PEECEE HELP
  • Does anyone know how I might be able to download this (and other similar) videos to my desktop or whether I'm somehow blocked from doing so?

I'm trying to use FVD Video Downloader extension on Chrome but doesn't seem to recognise that there's anything on the page to download.  Also no joy with Download Helper on Firefox, though that could be cos FF has just updated (AGAIN!) and now refuses to play the videos in the first place.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't see what it is on my phone but Real Player allows videos to be downloaded from a lot of sources. It pops up a little download ticket at the top of the video.
  • Thanks  - unfortunately that's a no-go too.  It's a series of videos from the OUP site but I think they're DRMed or something cos I can't seem to download them by any obvious means.  No matter, just means I can only watch them when I'm online.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I always go with zamzar.com
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Right guys, a mate has chucked me a PC and I think he's taking the piss wanting 40 quid for it. ATX case, pentium 4 3.00 gh, half gig ram and onboard ATI Radeon 200 gwaffix

On the flip side it does bloody work so is the best start yet
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Tell him you'll take it for free and wont charge him the VAT fees on what you get from selling any reclaimed copper you might get, after giving it an acid bath.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Right guys, a mate has chucked me a PC and I think he's taking the piss wanting 40 quid for it. ATX case, pentium 4 3.00 gh, half gig ram and onboard ATI Radeon 200 gwaffix On the flip side it does bloody work so is the best start yet

Not exactly mates rates that.
    I got a similar computer from a fella in the IT department for my kids a couple of years ago.  It cost me exactly one Benson and Hedges cigarette.
    You should haggle.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • When I change PCs I generally give the old one away - doesn't really seem right charging anything for something which is not only virtually obsolete but could go kaput at any time.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Years ago, well, 15 years ago, you used to be able to get stuff like Adobe Director for making CD based multimedia stuff. But there doesn't seem to be anything like that around anymore. Anyone know of something similar, ideally open source?

(no, I'm not spending £1000 on a copy of Director)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Adobe Encore is the way. But again commercial. Can't you get plugins for handbrake or at least package them. SOrry no idea on reliable open source stuff for this.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That's just DVD authoring isn't it?

I was thinking a PC package. My best option right now, I think, is probably Powerpoint.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Shirely it'll do jazz for CD rom? Maybe not. WHat are you trying to do- bundle the wedding snaps and video?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You knows it.
  • You'll be wanting either Flash or (preferably) HTML for that these days.

If you want a gallery, there were an absolute shit-load of generators last time I looked.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't really want to run it in a browser though. To many potential variances, would rather have it in one exe package. Maybe I'm being old fashioned but I wanted it to look like a thing rather than a website on disc.

I could do it in flash but I can't be arsed programming that for 400 images.

EDIT: actually, one of these might do the job

http://www.visual-blast.com/flash/free-flash-gallery-solutions-for-your-images/
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Actually, all of them are rubbish or don't work offline. If I'm biting the Flash bullet then there's good enough tools in Camtasia Studio to do what I need.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Actually, all of them are rubbish or don't work offline. If I'm biting the Flash bullet then there's good enough tools in Camtasia Studio to do what I need.

What's it for? Why not just use Powerpoint? If speed is a thing, then it's the best option, and there are software clients all over the place.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, Powerpoint or Camtasia. And as I've just noticed Camtasia has dropped the Create Stand Alone Pacakage option I think it'll end up being Powerpoint.

...and star wipe, and star wipe..
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Have you considered adobe lightroom- it'll out put all the images you have to a gallery in Flash or Air as an exe or embedded into a webpage. Failing that if you know anyone with a mac, I would recommend iMovie.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't own Lightroom sorry. I've no experience with iMovie but I'm guessing it does a similar thing to Live Movie Maker or Camtasia.

I dunno, I think I'm trying to do something that isn't particularly fashionable anymore.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    iMovie shits all over anything once you work out it's nuances. Such as if you want any bg music it has to be a track that's already in iTunes. Those kinds of things. You could rent a mac and have it done in a weekend? 

Windows Movie Maker might as well be a naught star app. Even the iOS version of iMovie is more like a desktop app than it.

I wouldn't say it isn't fashionable, it's just not fashionable with the geeks. In fact I'd say it's so fashionable that everyone uses one of many consumer products to get it done.

I'd bite the bullet, pay for something or acquire one and make something all bells and whistles great. Considering Powerpoint seems tacky and defeatist. To me anyway.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I dunno if you've used it but as well as being a screen capture program Camtasia is also a very capable video editor. I can't think of anything I'd want to do in iMovie that I couldn't in that. It's just they don't market it as such.

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia-whats-new.html

Powerpoint feels tacky and defeatist to me as well. But maybe I'm being judgemental and maybe I'm seriously overestimating how much of a shit the audience will give.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The real audience is you and your newly made fambo anybody else in the audience got a free ticket.

Camtasia looks the part, but didn't think you wanted to pay for it. 

Onward march, for the family!

iMovie is a solid piece of kit, it does quite a bit more than Live Movie. Better off getting the low down from the Apple bastards in the Mac fred if you really want to get into what does what. Then make a feature list so you can compare each. Then maybe add weighting to each feature. Create a bulk of personas and then define which app is best for each person. With further weighting to other immeasurable metrics you'll eventually come down to what could almost be an arguably scientific review score.
  • Can someone who understands email better than me explain how I can receive spam email that purports to be from someone in my contacts list but is obviously not from their email address?  i.e. the 'From' address will read as a genuine contact name followed by an obviously dodgy looking email address such as 'Joe Bloggs ([email protected])'.  I've received several in the last week or two, each from different contacts in my address book and each email simply contains a link to something dubious that I have no intention of clicking to.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
    Thanks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Happens a lot, apparently fairly easy to do. I get them all the time.
  • No, that's just the way email works; you can set any name and address for the from field. If they'd set the address too, your spam mail filter would have picked it up because it came from the wrong server. Hell, you could fill in any name you want in your email client and people would see that when they get mail from you.

The fact they know one of your contact's names might be something to worry about (but then again might not since there's all kinds of places they could find things like that out). If you want to err on the side of caution though, change your password and suggest the person who's name they used does too.

EDIT: damn, too slow.
  • That's what worries me more, is that they're using names from my contact list - I already changed my password recently though as the result of a completed unconnected (and as it happens unfounded) paranoia.  I guess I'll do it again if it continues to happen...
  • And it'll still continue to happen when you do; changing your password won't magically erase the list they have. If you changed the password recently, you're probably fine.
  • Something you might find comforting is that it could have come from something as innocuous as your contact using a dodgy Facebook app.

Hell, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could be derived from what's publicly accessible on Twitter.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!