PEECEE HELP
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Well I went with the "let's see what happens" option and it wouldn't even spin a fan. Ergo it must at least be the psu.
    I'll start by replacing that and hope it hasn't done a Kow. 

Thanks to all; I'll let you know how it pans out (when I can afford a psu).
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Right, anyone know anything about home networking?

I have some homeplugs (bloody genius things), but you can probably just assume it's ethernet. I have a wireless router/modem (Virgin Superhub, actually) upstairs, and 3 access points using homeplugs around the house, including one in the living room. These all connect via another homeplug to the superhub.

Now, I want to connect more devices in the living room. 

Can I use a switch - I think that's what they are called - to connect more devices in the living room? It's unlikely that they'll all be using the network together, at least not heavily, but disconnecting and reconnecting is getting annoying.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    A switch is a specific network component designed to do a job much more advanced than what you need. You need either a hub (which I'm not sure you'll find now) or, more simply, another router.

If you have an old one you can use that or I've got to assume old G ones can be had for peanuts on eBay.

You need to connect it to a PC, open the control panel, and turn OFF DHCP.  If it's a wireless router, which it probably will be, you almost certainly want to turn the wireless off as well. Running two different wireless networks in the same close space is rarely a good idea*

Then you just connect the homeplug to the router, and then everything else to the router. Bob's yer Dad's brother.

If you don't have or can't get an old router, then yes, a switch will do the job without the minor DHCP faff.

*unless you want to make them both the same wireless network but that's a whole other ball game.
  • Oh I've got loads of old useless routers. Well, actually, modem/routers. Will that matter?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Nope, all the same thing.

Well, the three I've used variously over the years to do what I typed up have always just worked fine.
  • I presume I have to turn off the modem-y part?

Nice one - cheers. Will have a go tomorrow.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You shouldn't need to turn the modem bit off. I'm not sure how you would other than if there's a "use as access point" option. Which is basically a shortcut to what I just described but leaves on the wireless.
  • Just want to make a correction here, because I'm a pedantic bastard.

Almost certainly, nobody makes hubs any more because they're shit and switches are so cheap - if you search "network hub" on Amazon, the first result is a £7.50 switch.  It's a switch connecting all the network ports together in your router, for instance; the router itself is actually the piece of hardware that's sitting between the modem and the switch.

What Mod's thinking of - which is much more advanced than most people, even most companies, need - is a managed switch.
  • Yeah, even though in a home environment the problems with hubs wouldn't be such an issue, a simple switch would always be the preferred option.
    but Mod is right in that if you have an old 'adsl router' lying around it will function as a hub/switch, you just don't connect the ADSL bit to anything.  and like he said, make sure to disable DHCP on the router, otherwise it will give network addresses out to the devices on your network, and that would basically cause them to try to get the internet off that 'switch only' router rather than your actual internet connection.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    What Mod's thinking of - which is much more advanced than most people, even most companies, need - is a managed switch.

No, I'm thinking of a switch. Even the consumer ones do (should do) more networky management stuff like traffic priority than he really needs to just split a connection a couple of ways to save changing plugs.

Admittedly I didn't realise the comsumer ones had fallen to £7.50. The cheapest Netgear one I can see on PCW is £20.
  • Fair enough, it was the "much more advanced" that made me think you were talking about a managed one.  The end result is basically the same as a hub, just done better.  They're entirely unmanaged; you couldn't change a setting on them if you wanted to.

If it's of interest, £7.50 was just the first result on Amazon; they're available even cheaper.  You can probably pick them up for a couple of quid - without even trying I've just found them for £4.  I can't remember the last time I saw someone selling a hub.  Hell, I can't remember the last time I saw a hub.
  • Hubs have no place in the world.

Your router almost certainly contains a switch, as AJ_ said.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It'll obviously have the switching function but it really depends on the router as to how much management stuff it has.
  • Which is irrelevant.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    True, and doubly irrelevant as he seems to be only wanting to use one thing at a time. Which is why he doesn't need to pay for a dedicated switch.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    A hub would have done the "split one connection 2 ways to save me swapping cables" thing fine, but only that. The fact that switches have dropped in price negates the need to choose one on price basis. Something which I admit hadn't checked.
  • Why won't Alienware let you put 2 Geforce GTX690 cards into a PC (SLI thingymabob)?

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Um, well, the motherboard needs to support SLI, as a starting point.
  • But they allow you to put 2 GTX 680s together.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I dunno then. Perhaps they rightly assumed anyone putting it in the configuarator was just idly dreaming with no intention of actually buying.

Here's a dual 690 system from Scan instead.

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1390
  • I appreciate the arguing on my behalf. Thanks chaps.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've got modem/router issues as well (as per my post in the gadget thread) with the basic gist being my wireless is on the blink in my current BT Homehub.

I ordered a Cisco Linksys E4200 as it received the best reviews but it turns out I need to connect this to my existing modem and I just want a simple all-in-one solution. Any recommendations greatly received, ideally something I can get from Amazon so I can get it tomorrow.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone use an MS keyboard and mouse have a new management program come down the wire recently? The more Metro styled one.

My mouse has suddenly started lagging and I'm trying to work out if it's the software or the batteries.

Could try uninstalling the s/w I guess.
  • Or new batteries, might be quicker.
  • Use a light pen instead. It's like you're writing on the screen!
  • Use a real pen and write on the screen.  It's really writing on the screen!
  • Then, if you wanted to save what you've written on your screen, you could use a real pen to copy it down onto a piece of paper like you're some kind of human-printer-cyborg-man.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!