Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • If you ever used to read them, the MGS1 in particular was essential. Or at least the box was.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aye. MGS box was essentisl until Internet ruined it all
  • MGS2 ruined the internet though, so turnabout was fair play.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bwaha. MGS was the first metagame. Once you hit the end of the tanker section you had to grind for 20 hours on the game spot forum explaining why it was the worst game ever.
  • Raiden redeemed himself somewhat in Revengeance but was still a whiny bastard.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • MGS2 is actually a better game now than it was in 2001/2.

It runs at 60fps, butter smooth.
    It has environmental effects still rarely implemented in games (wind, droplets of rain, incidental touches like bugs around lights, destructible lights, cloth/material, slippery surfaces).
    Its plot really speaks to the plethora of nonsense circulating in the internet without filtering inanity.
    Its complete and polished to an absurd degree.

In hindsight, there is only one thing wrong with it: you don't get to fight all the Ray units. Oh, and they removed a small clip of the final section where Arsenal Gear rolls through a city.

Also, it knows the player well. In Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks, the first thing you do when you get the train is blow the whistle. Toot toot. In Sonic the Hedgehog and every platformed since, you go left at the start of certain levels. 

In MGS2, inside Arsenal Gear, you do a cartwheel with Raiden.
  • Haven't played a MGS game since that one on the OG-PS. What recent iteration should I start with?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • MGS2. Then 3. I'd recommend 3, but its better if you play 2 first. 

If you do go with MGS3, get the Subsistence version though.
  • Hang on...

The Phantom Pain is coming out on PS3?

I could have sworn that Ground Zeros was PS3/360 in a throw a dog a bone kinda way and that Phantom Pain was the real deal only possible on next-gen dogs bollocks type game?

Did that change recently or did I dream that up?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • No, I think it was always x-gen. Possibly due to offset costs of new engine?
  • Damn.

My reasons for getting a PS4 just keep getting shot down.

Uncharted has been delayed until 2016 and now this.

I don't think I can justify getting a new console solely for Batman this year.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm not sure what differences are across systems though. Ive been avoiding news as much as possible.
  • Vela wrote:
    No, I think it was always x-gen. Possibly due to offset costs of new engine?

Hang on again...

How does making this game for the old systems help them out here? PS3 and 360 system architectures were massively different weren't they? With the next gen being x86 doesn't it make more sense to just make it for those (essentially one development cost) instead of 3?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • fox engine is already on ps360 (pes 2014-5, ground zeroes). Larger user base = recoup some costs maybe?
  • I've seen some sales data for Ground Zeros, with PS4/XOne growing and PS3/360 software on a downward spiral it doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

It's probably more frustration on my part that PS4 still seems a bit pointless, to me at least.

I mean if one of the biggest and best games of this year is still being released on HW that came out 10 years ago it really isn't pushing the new HW is it.

I remember feeling the same about 360 until Gears of War came out, I'm still waiting for the equivalent eyebrow raising game for PS4/XOne.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Me too, rk. Me too. I think Ill cave anyway and just assume nintendo systems will be out of sync enough with new ps/xb systems to ameliorate the expense of transitions.
  • Smang wrote:
    i've heard the reasoning for her wearing it - but after she gets 'rescued' and taken to mother base i'd assume they might have a spare t shirt or a pair of trousers.  i expect its also explained that her invisibility thing doesn't make her clothes invisible or summat, hence. Either way Snake + Dog looks to be the top tier team

Lol well yes. I wonder what the pervy camera angle count on this game will be by the end.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Haven't played a MGS game since that one on the OG-PS. What recent iteration should I start with?

The chronology is a bit tricky, so it depends whether you want a good game to just give a go, or you want to start from the beginning...

If you're interested in chronology then start with 3 (which is amazeballs) and is fine to play via the PS3/360 HD collection. Then you can play the PSP games (optional), 5 (not out yet but it should fill the last gap there), metal gear 1&2 (playable on the HD collection), MGS1, 2 then, finally, 4.

However, if you just want a good game which doesn't require a load of lore knowledge then I'd go with MGS1, 2 or 3. You can't really go wrong with any of those but, I'd argue, you'll get more from 2 and 4 if you've played 1.
  • I think playing 1 goes without saying, exceedingly entertaining stuff. 2 became miserable when i realised you were playing as an infant on a big orange frame. 3 was awesome. 4 was just absolute gibberish and painful to watch much of the time. I have high hopes for 5 though, based on what ive seen and that little teaser mini section released not long ago it seems its going to be extremely gritty, and its about time a game about military combat such as mgs stopped looking like a cartoon about combat, not that i'll ever play it
  • Out of curiosity, what did you dislike about 4?
  • I'd argue that the PSPs Peace walker is as important for plot as any of the numbered ones. It bridges a fairly decent conclusion of 3 to the bonkers premise of 5

1, 2, 3 and PW are all on ps vita while you can play all of them on ps3.
  • Yeah, Peacewalker is tops and important, I just know that it may have been overlooked by many people and it's portable origins may not be for everyone, so...you know. But, it's definitely worth a gander.

Once 5 is out I'm planning to do a proper start-to-finish of the whole main series, including the PSP games (don't know if I'll bother with Acid! or DGN, though).
  • I just found all the characters.. just ridiculous, and thats when i start getting a massive distaste for a game, it wasnt quite as bad as ff13 but pretty bad
  • 4 is the game where the cutscenes definitely go on for a bit long and are a bit mental. I can't agree with anyones critisizm of the game itself though, its amazing to actually play for the 5+ hours of gameplay that there are. very replayable, could do with a chapter select type deal.

and if you're just starting out on MGS, you might as well play them in the the order they were made. if you play 3 before 2 there are a lot of references that you just won't get.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, Peacewalker is tops and important, I just know that it may have been overlooked by many people and it's portable origins may not be for everyone, so...you know. But, it's definitely worth a gander.

Once 5 is out I'm planning to do a proper start-to-finish of the whole main series, including the PSP games (don't know if I'll bother with Acid! or DGN, though).

I'm doing this at the minute. Have finished 1, and am on Twin Snakes. The comedy value of cutscenes in TS is exponential.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm doing this at the minute. Have finished 1, and am on Twin Snakes. The comedy value of cutscenes in TS is exponential.

KICK! so good. 

i need to finish peacewalker. it's the only one i haven't, but the boss fights really wore on me. they were so bad compared to previous games.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The grind in peace walker did my nut in but it's worth it for dat ending.
  • i dunno, i'd rather just youtube it tbh. the bosses were clearly designed for MP and i can't be arsed with it, not fun :(
  • I'd argue that the PSPs Peace walker is as important for plot as any of the numbered ones. It bridges a fairly decent conclusion of 3 to the bonkers premise of 5 1, 2, 3 and PW are all on ps vita while you can play all of them on ps3.
    Everything I've seen about MGSV looks like the sequel to PW. MGS3 & PW would probably be enough.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • there was quite a bit of story in Portable ops as well, maybe nothing massively impactful but it does show grey fox's origins as well as a bit of young Roy Campbell. the main antagonists are CIA i think, adding more fuel to the Militaires Sans Frontières.

the bosses were more traditional MGS style as opposed to those giant tanks. Argh i should finish peace walker.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!