The British Politics Thread
  • Hunt came out with a cracker of a line about 1/4 of children leaving school not able to read or write properly. You've been in government for 9 years, mate. If that was true (which it isn't) then it's all your fault.
  • Yeah there were a few of those from Hunt and Gove. 
    Both of them have been in the cabinet the entire time I believe, certainly Hunt has.
  • Gove was Cameron’s Secretary of State for education for 4 years, so that’s why the kids are fucked.
  • It's infuriating. Obviously they will spout catchy tidbits but... That reading comment? That comes down to an arbitrary mark out of 50 that children get on a one off, hour long test in Year 6. That test might comprise poetry, or not. If a child gets a 32 they can read properly, if they get a 31 they can't?

Get fucked. It may be the nature of exams but these are Primary aged children and there's a damn lot more to reading than being able to clearly and concisely explain the significance of the old man waving goodbye to the bloody seahorses with a smile on his face (2 marks).
  • Gove wrote the history curriculum himself, didn't he?! The bloody mentalist.
  • I mean, they set the 'pass' grade after the tests have been taken ffs! They bloody well choose how many children can't read properly!!!

@araghwhkwlskqnsnwnbdkejhgreu!
  • It doesn't matter who's in charge of the Tories. The only thing that matters is getting them out.
  • It's not out of the question that Farage will be PM. Of course he won't, I hear you cry, but that's what they said about Trump. But this is different you might argue, but it isn't. Farage won't say "swamp" because it's too American, but apart from that the language will be the same.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Parliamentary politics makes it much harder for Farage than it was for Trump, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Britain's next PM will be decided by a 160,000-strong Tory membership that is 70% male, 97% white, 86% social class ABC1, 50% of whom read the Telegraph or the Daily Mail and who have an average age of 57, according to @ProfTimBale's presentation to an Oxford conference today.

And nearly 60% of whom voted for the Brexit Party in the Euro elections, according to one recent Yougov survey.

https://twitter.com/alantravis40/status/1139949707982180353

yay.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Parliamentary politics makes it much harder for Farage than it was for Trump, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

It does but you can bet on Farage telling everyone how hard they're making it for him, even though it's the same for everyone. The decade of the underdog and there's half a year left. That's plenty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He would also have to give up his cushy MEP job first, ofc.
  • JonB wrote:
    It doesn't matter who's in charge of the Tories. The only thing that matters is getting them out.
    But then it does matter who’s in charge, as that changes the likelihood of doing it.

The good (or horrifying) news I think from that debate is that none of them have got anything like a workable plan. Mainly just combinations of unlikely deal-tweaking to impossible deadlines. Raab is nuts. Gove is preposterous, someone has had a very good go at polishing the Jeremy Hunt rotten turd, Javid is an empty vessel.

Stewart is obviously the best and probably the only one that can get a majority out of them. But that’s really because he’s new and less associated with the unspeakable stuff that he’s been voting for. He still sticks to the script about most stuff, he just does it in a more engaging way than the rest of them. And he at least appears to be nice. Like he could be in a room with a member of the public for 5 minutes without continually looking at his watch. But if he’d been health secretary for 6 years, he’d be awful too.

His Brexit plan of Meaningful Vote 4 might work if he were to win. In as much as Tory opposition would melt away more since the plan has had the direct support of the members. I think if it gets to a two horse race he has a decent chance. Partly because he appeals to elderly garden party women as an ideal son. Partly because he appeals to old, red-nosed sherry soaked tosspots as he did some military stuff and possibly some super secret James Bond spy shit. Partly because Tory members keep getting told by the Liberal elite who they’re inevitably going to vote for. So here you go, here’s Rory Stewart. Sprinkle that on your latte, Kuennsberg.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can I just say that if/when Boris gets in my namesake has nothing to do with him. It’s not my fault folks!!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fuck’s sake b0r1s
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Can I just say that if/when Boris gets in my namesake has nothing to do with him. It’s not my fault folks!!

Ah, the @cosby line of defence
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Rory Stewart's mouth is far to big for his head.
  • so this seems a rather terrifying collection of polls of conservative party members.
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1140885358231609345

Basically, brexit means brexit and is more important than anything, even if it breaks up the UK...with the only exception to brexit if it would lead to Jeremy Corbyn as PM!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Said Laura Kuennsberg never.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Basically, brexit means brexit and is more important than anything, even if it breaks up the UK...with the only exception to brexit if it would lead to Jeremy Corbyn as PM!

Can confirm, based on conversations with my elderly, Express-reading, Mother-in-Law.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s a damn good thing that whoever is the next Tory leader they’ll still have to deal with Parliament.
  • Maybe I am being blindly optimistic here but I just have this feeling if Hunt/Gove/Saaaaaj become PM they will rapidly align the deal to Labour to get it through.
    They wont actually talk to Labour as that is doing a deal with the enemy, they dont really need to anyway, they know the terms.

Anything else but that alignment with Labour is highly likely to lead to a disastrous GE for them. None of these pricks will want to give up PMship that quickly.

They have to either stop Labour calling a motion of no confidence, or find someway to convince remain Tories they arent going to No Deal, without upsetting the ERG. I dont think the latter is possible.
  • I think it's blindly optimistic that anyone other than BoJo is the next leader.

My guess is he'll be even more popular with the members than MPs, so the only real chance he wouldn't get it was if enough MPs backed other candidates...but i'm pretty sure just from the first round that he already has enough backing to be in the 2 that go to the party?
  • Yeah Bojo has nearly half the votes so will be in the live final.
    Even Bojo I'm not sure of his plan though. Once in the hot seat is he really going to give it up? Or will he perform a classic Bojo flip flop?
    He isn't a true believer in Brexit, he is an opportunist who saw a route to power. Once he is PM does he hit the reset button?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s talk doing the rounds that Johnson has so many votes that he’s getting supporters to lend votes to Hunt as he figures Hunt has the least chance with the members.

Democracy in action.
  • I don't think any of them have a plan beyond say what they think will get them in power.
    You're right with BoJo, and i guess that makes him potentially the most dangerous, but also possibly the best chance. the others just mix vileness and idiocy, and would prob just march along towards whatever they think is closest to what they might have said until they hit a wall or lead us into oblivion...BoJo will try to play the crowd and listen to his team, and from there might go full mental, might flip flop, might completely come undone. He's also probably the only one who could actually stop brexit and keep some semblance of control...not that i expect him to obvs, but if he said "actually, now I'm PM i've realised that labour, theresa May and the EU lied to us about leaving the EU and actually we should stay cos that's what's best for Britain, and worse for them" people would probably lap it up.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Ah, the @cosby line of defence

Heh. Forever tainted unless the janitor pops back to sort me out.
  • Plz stop showing Gove in those red shorts. No wonder Boris is ahead.
  • Did Boris get more than half the total votes last time?
  • so this seems a rather terrifying collection of polls of conservative party members. https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1140885358231609345 Basically, brexit means brexit and is more important than anything, even if it breaks up the UK...with the only exception to brexit if it would lead to Jeremy Corbyn as PM!

Absolute fuckwits.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!