Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • I'm surprised they're even doing this and PES tbh, thought they were done with console gaming.
  • Crazy people. MGS V is one of the finest games ever made.

Could have done without any of the online stuff though.

This new thing looks like a big load of balls.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Crazy people. MGS V is one of the finest games ever made.

Could have done without any of the online stuff though.

This new thing looks like a big load of balls.

Concur. This is a total lolwut. Reminds me of Raccoon City and that went real well
  • The game plays well but the structure and shortcomings are incredibly significant. The game wears you down by the end and you don't even get an ending for all that.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    The game plays well but the structure and shortcomings are incredibly significant. The game wears you down by the end and you don't even get an ending for all that.

Bang on, was my goty but it could have been a contender for best game ever.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I guess the other consideration is whether your skill feels extended by the game or not.

After ~50 hours of Mario 3D World or most Kamiya games, you have pretty much nailed the basics but you are asked to string them together in ever more demanding challenges. 

In MGSV you have the same skills true, but your use of them is limited to which gameplay timers you were patient enough to harvest resources for. And then you get to use those skills in Neutralise the Armoured Unit 12 or Disarm the Claymore Mines 16.

Halo 2 was equally insulting with its narrative arc, but at least they didnt make you wait 12 hours upgrading a gun to fight Tartarus with, and then make you do it a second time to tick off a checklist which restricts your progress in Act 2.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I gave up with 5 shortly after the end of the first Chapter...
    Spoiler:
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That bit in the spoiler was genuinely great.
  • V is shit to me because it lacks any sort of plot structure like previous entries. the gameplay is top notch without a doubt, but there was nothing i can remember about the game. compared that to all the stand out sections in older ones, including boss battles, the crazy set pieces and you're left with a nice looking vita game with not much personality. this is all just my opinion though.

that said the hospital intro part is great!
  • Vela wrote:
    That bit in the spoiler was genuinely great.
    Yup, felt I'd seen all I needed to after that.
  • V was the absolute tits. Gameplay, incredible.

This though?
    PcRbov8.jpg
  • g.man wrote:
    I gave up with 5 shortly after the end of the first Chapter...
    Spoiler:
    I think by that point you've basically played a whole game, so everything else is just a bonus.

Yes, it's repetitive if you try and do everything, but there's no need to do it so it's there for those that want it. I stopped at about 68%, having done all the main missions and maybe two thirds of the side missions, and by that time I'd had over 100 hours of enjoyment. Could hardly complain that there's too much content.

I'd agree that the game is too stingy with cash though, and I think that's down to it being tied to the online mode. Would've been happier with a pure offline game that allowed you to buy most of the stuff by the time you'd finished the main missions. But even then, I had a ridiculous number of toys to play with by the time I stopped playing.

Plus it's just miles ahead of any other open world game I've played in its gameplay.
  • it felt to me like a game which was really brilliantly done but the investment for the brilliance, in terms of dickheadconsumergamers required a million hours of "content" to justify/compensate a tiny variety of things to do.

When one mission is literally a replacement head on a body (the head being from the prequel) it's a bit stinky.

I think there was definitely more on the cards. As a interesting variety:amount of time/space ratio ground zeros was way ahead of Phantom.
  • Yeah, can't lie. I had fifty hours of fun with it, but there was no way in hell I was going to sink another fifty.
  • I never felt burnt out beacsuse I didn't like the handful of side-ops I did, so I just didn't do any more, when I saw titles of 'Kill Heavy Infantey 4' I just realised that was all it was. Not reason to put myself through that.

Gunning the main missions was more than enough to see me for over 50 hours of play time.

I went super lit student on the story too, for those of you that can deal with me droning on for 15 minutes. Feel free to skip the first minute - it's just ill advised bumf I was testing green screen with.

• Tempus vids are gr8 I fap errytiem.

All should watch and subscribe.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Tempy wrote:
    I never felt burnt out beacsuse I didn't like the handful of side-ops I did, so I just didn't do any more, when I saw titles of 'Kill Heavy Infantey 4' I just realised that was all it was. Not reason to put myself through that. Gunning the main missions was more than enough to see me for over 50 hours of play time. I went super lit student on the story too, for those of you that can deal with me droning on for 15 minutes. Feel free to skip the first minute - it's just ill advised bumf I was testing green screen with.

Thats great and possibly the first time iv read the comments on a you tube video with interest instead of disapointment.

