Just given up on...
‹ Previous123
  • Dark Souls.  Yeah you heard me, Dark Souls.  I know you're supposed to learn something from every untimely death.  Get butchered by bosses as part of the process of studying their attack patterns.  Revel in the nihilism of it all.  But it's the sheer bloody-mindedness of those repeated bonfire restarts that's killing it for me.

I didn't go into it  blind.  I'd heard the stories here and elsewhere.  Forewarned and forearmed when approaching its difficulty curve.  And I can appreciate the impressive heft it delivers in the third-person combat arena.  But I figure it's not what I play RPGs for.  Exploration is squeezed along tight corridors.  Character development feels hollow when set against the slog of its relentless death-march.  And I find the lack of a musical score frightfully dull and unpleasantly jarring in equal measure.

I can understand the revered status that some hold this game in.  It's a action-RPG with no equal in terms of the punishment it dishes out to its players.  Perhaps I should've consulted that FAQ that advised newbies to start off as a Pyromancer.  My bad.    But maybe I don't want to play a game that dolls out death like it's going out of fashion   Maybe I just wanna keep on making those same mistakes, not have to learn from them, and just try to have some 'fun' along the way.  To that end, screw you DS, I'm off to play some Fable 2.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Facewon to thread in 5, 4, 3...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What bit were you stuck on?
  • None in particular.  Maybe the Titanium demon was giving me some gip.  But then I ran past him to get walloped by some tree people instead.  It's its central mechanic I take issue with:  Death as a constant.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You lose nowt when you die though, especially as you can recover your souls if you reach the place you died.

Death in Dark Souls is different to other games, it can come from the weakest of enemies if you're not careful. You mention Fable 2, but death in that is meaningless. I'd rather have death handled in the manner of Dark Souls over instant restarts any day.

Instead of giving up you should try posting in the thread, you'd get advice and in game assistance from someone I'm sure.
  • Yeah, do that. post and ask questions. You've only just gotten to the bit where you can really try stuff out.

It may well not be to everyone's taste first up, and there's certainly a limit to the "you haven't given it enough of a chance.." argument, but that parish bonfire is the beginning of the game proper really, and a few upgrades to your weapons and armor, and everything would be easier. (And that tite demon doesn't respawn, btw.)

Your class doesn't matter a jot, really, that early on. you can mould any class into whatever you want.

failing that, are you on my firends list (if you're playing on 360), I can help.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • it is entirely appropriate that DS is the first game in this thread, mind.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    and if your on ps3 il help you out as and when you need me.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I gave up on Dota 2 earlier in the week. The game really needs a tutorial.
  • The Witcher 2, it's pretty well made but I just find it terminally boring. Wish I hadn't spent so much money on it.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • I was prepared to cut it some slack because of its RPG heritage, but I can fully sympathise with your decision.  I made it to the end, but not without considerable teeth gnashing.
  • Skyrim, 4 restarts and I just can't be bothered. I get to the monks then think, 'ok my epic journey starts here' and I look over the horizon and think 'that's a really long way' so of I trudge and then a bear/wolf/dragon/ghosty thing etc etc turn up we exchange blows and I just can't be arsed. I really want to like it, I really enjoyed oblivion but I just can't get started in this. I think it needed more Patrick Picard.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dark Souls has killed Skyrim. It's the combat, exchanging blows is a great way to describe it. The hand to hand combat in Skyrim is no more advanced than that of Minecraft.
  • My first attempt was straight of the back of dark souls and I just couldn't forgive the combat in skyrim so I thought ok, I'll give it a while to get dark souls out of muscle memory and I realise its stat driven so not really about reactions and timing and it's going to different but I just can't get into it.
  • +1.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yup, try as I might I can't slip back into my 20 hour save, especially with Demon's on the go. I got vampirism or summat last time I booted it up, I just thought 'Fuck This' and turned it off.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You lot suck! :)
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I would've if I hadn't turned it o...

Yeah, that's weak.
  • Gave up on Skyrim a long time ago, the combat was way too shit to be bothering with. Now I think the Witcher is going on hold for a long time.

Flotsam and the surrounding area was amazing, I was lapping up the world and every sidequest. Now I've got to the second city, everything's more disjointed and not as pretty. The quest that's killed it involves going in to a Dwarven crypt. It's highly reminicent of The Catacombs in Dark Souls - but no where near as well designed, atmospheric, or ultimately fun. The game might get one more rinse before Dragon's Dogma, but I feel done with it right now.
  • I don't give up on games. I put them aside and move on the game i've usually borrowed off my brother. 

Sometimes I'll go back to them for a bit. For me - its getting the time to play them all than anything else. 

Last game I got to the stage of not being bothered with is any game where the save points are rubbish. 

I don't see in this day and age why you can't save right now. At this point. And then restart from exactly the same place.  Not with the tech that is available.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Blocks, Dark Souls on 360? Fancy selling it?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I'll probably begrudgingly go back to it some day...so I'll have to decline.  But with this and the Diablo 3 debacle, I dunno where I'm going to get my action-rpg fix from!
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Haha! You'll find there are people from here who'd happily lend you a hand. I believe private chat works too.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I think the combat is fine in Skyrim, one of ny favourite aspects of the game actually. Haven't tried Dark Souls - looks a bit OTT for me.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    I Haven't tried Dark Souls

you should.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • daviedigi wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    I Haven't tried Dark Souls

you should.

I will definitely check it out at some point. Need to finish Skyrim first which is taking forever.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sensible. Dark Souls is something that consumes you. Look what it did to Face.
  • Haha. I need to play it just from reading you guys feedback. Is it really that difficult though? And is the whole thing online ie the enemy being another player rather than CPU AI?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Majority of the game is against the AI enemies (who are still majorly brutal). You don't really lose out on anything playing the entire game offline but some of my best experiences have been against a human opponent invading my game and trying to fuck my shit up. DS has such a unique multiplayer way of doing things you need to try it at least a few times, I think.

It's difficult in that it punishes carelessness and headstrong natures. It's about getting used to enemy attack patterns and to how your favoured weapons perform.
  • Yeah, it's not that difficult. It also doesn't actually punish you as harshly as other games, tbh. Yes, enemies respawn, but you can go and get money you've lost back, and you don't lose stuff you've picked up. As far as online goes, it's worth remembering that it's a two way street. Getting in a buddy to help with areas can make things much easier. It's not all invasions by ott enemies.
  • Tomb Raider Rise Of - cause im bored stupid with it
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!