The British Politics Thread
  • Roujin wrote:
    What a hunt.

Yep. Utter hunt.
  • As I type it looks as though Cons are soaking up all the dropped UKIP votes and are running away with things in terms of % gains.
    Ukip utterly fucked now, they don't even have councilors in these elections as it stands.
  • Disappointing, but not surprising.
  • I live in Trafford which has always been a spot of blue in the red sea of Greater Manchester and the Tories northern flagship seat. It's just turned red this morning and I am over the moon.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Nice to hear about small pockets of sanity.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's the Kensington result that's shocking. I don't know what that says about us, the voting public.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That basically nothing has changed since the GE.
  • Maybe it says something about the posh folk who live around there? I mean, if Grenfell Tower was a demographic outlier full of not-wealthy residents, who have all been displaced and no longer have votes there …
  • There are 2 big problems.

1. Tory voters turn out in these elections, whilst Labour voters don't.

2. Brexit is hanging over everything still. The UKIP vote appears to have gone mostly to the Tories. However despite UKIP losing 100 Councillors so far, the Tories are on a net of zero.

So far, it's about who has won what where. The Tories gains are Barnet, Basildon and Peterborough. Barnet the Tories gained seats from Labour because of this anti-semitism shite. Basildon, Tories gained 4 seats and Labour 3, but this was enough to go from NOC to Tory gain. Peterbrough was incredibly slight, a single seat gain for the Tories saw them win the council.

Of what Labour has lost, Derby actually saw a UKIP gain as well as 2 Tory, though they are still the largest party.Nuneaton is the only big loss, losing 8 seats with the Tories gaining 8, although agin, Labour remain the largest party - just.

Edit- since I started this there have been more announced. UKIP down 106, Tories now gained 6.
  • Some UKIP fanny on the Today programme this morning compared his party to the black death.  Classy.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Some UKIP fanny on the Today programme this morning compared his party to the black death.  Classy.
    That was brilliant. Refused to disavow the statement after as well.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Some UKIP fanny on the Today programme this morning compared his party to the black death.  Classy.

Too soon.
  • He can say what he likes I guess, UKIP are finished.
  • Everything's stuck. The Tories and Labour are both run by what were previously their ideological extremes. Both supporters of those extremes think they've got the majority of the public on their side. The politics of both parties are so far away from the moderate supporters of the other party that there's no chance of them switching, even though they aren't that happy with their party. 

A change of leadership from either side might break the logjam but not necessarily in that party's favour. We're a mess of a country.
  • By the way, these results are confirming that Labour backing Remaining in the EU would at this stage be a total disaster outside London, and continuing with Brexit isn't really costing it in London.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Really? It seems to me like they’re losing vote share outside of London anyway. Backing leave doesn’t appear to be helping them.
  • There should be a new party and this guy can be in charge of erm money saving. 
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I saw one poll recently (which was admittedly conducted by a pro-EU group) which suggested that backing leave could see the youth vote decamping en masse for the Lib Dems. This would also be a disaster.
  • Labour’s vote share would plummet from today’s 42 per cent to just 30 per cent if the party is seen to side with  Conservatives in going ahead with Brexit.

The Conservatives would win with a big 12-point lead, revealed the YouGov survey carried out for Our Future, Our Choice.

Labour would also lose support by going all-out anti-Brexit, too — but the damage would be far less severe than if it backed Leave.

Will Dry, a co-founder of Ofoc, said: “This polling shows that when Corbyn does come off the fence, it will be in Labour’s interest to oppose, not appease, the drastic blow to our future that is Brexit.”

This polling shows that he should stay on his fence for as long as possible.
  • What is interesting to me is the distribution of the UKIP councillors.
    The obvious place the votes would go would be Cons as they are they only other party with a chance of offering a hard brexit, or Indie councilors who were UKIP.

As I type UKIP have lost 111 seats, Indie gained 10 and Con 9.

The obvious answer to me is that Cons have gained most of those councilors from UKIP, which means they also lost a lot as well. I suspect Most of Lib's 38 gain are moderate, remain Tories.

So far I think the results are covering up what are really Tory losses.
    The winners in terms of gains are definitely the Lib Dems, which speaks for how strongly people feel on brexit.

Winner of the big two is Labour but not to the margin they wanted.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Reports swirling that Labour may have lost Birmingham.
  • It’ll be the bins.
  • monkey wrote:
    Everything's stuck. The Tories and Labour are both run by what were previously their ideological extremes. Both supporters of those extremes think they've got the majority of the public on their side. The politics of both parties are so far away from the moderate supporters of the other party that there's no chance of them switching, even though they aren't that happy with their party.  A change of leadership from either side might break the logjam but not necessarily in that party's favour. We're a mess of a country.
    monkey wrote:
    This polling shows that he should stay on his fence for as long as possible.
    Think you got closer the second time. Brexit is the logjam. The Tories are lumbered with it and Labour are damned either way to an extent, so they’re just waiting for the Tories to implode.  I do think Labour should be doing a bit more at the moment, but the uncertainty of Brexit is hanging over everything. The country is a mess in many ways, but the risk Cameron took in holding that referendum has properly fucked things for a good while. Running away from his own shitstorm as well – what an irredeemable cunt he was/is.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'd like to know voter turnout. I didn't even know there was local elections until I checked BBC this morning (none in my area).
  • I don’t disagree with your character assessment but I doubt he had any choice. No chance that the Rees-Moggs et al would have let him steer the ship. Edit - @jon
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Arguably, the longer Labour sit on the fence, the less time they have to convince the public of their eventual position. This feels like a short-term tactic in the hopes that public opinion will shift and Labour can shift along with it. Absent much change in public opinion, it feels like it could backfire at a point where a lot of damage has already been done.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd like to know voter turnout. I didn't even know there was local elections until I checked BBC this morning (none in my area).

I think BBC said 36%
  • 70% of the Labour electorate in some London boroughs are Jewish.

A more cynical person than me would suggest that this Labour anti-semitism thing and the blanket coverage of it was rather conveniently timed.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    MoesTavern wrote:
    70% of the Labour electorate in some London boroughs are Jewish.

A more cynical person than me would suggest that this Labour anti-semitism thing and the blanket coverage of it was rather conveniently timed.

Nooo, surely not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!