The British Politics Thread
  • Tempy wrote:
    Keep getting some gobshite comedian called Lee Hurst retweeted into my timeline telling me it'll be ok now because he lives before mobile phones and the internet and joining the EU (he was 10 when we joined) and it was great. He might have a point, before the internet I would never have had to see his puckered arse mouth whilst eating.

He had an amazing twitter run about 2 months ago about tying a bomb to a baby. He's a slapdomed hills have eyes Greg Wallace with cancer fuckwit of a man.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Ahahaha, that is quite some description. I remember the bomb strapped to the baby too, that was some sub-trolley-problem level bullshit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Assuming it does embolden other nations, then I really do wonder what happens in situations like e-On having the contract for Hinkley Point, or the massive brown coal plant that Germany recently built in Poland

Also the war thing, I doubt we'll see countries wanting to leave NATO or the UN which is far more likely to be a contributory factor to the lack of declarations of war in the last few decades

Euro timeline
    195? - Germany, France, Italy, Benelux
    1973/4 - Uk, Ireland, Denmark
    1980s - Greece, Spain, Portugal
    1992/3 - Maastricht treaty
    1990s - Sweden, Finland, Austria
    2000s - 12 new countries

I genuinely think that with the misgivings held by the people and government prior to Maastricht, that if it was known that it would more than double in around 15 years, we might well have not signed off on it in the first place

Not saying that makes it a valid reason to leave it now, but given that it's an economic area, the massive differences in wages, costs etc across the "common" area make central control a very difficult job, what's best for Sweden isn't necessarily best for Italy, I'm intrigued to know how those decisions are made, to whose benefit, and was anything ever done to attempt to mitigate the massive movement of people to address of greater pay, or was that a desired side effect, did certain industrialised countries require an influx of semi skilled cheap labor to keep their factories running

I don't know, but equally I don't know what the future of the union holds either, what I do know is in or out, we're going to get fucked either way. If the politicians tell us it's a recession then even if people are doing fine, the giant supermarkets will make sure we feel the pinch anyway. I recall when minimum wage came in, all the groceries suddenly went up
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    He had an amazing twitter run about 2 months ago about tying a bomb to a baby. He's a slapdomed hills have eyes Greg Wallace with cancer fuckwit of a man.

Hahaha, recall that, one if you guys must've pointed me there, was top tier mongland

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    'Terror Nut Was A Benefits Cheat' headline in the Star today.

Work was thin on the ground after The Really Wild Sharif.
  • 4357.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=1f21fc387b1cdb42e133629364c2e99f

I was a big fan of Adrian Edmondson, but this new character is beyond the pale.
  • There's no way the Eddie Hitler tests can be passed. No settlement fees, no transitional arrangements, recovering £9bn from the European investment bank, no ongoing negotiations beyond 2019. They're just prepping their platform for the 2020 election. "Things are shit because Brexit wasn't hard enough."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brexectile dysfunction.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Guys I think Labour is poised to come back strong in Scotland. Look at this fucking video

https://twitter.com/braidenht/status/846694655450398720

Someone who previously did no scopes for sure
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Guys I think Labour is poised to come back strong in Scotland. Look at this fucking video

https://twitter.com/braidenht/status/846694655450398720

Someone who previously did no scopes for sure

Ah well, that's the SNP fucked.......
  • I hope this time there's a None Of The Above option.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Quick show of hands, because it's hard to work out from out usual chorus of bleating...

Are you happy with the general election call?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Have... have you read the current affairs thread?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'd personally be happier if it was slated for later this year...

Right now just feels like a shit time to do it. 

There's just too much noise in the media with Trump being an arse as it is. Not sure when negotiations with the EU are due to start, but this won't make the UK look too smart either, will it?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Have... have you read the current affairs thread?

Yeah. But... but...
  • EU negotiations are set for 2 years so in that regards if we have to have a GE the sooner the GE the better as to not interfere.
  • I'd quite like them to be interfered with to be honest.
  • Fiver says at next pmq's an SNP mp asks may to agree that brexit is the most important thing happening just now, and does the prime minister not then also agree that 'now is not the time' for a general election?

Then it'll get made into a 'thug life' vine and numpties like me will share it on Facebook.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    SNP can fuck off, just as bad as UKIP, one policy party trading on emotion, popularity and stirring up fervour so as to self serve

Using the same definitions of hypocrisy how can Brexit be bad but independence be good? (from a Scottish point of view, I can see the benefits to the British taxpayer of Scotland leaving the Union)
  • I'd quite like them to be interfered with to be honest.

It wouldn't ever be in our favour.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Fiver says at next pmq's an SNP mp asks may to agree that brexit is the most important thing happening just now, and does the prime minister not then also agree that 'now is not the time' for a general election?

Then it'll get made into a 'thug life' vine and numpties like me will share it on Facebook.

A good thug life vid always goes down well. Big up the mosh pit thug.

• cockbeard wrote:
    SNP can fuck off, just as bad as UKIP, one policy party trading on emotion, popularity and stirring up fervour so as to self serve

Using the same definitions of hypocrisy how can Brexit be bad but independence be good? (from a Scottish point of view, I can see the benefits to the British taxpayer of Scotland leaving the Union)

Just as bad as ukip.

I often thought folk on this forum were a bit harsh on you, now I get it.

Are you fucking insane?

And if the rest of Britain would be so better off without us, why do they try so hard to keep us?
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    And if the rest of Britain would be so better off without us, why do they try so hard to keep us?
    cos we can't afford another wall... ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Is it possible that a party could say that they will overturn brexit if the voters help them win the election?

Would be turmoil if the Conservatives lost unfortunately there is a lame duck in charge at labour.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    cos we can't afford another wall... ;)

Haha, just do a trump and get us to pay for it.

BTW, if that's the price of independence, I'll be there tomorrow with bricks and cement. Just tell me how high you want it .......
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Is it possible that a party could say that they will overturn brexit if the voters help them win the election.

Lib Dems.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    What's the difference between the two parties?

Am I insane, sometimes maybe a little yes. I didn't say I wanted Scotland to leave, hell most of Scotland doesn't want Scotland to leave, I said I understand how the British taxpayer would be happy about it. Spending in Scotland is higher per capita than in England, things like free higher education and free healthcare can cause jealousy and resentment in areas where these items aren't free, as people living there will feel that they are subsiding a service that they aren't entitled to themselves

Maybe it's just crappy reporting down here south of the border, but I've not heard Sturgeon or Salmond talk at length or with any direction about any policy other than Scottish Independence. Which would be fine if either of them even seemed to have looked further than immortalising themselves as a 21st century Robert the Bruce. I genuinely have no idea how they think they will help the actual people of Scotland, seems like a quest for personal glory to me

That isn't to say that politicians south of the border are any different, I've long complained about the death of public service and the extinction of public servants. Parliaments (almost everywhere) are full of dickheads who smile prettily when they take their faces out of the trough long enough to pay lip service to the people they're supposed to serve. The belief that they will be granted immediate access to the EU (Salmond) or evebn fast-tracked (Sturgeon) is ridiculous and was clearly made before even speaking to anyone within Brussels. It smells amateur and serves to reinforce my belief that the aim is not the betterment of life for those in Scotland but a more selfish one
  • You're aware that in Scotland the snp are the leading party in their parliament? Do you think they run it talking about independence all day?!
  • I pretty much just want Scotland to say a big constitutional fuck you to England now for being a bunch of mad dickheads. Hurt us good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!