PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Looks like the console version has been patched: Linky. Might start it tonight :)

Still doesn't quite read like they've definitely fixed everything.

Has the Plus discount ended?  It looked full price when I checked earlier :-(
  • Not sure what it was like before, but I just played the first an hour and it hangs a bit now and then.  Nothing drastic, but probably not a full fix.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Spoiler:

More of this kind of thing.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Late to the convo but I really liked it! The ending in particular was a highlight as Dee brushes me off asking her back to Boulder. The way they must think about each other ends up really neat in an organic, up in the air fashion unlike typical relationships in stories with arcs and mappable endings. Only real complaint is there's too much copypasta animation rock climbing in certain parts (the way they use them to conceal certain geographic features till the last moment is a bit overdone) and it's an annoyance to the flow in places like the cave.

Agree that if the resources matched the ambition, it really should have been longer. If it meant getting a longer game I'd say the format would have made it a great episodic title.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This years EGX Rezzed (the Friday session) has two of the guys from Campo Santo talking about how they made the art and got the feel for Wyoming even though they worked at home from the UK.

• I started this properly today, up to day 3.  The visuals are a spluttering mess, frankly.  I dread to think what it was like pre-patch.  Foliage is popping in all over the place like I'm running through a Halo 2 cutscene, and the game stutters and snags numerous times per minute.  I'm trying not to sound whiny, but it's immersion breaking.  I don't get the logic behind stuff like this; if the visuals push the engine past its limits why not simplify them for a more streamlined experience?  I'm enjoying it, but it's hard to ignore the annoyances.  30fps is fine for a single player first person story/explore-athon, but it needs to be constant.
  • The fidelity is dropped massively from the PC version already. Campo Santo say it might be to do with DevKit PS4s and Unity because they didn't experience it during testing. Same thing happened to BroForce too. Who knows how mucht of that is DevSpiel.
  • It seems bizarre they never tried a real version on ps4 but the schedule feels like it was tight so who knows.
  • I don't seem to remember that much stuttering on my ps4 playthrough and I'm usually a stickler for it. Maybe it was there and I didn't care. I quite liked it. Will read that article about the ending though.
  • Really good to see Firewatch sell so well. Source
    Here is to more Camp Santo!!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    Oops. Double post, thought the forum ate this one.
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    I was bemused by the slating the PS4 version got. The occasional, minor judder was hardly a distraction from the compelling, engrossing story. Complaints of slowdown breaking the game felt to me very princess and the pea.

Anyhoo, absolutely loved this, however the story felt a little rushed. Having the first note of unease on the very first night did not feel right to me. I would have preferred to become comfortable with the surroundings, before introducing a sinister incident, rather than the other way around. I think I would have also liked the incident with the girls to have been isolated from the main story, existing as a way to develop the relationship between Henry and Delilah.

Enough being a negative ninny.  The introduction was a nice wee bit of storytelling, and a cracking way to establish the lead character.  The strength of the game was in the relationship between H and D, and that was absolutely made by a solid script and natural delivery. I believed in the chemistry they had. I also felt that the text used to describe the various dialogue options was a more reliable indicator of what Henry would go on to say than in any other game with similar dialogue trees.

The game was also gorgeous. Unlike the supposedly good-looking EGttR, where the scenery was insufficiently attractive to warrant dawdling, in Firwatch I walked everywhere at a leisurely place, drinking my surroundings and the joyous differences that the time of day made to the colour and quality of light.

More of this sort of thing.
  • The princess and the pea, bizarrely, is about someone proving how wonderful they are by complaining about minor irritations.
  • Oddly, this has the fans blowing like mental on PC.
  • Hey, adkm's back! Hello.
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    Salutations.
  • I like it when people come back. Feels like the home it is.
  • the juddering was annoying and the game good enough to be carried. The 1st Person view and the whole idea YOU are meant to be washed under this orange haze gets smashed every time your eyes stutter. It breaks any illusion of reality which is what I think the game is trying to convey.

The game is stripped of everything but being in there, and loading just wobbles one off a tightrope.
  • I have a shite PC so play most games with some kind of dysfunction to their graphics settings. Rarely bothers me. I think Firewatch was dipping under 30 at points, noticeable, but not annoying or enough to break the illusion.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I have a shite PC so play most games with some kind of dysfunction to their graphics settings. Rarely bothers me. I think Firewatch was dipping under 30 at points, noticeable, but not annoying or enough to break the illusion.

I have a card - what CPU have you got?
  • Been playing this again. In a sea of pretty games, it really is gorgeous. The walking around is nice for the views and the radio dialogue becomes the prize for your efforts. It's a lovely mechanic. Putting it on a big TV via Steam Link and grabbing a beer so best.

I normally play streamed games via the Steam Controller and now find the Xpad painfully slow for looking about, but the gentleness of this game suits the Xpad just fine.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    ARe you rating steamlink and the controlelr then?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not read the thread due to spoilers, but is the consensus to get this on PC rather than PS4, someone mentioned sticking framerate?
  • beano wrote:
    ARe you rating steamlink and the controlelr then?

Yeah, although I use power lines and I'm
    not sure what it'd be like wireless.

The controller is wonderful and awful. I'm currently playing Portal 2 with it and it's sublime. The button placements though are horrid, and any game that requires any fast sequence of presses is not going to be good. It helps that you can map things to the paddles underneath. Some games just don't work and it's hard to know until you play the individual game. Having said that the community comes up with all sorts of configurations that can be changed on the fly but it takes time to tinker, although Steam will save any configurations you prefer on a game by game basis.
  • Finished this.  I'm not sure what I expected other than liking the setting and hoping it was good, I read very little about it but somehow put in in the day one purchase category.  I don't think I've played anything quite like it and I was quite taken with it.  Performance issue aside (seriously?  Even the credits scroll snags occasionally) I loved it.
    Spoiler:
  • Finished, loved it.
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!