Happy new year
  • djchump wrote:
    "... is now acceptable", i.e. "got put in the dictionary". Learn 2 read more better.
    I read it perfectly well. Those two do not equate, as things are frequently acceptable before the appear in a dictionary if, indeed, they ever do. Learn to write what you mean.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Hurr durr, that's what I was talking about. Climb off your own high horse there fella.
    It's not remotely what you said, though. If you're going to call people dumb fucks, it's best to make sure your own house is in order first.
    "... is now acceptable", i.e. "got put in the dictionary". Learn 2 read more better.
    I read it perfectly well. Those two do not equate, as things are frequently acceptable before the appear in a dictionary if, indeed, they ever do. Learn to write what you mean.
    Of course they equate if that's what I meant. 
    Or are you now arguing that both meaning acceptably changes according to intention of the speaker/writer ("literally"), and that also that meaning is not flexible according to the intention of the speaker/writer (my "acceptable == what is in the dictionary")?

Btw, is this the five minute argument, or the full half hour?
  • Your logic completely fails there, dj. There are pretty much two ways that one can interpret 'literally', and its use nearly always makes it abundantly apparent which is meant. There are a number of ways that word usage can be 'acceptable', and not all of them involve its inclusion in the dictionary. Indeed, the very point we were talking about highlights the fact that a great many words have acceptable meanings that are not included in the dictionary. There is no way of knowing that you meant 'included in the dictionary' unless you say, 'included in the dictionary'.

By your logic, I could have a go at you because when I wrote 'dictionary' you thought I meant 'dictionary' when what I really meant was 'banana'.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    ... There are a number of ways that word usage can be 'acceptable', and not all of them involve its inclusion in the dictionary. ...

What, so now you're agreeing that my use of "is now acceptable" to mean "got put in the dictionary" is now valid, and thus is in fact equatable?  
    Good oh, we can stop now then.   
    adkm1979 wrote:
    ... There is no way of knowing that you meant 'included in the dictionary' unless you say, 'included in the dictionary'. ...

So this is down to you not understanding things even after they've been explained to you then?  
    Okey-dokey, we can stop now then.
    adkm1979 wrote:
    ... By your logic, I could have a go at you because when I wrote 'dictionary' you thought I meant 'dictionary' when what I really meant was 'banana'.

Nah, cos that would be you being thick and getting a word wrong, like if you used the word literally to mean figuratively.
    And so we've come full circle and we can stop now then.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What are you two banging on about?
  • Happy new year?
    Can-of-sprite
  • DJ expecting people to be psychic, then being a dick about it when we're not.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    What are you two banging on about?

My thoughts exactly!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Happy new year.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    DJ expecting people to be psychic, then being a dick about it when we're not.
    Err, except you're the one that took a swing at me by telling me to get off my high horse, but then ironically proceeded to agree with exactly what I'd been saying. Further irony then being that you told me I should get my house my in order and know what I'm talking about before daring to criticise/insult people, lulz.
  • You care enough, apparently.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The 'happy new year' thread got barely more than a day into the new year before it stopped being happy. WELL DONE EVERYONE.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • See, this is why this whole festive season is shite.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Literally the daftest episode this month.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's unacceptable
  • Wookie, you are a right grinch!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You leave Wookie alone, he's had a hard time AND he's right.  That said I had a lovely Xmas and NY cos of the lovely people around me, but the premise is toss.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!