Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • Bob wrote:
    FIFA, GTA5, CoD:WW2 MHW, UFC3 Two out of five ain't bad.

Jesus GTAV is like bamboo in the garden. Its never gone.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I genuinely have no idea whose still buying it.. week in week out.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Vela wrote:
    MGSV is why I'm not interested in Death Stranding. Along with Halo 3 and GTAIV it would have to be right up there with my biggest personal disappointments when it comes to games.

Have we discussed this crazy talk before?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Without derailing things too much, let's just say I got way too invested in halo 3 hype and speculation. The real thing could never live up to the expectations I had. 

Level design was pretty shit in parts though. Crows Nest and Cortana were shit in particular.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Should you not be sent to some kind of Island for such talk?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • This is what I'm saying.
  • Vela wrote:
    Without derailing things too much, let's just say I got way too invested in halo 3 hype and speculation. The real thing could never live up to the expectations I had. 

Level design was pretty shit in parts though. Crows Nest and Cortana were shit in particular.

You're bloody mad mate. Play it again. Some of the best shooter levels ever devised.

Crows Nest is balls out action packed from start to finish!!! One of my favourites. Cortana is Cortana - belly of the beast - it's not supposed to have a coherent design. It's designed to leave you baffled as to where to go.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Should you not be sent to some kind of Island for such talk?

Please. Life in Van Diemen's Land will do nicely.
    Facewon wrote:
    This is what I'm saying.

Northerner. 
    You're bloody mad mate. Play it again. Some of the best shooter levels ever devised. Crows Nest is balls out action packed from start to finish!!! One of my favourites. Cortana is Cortana - belly of the beast - it's not supposed to have a coherent design. It's designed to leave you baffled as to where to go.

Crows Nest had some rubbish checkpoints especially at that Brute fight in the end. Cortana was the worst level in any game ever. No sense of direction, wall-fucking cheat enemies, terrible combination no matter the narrative justification.
  • The PlayStation 4 version only made it as far as number 13 in the individual formats chart and accounted for 68% of all sales. The Xbox One version only got as high as 33.

Survive sold 85% less copies in its debut week than Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Survive sold 5% as much as MGS5 during the same period.

Baddddd.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Halo 3 is fucking shit, but its understandable as its a Halo game. G'wan Vela, fuck 'em up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Halo 3 is a good game but not infallible. Take it to the halo thread lads.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nah take the MGS chat to the Halo thread
  • please respect kojima in this trying time
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pray 4 halojima
  • Verecocha wrote:
    The PlayStation 4 version only made it as far as number 13 in the individual formats chart and accounted for 68% of all sales. The Xbox One version only got as high as 33.

Survive sold 85% less copies in its debut week than Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Survive sold 5% as much as MGS5 during the same period.

Baddddd.

That's more like it, a bit of context to put it into perspective.

Defo a huge flop.

I wonder what Konami have planned going forward?

Seeing as they only seem to make PES and MGS these days it definitely makes me wonder if they'll cut back even more with console gaming.

Aren't PES sales always down recently too?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, PES has been doing well, but I think this may. E the death knell for old MGS
  • regmcfly wrote:
    No, PES has been doing well, but I think this may. E the death knell for old MGS

How well is well? Don't mean to sound rude but I'm genuinely interested.

Back when I last actively played footy games in the mid 2000s PES was very respected as posted solid numbers not far off FIFA and I think even better in the early part of that decade.

FIFA is an absolute beast now, I'm sure PES might have seen some YoY increases with the new gen kicking in but I can't imagine it's slice of the pie has been getting bigger.

It's all Konami seems to have now. I know Bomberman R was the biggest Bomberman since the late 90s but other than that success stories of theirs don't relate to gaming anymore.

I think they'd do well to follow Capcom with the retro collections, their back catalogue is outstanding tbf.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Again, maybe for another thread, but PES sales are unknown, but combining sales figures puts them in the several millions, nowhere near FIFA obviously .

I can post this if it helps
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pes-2018-pushes-konamis-profits-up/1100-6454507/
  • Ta.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • So after Death Stranding and talking of finishing this I went back and did some side ops, thanks for the directions, and I only had the last mission to complete. Glad I finished it as it was the only one I’d grown exhausted of, and it may be the fact that it was just the last mission but that was a bit of an anti climax.

What happened to this game? There was bound to be a twist and it was pretty obvious you weren’t the real BB but wasn’t that all just a bit...meh?

Glad I got it finished though. Finally. Says a lot the last mission gave a diamond achievement, only 1 in 20 actually get to see the ‘truth’.
  • Hang on
    Spoiler:
  • Tempy wrote:
    Hang on
    Spoiler:

Sorry, I meant to say weren’t!
  • The twist, if you could call it that would have come at the end of the last, cut missions where you accidentally shoot someone because you can't tell colours properly which you forgot as a player because it's a line from venom right after he wakes up and is being checked by the doctors at the start of the game.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • No one would remember that after 150 hours of checklisting menial repetitive tasks.

Amazing controls, poorly designed missions, with a map that is deceptively closed off from truly accessible open play.

Easily the biggest disappointment for me since halo 3.
  • The map was one of my favourite things tbh, fixed a big issue I have with openworld games by instead being a series of discrete, well designed areas linked by not much of note. Sort of like real life.
  • The illusion is shattered when you can't traverse a creek because of logs blocking it.

A 2m climb or a couple of small explosive charges from snake's arsenal should see to that in short order.

It is design that was humiliated by BOTW.
  • Vela wrote:
    Easily the biggest disappointment for me since halo 3.

Burn the heathen etc.
  • Vela wrote:
    The illusion is shattered when you can't traverse a creek because of logs blocking it.

A 2m climb or a couple of small explosive charges from snake's arsenal should see to that in short order.

This was fixed in the MGS5 Death Stranding patch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!