Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • I'm not big on handheld gaming and so missed out on PO and PW. Did end up watching a vid of the PW story and cutscenes though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • well it was great. Grey Fox, young Roy Campbell, good boss fights and David Hayter. i remember one-stick issues with the vita not having dual analogues though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Mgs3 is the most coherent of the series along with mgs1. Both take place in a continuous area, which gives you a better sense of connection to the area. The advantage of snake eater though is the systems within it. Destroy an armoury or store room and guards become hungry or under equipped. Then add in the various uses for items such as the raikov mask, posion frogs in the fight with the fear, CQC etc. 

I'd argue it still has superior gameplay to TPP.

Absolute bollocks. I love feed on a treefrog to pieces but the slew of one off gimmicks is like a toybox compared to V's gargantuan ballpit of entwining systems.
  • no, that's bollocks. CROC HAT agrees with me.

i'd rather have a slew of one-off gimmicks that make sense over having fucking holographic 'iDroids', zombies and robo mech bikes in the 1980s.

3 THE BEST
  • The anachronistic tech in MGS is always a hoot.
  • Tapes. What's that all about eh?!
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Mgs3 is the most coherent of the series along with mgs1. Both take place in a continuous area, which gives you a better sense of connection to the area. The advantage of snake eater though is the systems within it. Destroy an armoury or store room and guards become hungry or under equipped. Then add in the various uses for items such as the raikov mask, posion frogs in the fight with the fear, CQC etc.  I'd argue it still has superior gameplay to TPP.
    Absolute bollocks. I love feed on a treefrog to pieces but the slew of one off gimmicks is like a toybox compared to V's gargantuan ballpit of entwining systems.

All of which are limited to outpost tower encounters and small base infiltration. MGSV is impressive in controls/fluidity, but in terms of systems its not measurably smarter than Snake Eater. Sons of Liberty is still the template for enemy squad AI in terms of sweeps. 3 added CQC and the wildlife, camo, food and supply systems. What does V bring?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    YOU DICKLICKS CAN WAIT TILL I GET HOME.
  • I struggled to get on with MGS V. Amazing stealth systems and gameplay but I struggled with the lack of direction / repetition. I did put in a good amount of time but never felt a draw to return to it.

It is a shame as I adore the other entries in the series. MGS 1, 3 and 4 are all great games (with 4 being the weakest) but I would actually say MGS 2 is my personal favourite. I was fine with Raiden, I loved Vamp and the cut scenes and graphics were incredible for the time. I played it through 2 or 3 times and adored it every time. However, this love of it could stem from it being the game I got with my PS2 so it was very happy memories.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    HOT COLDMAN

Genuinely I loved old Hot
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    All of which are limited to outpost tower encounters and small base infiltration. MGSV is impressive in controls/fluidity, but in terms of systems its not measurably smarter than Snake Eater. Sons of Liberty is still the template for enemy squad AI in terms of sweeps. 3 added CQC and the wildlife, camo, food and supply systems. What does V bring?

Eh? Two large airfields (one of which has a huge Soviet military presence) and OKB Zero put to flame that idea. The Mujahideen underground ruins base alone feels more substantial and more dangerous than all of the Groznyj Grad areas combined. Then there's the square prison fort - typically more guards around than Snake Eater could ever render, AA guns on an overhanging cliff, sneaky access climbing up from a half-dried riverbed to the north of the fort, ventilation tunnels for solo infiltration, helipad for quick/suicidal chopper extraction - and this is just a minor base in the first area! 

Most of the outposts in both Africa and Afghanistan I can't remember names for fuck but I can think of easily as "that place on the slight mesa on the plains with the four gears I can extract", "That settlement with the one road where I can use smoke to easily abduct the Soviet Officer," "that pain in the arse Afghan base set into a mountain ridge which you don't want to try and sneak in the day once you start encountering snipers". They have legit character and personality just from their unique layouts.

Chatting about systems it's a bit of a miss that you don't feel to mention the series' first day/night cycle. The effect that has on how you approach infiltration is immense. And then it entwines with the gear enemy soldiers can wear. NVG's, gas masks, ballistic shields, and you can cut those supplies off if you fancy by sending the boys out.

Buddies. Buddies Buddies Buddies.

Actual CQC counters. I only mention this because I remember how gutted I was playing Subsistence and coming to realise you couldn't execute the classy counters from the main menu background. Pain fixed all that.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Guard sweep AI is moot because MGS 2 is essentially a closely controlled stealth maze where the designer's know every possible place the player could hide. Of course the AI is going to be good at checking most places a real person would. Even though iirc they never ever checked if you were hanging off ledges.

AI in V is easy to manipulate once you know the tricks but it has great moments of illusion. And I love the way a base reacts if you start sniping them. Lads get their binoculars out and start spotting for their mates. Soon after you're hearing bullet pangs on the rocks around you and you need to scarper before the mortars zero in.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    . Actual CQC counters. I only mention this because I remember how gutted I was playing Subsistence and coming to realise you couldn't execute the classy counters from the main menu background. Pain fixed all that. 

