Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Do they still make mobos with AGP? I had loads of trouble finding one about 5 years ago, everything had changed to PCI.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Hello again gentlemen, Facebookers may have noticed my futile attempts a week or so back to cobble together all of my parts into a working machine. I am have failed. Is there anywhere on the web that I can spec out what I want and have it recommend stuff? Mobo needs AGP and four PCI slots Processor needs to be not awesome but not that poop either Whenever I see bundles in shops they only have two PCI slots nowadays, I haz peripherals

If you look here

http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/304/lets-make-a-gaming-pc

People were good enough to post two lists of recommended builds at a variety of price points.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I've just discovered pressing WinKey and left/right/up arrows snaps the active window to left, right, windowed or maximised. Dread to think how long it's done that and I've never known.
    oh man, that snapping to left/right will prove handy.

Ctrl+Alt and the arrow keys is more fun though.  especially when someone does it by mistake aiming for ctrl+alt+delete.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Windows key +  top row number relates to whatever you have pinned to your taskbar FYI.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • As cool as that is, I think i could probably click the icon quicker than look, count which 'number' i want then hit the combo!
    And windows + T appears to slightly pointlessly highlight each pinned item and open app in turn.

but that's enough of me holding down the windows key and pressing random keys!
  • I find an excellent way to get to know Windows thoroughly is to mistakenly leave my 21 month old son in the same room as an open laptop. You will not believe the changes he can make in under 5 minutes.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Question: Would a vpn protect a tablet if I was using it on a lot of open wifi networks? I'm planning a trip to the north of Africa starting next month and I'll probably be using both my Galaxy tab and phone to connect to wifi quite a lot, probably involving plenty of credit card and other financial transactions and I'm a bit worried about potential information theft. Would a vpn be some kind of solution to that? Advantages / disadvantages?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    In theory it should do, that's exactly what they're designed to do.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yes it would!

Disadvantage, your connection is only as fast as what your vpn provides.

Advantage, confidentiality & integrity of data.

However, whatever you're doing on your phone, i.e. payments will be facilitated with a secure connection so having a vpn isn't doing much apart from securing any plain text information and hiding your surfing habits from the wifi provider and those on the same network.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I'm just a bit worried about password and stuff like that. Can you recommend a good vpn service?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The price of these guys is pretty reasonable http://provpnaccounts.com/Buy_VPN_Account-118-articles I was once paying double a month for not even a hundredth of that speed.

These days I just make sure that anything sensitive I sign into has a secure connection first which it usually does. However I understand your concerns given the location.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cheers for that.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So Firefox has updated again, and embedded Flash is even more fucked up than it was yesterday. Bravo.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't see much point in Firefox anymore really.
  • What's the most handy browser these days? I'm fed up of FF too.
  • i use Chrome now, firefox is like a sick joke, every time i open it to test something on it it asks for an update, and each update seems to add new problems...
  • Yeah, I'll head back to Chrome perhaps, thanks.
  • Anyone know why Chrome keeps giving me this message (only on one specific website):

Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this webpage later.
    Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

It's irritating as fuck. I've cleared cache, cookies, history, all that crap but still it persists.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It seems that error 324 happens for some who also run 
    Internet Download Manager
     on their system. Here is the info I found:
    If you get "Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data" - open 
    IDM
     and go to menu bar 
    Downloads > Options > General 
    and 
    uncheck
     the
    "use advanced browser integration"
     checkbox. 
  • I've haven't got Internet Download Manager as far as I'm aware.

But thanks anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dunno so, sorry.
  • Can somebody explain to me how using a VPN protects you on public WiFi?  I thought the trouble with public WiFi was people sniffing your packets as they travel to the access point, which they'll still be able to do.
  • VPN creates an encrypted 'tunnel' between your device and wherever you VPN to. people will still be able to 'sniff your packets', they just won't be able to make sense of the smell (data).
  • But it's already encrypted...

Wait, is this a keys issue?  Something to do with being able to store the VPN key when you're on a secure connection but the SSL key's sent on demand, maybe?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not all communication is encrypted, only stuff between sites that use it.

Encryption adds a bandwidth overhead, which admittedly is less of an issue than it used to be (except on mobile perhaps). I use the SSL Everywhere plug in for Firefox that defaults to SSL when available.
  • I was assuming that anyone here who's sending sensitive data over the Internet is bright enough not to do it unless they've got an encrypted connection to wherever it's going.

If not, I've got a fantastic time-share offer for them.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Fucking bollocks; here's a good one for you all.

Whilst playing a bit of Alpha Protocol I heard a faint but distinct "crack" sound; I had no idea where it came from but it was nearby. About 1 sec later I was hit by a seriously strong smell of burning electrics and the penny dropped.

I immediately went to turn my PC off at the back switch but before I could I got my monitor's no signal screen and it began sounding a single beep, about 2 secs apart. I didn't hang around to see what happened after that and turned it off as soon as I could pull my desk out.

I took the side panels off and there was no sign of any excessive heat but I assume that it must be a short. 

I've had a good look inside (my case allows you to see pretty much everything) and I can see no scorching or burnt cables. So...

What the fuck do I do? I guess that plugging it back in and seeing what happens is probably a bad idea. I could take it apart but then what happens if there's no sign of where the incident occurred? How can I check each component without it being whole?

I'm well out of my depth; any advice would be much appreciated.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Look at the capacitors may be?  Could be one popped?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm definitely not an expert here, but I think plugging it back in is your only choice.

Strip everything from the motherboard and see if that comes up with a bios.

Then add the HDD and work up to see what bit has failed.

If you get nothing at all from the motherboard then I'd assume it's some part of that or the PSU, probably not repairable. If you can find out or know already what bios you have you might be able to find out what the beep code was.

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Happened to me before, once. It was the PSU overloading and burning out. Took the motherboard with it too. If it's the PSU then when you plug it in  and turn it on, the computer will probably boot up and turn itself off fairly rapidly. It will eventually not turn on at all.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!