meant it when she said she's not interested in hormones or surgery as I wonder how it will affect her voice
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!