Except the CQC in Phantom Pain sucked total donkey dick compared to Ground Zeroes. 

Fuck man, Ground Zeroes was really good. I kinda want to go back and play it again. 

Oh shit, do I like Ground Zeroes more than Phantom Pain?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Should have known the grapple club president would moan about his missing combo into throws.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Next hayter i will shoot with a Uragan.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    . Actual CQC counters. I only mention this because I remember how gutted I was playing Subsistence and coming to realise you couldn't execute the classy counters from the main menu background. Pain fixed all that. 

Except the CQC in Phantom Pain sucked total donkey dick compared to Ground Zeroes. 

Fuck man, Ground Zeroes was really good. I kinda want to go back and play it again. 

Oh shit, do I like Ground Zeroes more than Phantom Pain?

Umm, you could perform the cqc from the intro screen thingie.
    And phantom pains were the same as ground zeros with a few extras added.

• Bollockoff wrote:
    Eh? Two large airfields (one of which has a huge Soviet military presence) and OKB Zero put to flame that idea. The Mujahideen underground ruins base alone feels more substantial and more dangerous than all of the Groznyj Grad areas combined. Then there's the square prison fort - typically more guards around than Snake Eater could ever render, AA guns on an overhanging cliff, sneaky access climbing up from a half-dried riverbed to the north of the fort, ventilation tunnels for solo infiltration, helipad for quick/suicidal chopper extraction - and this is just a minor base in the first area!  Most of the outposts in both Africa and Afghanistan I can't remember names for fuck but I can think of easily as "that place on the slight mesa on the plains with the four gears I can extract", "That settlement with the one road where I can use smoke to easily abduct the Soviet Officer," "that pain in the arse Afghan base set into a mountain ridge which you don't want to try and sneak in the day once you start encountering snipers". They have legit character and personality just from their unique layouts. Chatting about systems it's a bit of a miss that you don't feel to mention the series' first day/night cycle. The effect that has on how you approach infiltration is immense. And then it entwines with the gear enemy soldiers can wear. NVG's, gas masks, ballistic shields, and you can cut those supplies off if you fancy by sending the boys out. Buddies. Buddies Buddies Buddies. Actual CQC counters. I only mention this because I remember how gutted I was playing Subsistence and coming to realise you couldn't execute the classy counters from the main menu background. Pain fixed all that.
    Plus sleep mines and a dog with a taser.
  • Do the other MGS games have kidnap balloons? If not, 5 wins by default.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    @dig not those specific moves.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Do the other MGS games have kidnap balloons? If not, 5 wins by default.

Peace Walker does
  • djchump wrote:
    Do the other MGS games have kidnap balloons? If not, 5 wins by default.
    They were in Peace Walker. But yeah, the make a big difference in V to how a stealth game works - speeding everything up because you're not trying to hide every unconscious guard, or can just steal tanks etc. rather than destroy/hide from them.

I tried to play Ground Zeroes after V, but found it very limiting due to the lack of Fulton, buddies, and the iDroid.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Should have known the grapple club president would moan about his missing combo into throws.

:)
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • the qcq in 5 was the same as GZ wasn't it? had all the same moves AFAIK... and there were counters in 3, they were just really hard to time.

5 might have had some nice sections as Bollocks says, but the way the game was structured made them less memorable for me, and most of them were quite samey. open world issues. and the lack of any real interior sections became noticeable as it went on. Day/night cycle was also in PO and PW i think, and to a small extent 4... there's a section that changes if you don't manage to get there before morning breaks. 

also in 4 you could crush a mans testicles and hide them in a locker (the man, not his nuts). why did this not return?

5 gets massive points for letting me infiltrate a base then making a massive mistake and setting off all alarms, then making a daring escape in a jeep. those moments were great.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:

Jests aside i didnt realise that functionality was removed between games till you made me search. Weird removal. Balancing FOB mebbe? I wonder if its the same in MGO.

@smang the only CQC counter in 3 is just used against Boss and even then its some weird wrist lock you have to follow up with a typical CQC slam.

• The battle with The End is better than any encounter in V.
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Jests aside i didnt realise that functionality was removed between games till you made me search. Weird removal. Balancing FOB mebbe? I wonder if its the same in MGO. @smang the only CQC counter in 3 is just used against Boss and even then its some weird wrist lock you have to follow up with a typical CQC slam.

i swear i remember being able to disarm people if they tried to melee you... maybe that was another game.

what CQC did they remove from GZ?
  • GZ had much better looking CQC, compared to the whack punches and kicks of V basically. There were a bunch of contextual moves and stuff that don't appear in V but were in GZ.

Im sure in GZ you have different throws and combo finishes if you are attacking from the front, from behind, from cover, into walls, while sprinting, etc. In V its the same shit for everything pretty much. Which sucks because I wanted to brawl my way through Afghanistan and South Africa.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!