PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Without trolling, I'd be really interested to know who is interested in this and why

Me. All the Fallouts appeal to me, but I've only played 3 and 4. Both remain uncompleted. I will not go to my grave without saving the wasteland at least once, dammit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Though I would have liked to see a Fallout reveal trailer that wasn't some old timey music over a slow pan out. If it ain't broke, I guess.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Not much to go on. Love the theme tune but this looks like the game is going to be like Vault City from F1, where the vault was totally normal and they came out and started trying to rebuild while fighting off the assorted wasteland baddies.

I'm expecting more settlement fuckries and even more action oriented gameplay.

The fallout fanboi within me cries and wishes he got a game where he played as a ghoul and the survival mechanics were shit like having to stay irradiated and not getting wet.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thank you for responses.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    ...a game where he played as a ghoul and the survival mechanics were shit like having to stay irradiated and not getting wet.

I would play the shit out of that. Super hardcore mode: you have to stay irradiated, but not too much. Overexposure turns you feral.
  • Fallout Dive.

My ideal Fallout game.

A world like F3, full of interesting side quests, characters and towns. 
    Blank slate character that you mould how you see fit, but with multiple starting points. So you can choose to be a ghoul and all that involves, or a vault dweller, or part of a raider gang etc. Ghouls have to balance radiation but aren't attacked by wildlife etc, Raiders can call in their gang to battle but are attacked often and by rival gangs etc etc.

The main quest is basically the same for all but with different outcomes guided by the motivations of your character.

So for example, the final mission could involve some kind of Nuclear plant, you can choose to blow it up further irradiating the waste land, utilise it's equipment to clean the local air and water, capture it and become rich off the power supply. The point is all those things would be considered good or bad depending on the type of character you are playing.

The journey would also be different. Vault Dwellers could enter towns happily but Ghouls would need a disguise and the cover of night. Raiders would get turned away but could overthrow the security and take control of the own. 

Fallout to me is about building a character from a blank avatar then using that character to influence the world around them, or indeed not if that is the way of your character.
    F4 lost that. It became your kid's story and you woke up to decide the final act.
  • From what I've seen of the first 2 Fallout games vs the modern games, they need a good main story with a character with motivations and philosophies that are actually well thought out. What I played of F3 was, on reflection, woeful. Having seen how it ends, it really doesn't stack up to the more thought through approach that the first 2 seemed to have taken. It's odd how Isometric RPGs just tend to do much better with their stories.

The new setting can mean one of two things - either they use it to explore some stuff that they haven't bothered with before, or they just spend the entire game setting up the universe We All Know And Love (TM), and the latter sounds tedious.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Is it still the same engine ffs?
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's odd how Isometric RPGs just tend to do much better with their stories.
    So true. For all their failings, Obsidian blow away Bethesda in terms of writing both characters and story arcs.

Fucking Bethesda.
  • What's Wasteland 2 like?
  • What's Wasteland 2 like?

Not very good. Isometric RPGs really have had their day, Kickstarter fanboyism aside.

The naming convention here is clearly deliberate.  76 signifies that this is Fallout, but not as we know it. And whatever it turns out to be, it won't be a classic single player rpg experience, like those that have gone before.  The teaser talks of rebuilding thing's, so I predict some sort of tower defence thing. They were buoyed by the success of Fallout Shelter and now want to do something grander.

According to the lore, Vault 76 was a control vault. Nothing bad happened there.  So you won't be waking up after 200 years of enforced cryogenic sleep and trying to find your son. It'll be a base building game with multiplayer elements where you'll be tasked to keep the Deathclaw from your door.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • There's a Kotaku article on what is known.
    Kotaku wrote:
    But Fallout 76 is in fact an online survival RPG that’s heavily inspired by games like DayZ and Rust, according to three people familiar with the project.
  • Tempy wrote:
    There's a Kotaku article on what is known.
    Kotaku wrote:
    But Fallout 76 is in fact an online survival RPG that’s heavily inspired by games like DayZ and Rust, according to three people familiar with the project.

And that’s me out.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sounds promising to be fair. It's about time a AAA dev took up the mantle of these indie games, let's see what's possible with proper funding.
  • I am not sure Bethesda are the people I want behind something like this really.
  • All the performance issues of a survival asset flip multiplied by Bethesda.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I am not sure Bethesda are the people I want behind something like this really.

Who do you want behind it?
  • Sounds promising to be fair.

No it doesn't. It sounds bloody awful. Fallout goes back 20 years, and has always been about getting lost in a single player wasteland.  To toss that away and replace it with multiplayer mode is bizarre, and runs contrary to the entire legacy of the Lone Wanderer. And this from a devco that championed single player games in a recent ad campaign!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's not Fallout 5.
  • Yeah, doesn't sound like something I'll have the slightest interest in but there's nothing wrong with setting new things in the same world.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I am not sure Bethesda are the people I want behind something like this really.

Who do you want behind it?

I dunno, but probably a dev that’s more capable. Bethesda are known for quite unstable builds at launch, that could murder a persistent game. Plus people are used to paying £20 for these games as they evolve over years. If they ask for more up front, people will expect more up front. I’m not quite convinced, it seems an ill fit. Good in concept, I guess. Execution remains to be seen of course.
  • I know. But if they want to try a battle royale or base building bunkum pick another franchise or do it with a new IP.  I let them have Fallout Shelter because that was a fun little disposable mobile game. This appears to be a full price release and is going to fuck over the Fallout franchise completely.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    All your favourite Fallouts are still there what does it matter if they're using the Fallout name. This is almost as bad as people moaning about film remakes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They'd get shit for treading the same ground, but try something different and it's RiP Fallout. Tough crowd.
  • The disappointment for myself is that time and money are being spent on this rather than an SP game.
    The amount of quality AAA SP games being released is falling and Fallout has been a safe haven in the past and a series I have enjoyed.

No doubt there will be a Fallout 5 that plays like 4 but it will be a longer wait now.

At least EA don't publish them mind, if 76 failed they would can the whole IP.
  • All that being said, I will keep an eye on it. If they keep the role-playing quite open it could be interesting.
    If I can choose to be a travelling Ghoul slaver or a gunsmith etc it might be cool. If it is just busy work collecting materials followed by Fallout's less than stellar shooting then nope.
  • Yeah, that kind of sums up my feelings too.  I get precious about Fallout because it is one of the last bastions of single player gameplay.  Dunno where I'll go if even Bethesda start turning their back on epic immersive rpgs.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    To ones with better gameplay?
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    What's Wasteland 2 like?
    Not very good. Isometric RPGs really have had their day, Kickstarter fanboyism aside.
    Dead in the mass market, for sure. Too many people sucked along by different, more accessible, less wordy styles. Skyrim really being the King Culprit of that, for all the good stuff it does.

Isometric RPGs are having a deserved resurgence, thank Bhaal.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Yeah, that kind of sums up my feelings too.  I get precious about Fallout because it is one of the last bastions of single player gameplay.  Dunno where I'll go if even Bethesda start turning their back on epic immersive rpgs.

I get the feeling, Blocks, that this is more of small side project rather than something that requires all hands on deck. Elder Scrolls fans already have Online if they want to play something a little more sociable, and now Fallout fans have 76. I’m still feeling very confident that we’ll be playing Bethesda’s new singe-player behemoth before we’re putting up our Christmas trees this year.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!