The British Politics Thread
  • I saw Liz Kendall on this week the other day. Previously that role was held by Diane abbott - so maybe they give the job to a relative crank (as in the opposite view to the current leader) in the party.
  • Sorry, what role are you referring to?
  • Labour person on this week. The Andrew neil thing. The Tory is Michael portillo.
  • Right. So it's a show called This Week then.

Could we instead fire her into the sun?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Alan Johnson can stay there. He occupies much of the same political space as Ken Clarke; he's no place in a returned left-wing party. I've read Corbyn-haters state that they would've considered voting for him.

I can't be arsed to find what I wrote about Corbyn a year or two back, but my main two points are newly redundant:

— I always said that the public don't pay attention to politics until the weeks leading up to an election, but as a result of left-wing engagement there are positive signs that that's changing.

— I warned against Corbyn appearing on TV until the campaign began, because out-of-context quotes were a matter of routine for our Press; the BBC, too. We've since learned that they're not as powerful as we feared, licensing Corbyn to keep Labour's hammer down.

Corbyn's served his purpose at this point, but he needs to stay on for as long as he's popular with his supporters, because he's still the only surety against the PLP. Once Labour have an established left-wing presence on their front bench again, he can retire.
  • Why the fuck is it going to take 6 months to decide if Murdoch can take over Sky.

Given the amount of upheld complaints against Murdoch's empire and their nature it should be a chuckle followed by "good one, now fuck off".
  • They're hoping he will die in the interim.
  • Mps voted to keep the 1% pay freeze for public sector. So after saying how amazing and valuable the NHS, fire, police etc are after these recent incidents, they still don't actually reward them with better pay.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • By 12 votes, so a fair chunk didn't.
  • n0face wrote:
    By 12 votes, so a fair chunk didn't.

True, but still it should be a fricken landslide. Especially on the back of the £1 billion to DUP, it's just unbelievable
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Mps voted to keep the 1% pay freeze for public sector. So after saying how amazing and valuable the NHS, fire, police etc are after these recent incidents, they still don't actually reward them with better pay.

That's super fucked up.

Can't believe public service workers have not had a pay rise for close to 10 years.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • There's no magic money tree I'm afraid*

*Please note, existence of magic money tree may vary depending upon who requires money and how it suits the government to provide it.
  • Hammond just announced NI abortions will be funded in England. More magic money tree, this time to avoid an embarrassing lose/lose amendment vote.
  • Hammond just announced NI abortions will be funded in England. More magic money tree, this time to avoid an embarrassing lose/lose amendment vote.

Could be win/win, if you're going glass half-full.

They don't compromise their "ethics".
    We pay to prevent Christians from breeding.

£1b well spent.
  • This will be on top of the billion.

I am all for women having access to safe abortions but this went through to avoid another flip flopping u turning shitfest at Tory HQ.
  • I'm not one to slam something because of who proposed it.

The tories have been hypocritical cunts.
    Access to abortions is good and should be funded.

I'm not angry about this.
    I'm, as usual, not shocked by the rank double-speak and shameless party politics, though, even though I find the whole current situation pathetic.
  • How much more stuff can we squeeze out of the Tories then?
  • Look, we'd love to pay them more, but there is no magic money tree.

"Except the one in Northern Ireland of course."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Corbyn's apparently whipping the Labour Party to abstain from an Umunna-proposed amendment to the Queen's Speech committing the government to stay in the single market.

*sigh*
  • I'm not one to slam something because of who proposed it.

The tories have been hypocritical cunts.
    Access to abortions is good and should be funded.

I'm not angry about this.
    I'm, as usual, not shocked by the rank double-speak and shameless party politics, though, even though I find the whole current situation pathetic.

I think method does matter a lot. I'm not angry that NI will have some much needed investment in infrastructure. I'm furious as to how they are getting it.

Have I misunderstood that these are abortions that women from NI coming to England would have had to pay for previously? They aren't actually widening the criteria of who should be allowed an abortion in NI, are they?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Corbyn's apparently whipping the Labour Party to abstain from an Umunna-proposed amendment to the Queen's Speech committing the government to stay in the single market. *sigh*
    What exactly did he expect?
    Have I misunderstood that these are abortions that women from NI coming to England would have had to pay for previously? They aren't actually widening the criteria of who should be allowed an abortion in NI, are they?

Nope, that remains a devolved matter, and judges recently deferred the matter to the non existent devolved administration to legislate on. So nothing changes there. All that's happened is we no longer charge women from NI when they come to England, which frankly was a ludicrous situation to begin with.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Corbyn's apparently whipping the Labour Party to abstain from an Umunna-proposed amendment to the Queen's Speech committing the government to stay in the single market. *sigh*

A free vote?
  • Four shadow cabinet sackings and resignations from Labour over that pointless bit of nonsense then. Umuna is right but there was no point pursuing this and undermining Labour now when they've got the Tories on the rack.
  • Leadership innit, need to show em who's boss.
  • Gosh, Jeremy Corbyn as boss. It just makes my pussy wet thinking what the new labour guys make of that.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    A free vote?

Are you insane? That would never have happened in a million years. The only way this vote would have worked is through the leadership. And they wouldn't do that because it's a road to nowhere. 

I've literally no idea why he thought this was a good idea.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    A free vote?

Are you insane? That would never have happened in a million years. The only way this vote would have worked is through the leadership. And they wouldn't do that because it's a road to nowhere. 

I've literally no idea why he thought this was a good idea.

Brexit's insane, leaving the single market is insane, most Labour MPs and, at last count, most Labour supporters know this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!