My view is that its the very best metal gear mechanicly and ties up the story loop in an interesting way, whether thats with disapointment for some dosn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, the fact we are still discusing it is probably more important. 
    If they reached the end then they have probably had there moneys worth and theres still plenty to do there. (im 93 % completion and keep going back to try diffrent things/experiment)

Kojima is always someone who will subvert expectations and take risks and im thankfull for that.
    Also We knew big boss were never going to be a hero by the end.

Theres a few things you missed in your video though, you even mention one in your comments.
    Spoiler:
  • Cheers davie - there's plenty I missed sadly but I was trying to keep it fairly focused on the main story, and ended up cutting a lot to keep it pacey - I do regret missing out Quiet and the virus stuff though. Always planned a follow up but other stuff got in the way.
  • Good video @Tempy had no idea you was a youtuber.

MGSV is always going to divide opinion. Like I said earlier it was my goty and I put a good 80hrs into it, finishing on about 80% I think. 

What let it down for me was the story, for me it was a big let down. Both in terms of structure and the twist. Just my opinion though, I'm envious of those you enjoyed that aspect.

Now personally I think Kojima's whole story arc is a bit of a mess, after the success of MGS on PSone I think it would have been better to treat the series like 70s Bond movies:
    - no continuity 
    - new villain each game/film
    - recurring core cast Solid Snake/Bond, Roy Campbel/M, Mei Ling/Moneypenny, Otacon/Q etc

Just run with that.

After Kojima left I was really hoping thats what Konami would do.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Tempy wrote:
    I never felt burnt out beacsuse I didn't like the handful of side-ops I did, so I just didn't do any more, when I saw titles of 'Kill Heavy Infantey 4' I just realised that was all it was. Not reason to put myself through that.

Gunning the main missions was more than enough to see me for over 50 hours of play time.

I went super lit student on the story too, for those of you that can deal with me droning on for 15 minutes. Feel free to skip the first minute - it's just ill advised bumf I was testing green screen with.

I think for me gunning was not an option because after playing peace walker I got burned by blazing through and having underlevelled pea shooters for the timed (and therefore impossible) late boss.

But even still the fact the game includes beat heavy guy 4 is kind of damning on its own.
  • Konami talks about the plot for Metal Gear: Survive. The world points and laughs.
    So basically, after the events of Ground Zeroes, Mother Base gets pulled through a random wormhole and ends up in an alien environment where you have to team up with other survivors to fight hordes of zombies.

m'kay

g.man
  • just fucking make revengance 2: more revenge already
  • @crayon gunning was figurative not literal, I used stealth for 90% of it
  • Konami talks about the plot for Metal Gear: Survive. The world points and laughs. So basically, after the events of Ground Zeroes, Mother Base gets pulled through a random wormhole and ends up in an alien environment where you have to team up with other survivors to fight hordes of zombies. m'kay g.man

Edit: As a premise for some random other game i have to say i'm intrigued!  The trailer isn't doing it for me though.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @crayon gunning was figurative not literal, I used stealth for 90% of it
    Read that as "gurning" which in the context doesn't seem a stretch. :)
  • Tempy wrote:
    @crayon gunning was figurative not literal, I used stealth for 90% of it

I didn't mean literally either. In PW I skipped side missions which meant the guns were shit (lack of exp) but that meant the boss was impossible to switch off (it was a timed nuke)

Phanto had similar mechanisms so I presumed the least resistance level path was not a good idea.
  • i hated all the bosses in PW. i really think portable ops was great in that regard.
  • Billy wrote:
    Konami talks about the plot for Metal Gear: Survive. The world points and laughs. So basically, after the events of Ground Zeroes, Mother Base gets pulled through a random wormhole and ends up in an alien environment where you have to team up with other survivors to fight hordes of zombies. m'kay g.man
    Edit: As a premise for some random other game i have to say i'm intrigued!  The trailer isn't doing it for me though.

Lol konami just out kojima'd kojima ffs.

4 player co-op with that engine and mechanics has me interested, they didnt really need the metal gear tag or wormhole storyline though.
    Not being full price means it has a chance though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I love the half baked Kojness of the title. THERES 2 VS BECAUSE ITS A SEQUEL TO V AND IF YOU ACRONYM THE TITLE IT SPELLS MGS
    Make
    U
    Think
  • dg5TzX2%20-%20Imgur_zps0lh8yedu.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!