The British Politics Thread
  • legaldinho wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/975038754116259840 I don't think it's "OK", because it puts across a specific message that I think they shouldn't so readily entertain, but I also don't think it's as malicious as people are making it out to be. I thought Stanton's take on it was fairly decent but misses the fact that most people are going to look at it and go "that Commie Corbyn"
    This isn't a go at you mate, just quoting you because you linked it: her reasoning is total fucking bollocks. I don't care if they just adjusted contrast, the intention and impact is the same.
    Lol at "the agitator's" tweet immediately after the producer's assertion that they didn't Photoshop the picture.

Ahaha! I hadn't bothered to scroll further than her initial few responses. Fuck the lot of them.
  • This morning, coordinated smear campaign (from the blairite left) vs Corbyn. Given pride of place by the guardian. Wes Streeting and John Mann's Twitter, a retweet every 2 minutes. It's shameful to use a real problem (anti-Semitism) in this way. It actually is likely to result in more generalisations, more pigeonholing, among the left.

Lol @ the guardian begging me for money every other click.
  • It did strike me as especially forced even by the usual smearing standards.

It just seems like such a blatant attempt to get rid of people they don't like using the tactic that anyone who disagrees with the accusation is themselves liable for labelling as an antisemite.

It's a rather devious mechanism, whoever first thought of it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Must nearly be time for the biennial leadership challenge, surely?
  • d'Ancona can fuck off as well. He looks like Dec after Ant has run him over in a drunken haze.
  • Roujin wrote:
    It did strike me as especially forced even by the usual smearing standards.

It just seems like such a blatant attempt to get rid of people they don't like using the tactic that anyone who disagrees with the accusation is themselves liable for labelling as an antisemite.

It's a rather devious mechanism, whoever first thought of it.

They are shit scared that if momentum from the general carries to the locals, Corbo I'll get a tremendous result, their lackeys in the PLP will fall further into line some will be deselected as an example to others,and that'll be game over. Meanwhile, the next step is government, a disaster for th guardian editor class and the Streeting and Mann's of this world.

• Deselections are a weird obsession of these losers. Frankly it's not worth the hassle to try and do it, so they're safe.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    The next step is government, a disaster for th guardian editor class

Eh?
  • I heard Corbyn hates Jews now and is worse than ten Hitlers. Get rid.
  • Seems like you can't be pro Palestine these days without being antisemitic.
  • Corbyn? Haven't seen or heard of him in months. I assumed we'd got rid of him already?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I think he’s clearly anti-Zionist but won’t say so directly which does make him look shifty. Not sure what this mural comment is about. He’s just a anti-Zionist knee jerker so probably didn’t think too hard about it before posting some guff. Agree with oxno that this is a smear job, this stuff has been around years.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Seems like you can't be pro Palestine these days without being antisemitic.

I don’t think it’s quite that straightforward. There are certainly antisemites who latch onto criticism of Israel as a cover for antisemitism, while there are some who genuinely support Palestine but who conflate Judaism with Zionism and the state of Israel.

It’s certainly possible to be pro-Palestine without being an antisemite, but it’s a subject which has to be approached with a delicacy which is sometimes lacking, especially from people on the left.

None of the above is directed at JC, BTW.

Edit: There are, of course, also those who will try to conflate any criticism of Israel with antisemitism too.
  • This is the full statement from Jewish Voice for Labour, part of which is quoted in The Guardian.
    We are Jews in the Labour Party currently actively campaigning for Labour in local elections. We are appalled by the actions and statements of the Board of Deputies. They do not represent us or the great majority of Jews in the Party who share Jeremy Corbyn’s vision for social justice and fairness. Jeremy’s consistent commitment to anti-racism is all the more needed now.

As the British people call time on May and the Tories, they are getting more desperate. There is massively more antisemitism on the right of politics than on the left. Any organisation claiming to represent Jews in the Labour Party should be holding up for criticism, the senior ex adviser to the Prime Minister who recently used a national newspaper to dredge up antisemitic conspiracy theories, and the local Conservative party which issued a dogwhistle leaflet aiming to mobilise racism in their local election campaign. The Board of Deputies and the Jewish Leadership Council have been silent on both. They have nothing to say either on the global rise of the far right and the toxic anti-immigrant rhetoric of the tabloid press. Jewish history surely gives us an imperative to speak out against both racism and fascism.

The BoD and the JLC and those supporting them must be aware that this is an attempt to influence local elections and has nothing to do with the real and necessary task of challenging racism and antisemitism at all levels of political life. We call on them to stop playing party politics and start representing what our community needs. We believe that is best represented by the politics we fight for and hope to see win on May 3rd.
  • If you were ever in doubt that some in the Labour Party are using the Labour antisemitism story to attack Corbyn, John Woodcock MP has attacked Corbyn for attending a Passover event with the wrong kind of Jews.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think anyone ever doubted it, TBH.
  • Yeah that was especially chefkissesfingers. Ohnoes the Jews that are critical of Israeli State occupation tactics!!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    If you were ever in doubt that some in the Labour Party are using the Labour antisemitism story to attack Corbyn, John Woodcock MP has attacked Corbyn for attending a Passover event with the wrong kind of Jews.

Source?

Because this story is getting ridiculous.
    I thought the whole Ken Livingstone episode was unfair enough as it stood.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Wes Streeting too. I'm gonna have a wee celebratory tipple when that one gets deselected.
  • So apparently the founder of LoveFilm is wanting to create this new 'centre' party, with £50 million of funding.

That's one way to waste a fortune I guess.
  • They’d get fantastic press from all the people who want to make sure the newly left wing Labour stay out of power.
  • More fudgy fucking centrists, just what we need.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    These things keep coming up, they never go anywhere.
  • So apparently the founder of LoveFilm is wanting to create this new 'centre' party, with £50 million of funding.

That's one way to waste a fortune I guess.

He’s already proved a dab hand at obsolete content delivery so why the hell not.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I mean, they're both privileged bellends, but hearing them speak and considering their respective roles and profiles, can't the Johnson brothers just swap round, or something?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • So Jeremy Hunt bought a load of flats which he failed to declare on the MP’s register of interests. He also failed to declare to Companies House that he owned the company used to buy them. But even though he’s been caught, and the offence usually carries an average of two years jail time, he’s alright because he apologised and his ‘spokesperson’ issued a statement saying that “no personal gain was involved”. Fucking old boys network, eh?
  • No personal gain? From owning a company that owns loads of flats? What a crock of shit.
  • What a hunt.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!