The British Politics Thread
  • Could the people at work not propose you? Surely your party must have addresses of supporters/previous voters in the area?
  • n0face wrote:
    It's a bit late in the day surely. I'd of thought you'd be looking to get selected at least 6 months ago and after getting to know local party members and organisers.

The forms were only available a month ago. Everyone else, including the Chorley Parliamentary candidate only handed theirs in today.

No one at work lives in the area, and I don't either, it's the ward over from me. So I don't know anyone personally.
  • What kind of con would involve standing for election as a green party candidate anyway? That would be a particularly lamebrained money-making scam.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    What kind of con would involve standing for election as a green party candidate anyway? That would be a particularly lamebrained money-making scam.

:D She does sound like a daft bitch tbf.

• LarryDavid wrote:
    What kind of con would involve standing for election as a green party candidate anyway? That would be a particularly lamebrained money-making scam.

This is what I thought. I'm assuming that she copied the form when she disappeared, so she has my name and address, and a contact for the party. Literally all I need from anyone is their name, and a signature, nothing more. She asked how I got her details in a very accusatory way, and didn't seem to take 'the electoral roll" as a satisfactory answer.

She seemed to know people who are in the party [one of the neighbours is, and she knew the Parliamentary candidate somehow], but she isn't a party member, because I have the names of the people in the area who are.

I've honestly no idea what she thought was going on. I don't understand at all why she didn't just say no.
  • I work in the ward.
  • He works in that ward.
  • Hah. I need to refresh more often.
  • I don't think any of the parties have decided who is standing in my area yet. Maybe they're all trying to get signatures too.
  • Since you seem to know a bit about it, do the proposer/seconder names get published publicly, or is it only available for the returning officer to check? I wasn't sure about that. Nowhere seems to say.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't mean to sound like a dick, but shouldn't you know all this before deciding to stand, and have already had a proposer and seconder willing to support you?
  • Dante, what council area is it? I'm sure between us we would know a few people in that area who would propose/second you.
  • I don't mean to sound like a dick, but shouldn't you know all this before deciding to stand, and have already had a proposer and seconder willing to support you?

What I was told was that whenever people had stood in the past, they just knocked on doors for half an hour and people were happy to sign. I've been out for about 4 over the last two days.

I was told that the other 8 aren't available publicly, but the proposer and seconder might be - but he wasn't sure. So whenever anyone has asked I've said it is, just in case.

I don't know anyone in the area, but that's the case for quite a lot of the candidates. If I was standing in my ward, I would have had six off the bat, and could have asked my neighbors for the rest, but someone else got mine first.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Dante, what council area is it? I'm sure between us we would know a few people in that area who would propose/second you.

It's the Town Centre ward of Preston Council.
  • Have you cut your hair yet?
  • It's the greens, surely hippy hair is mandatory.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, not aimed solely at you DD, but your advisors should have really done a better job to prepare you.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Miliband's saying that if he gets into power he'll scrap non-dom status. Now there's a policy I can get behind.
  • Cameron's not in any more debates?! I thought he had another one.

Fucking hell, what a slimy cunt. Would love to hear him pressed on why he's not interested in scapping non-dom status.
  • No, he squirmed out of it, and stopped Clegg being in the next one.
  • Cameron's not in any more debates?! I thought he had another one.

Fucking hell, what a slimy cunt. Would love to hear him pressed on why he's not interested in scapping non-dom status.

There is one more TV show with Cameron. It's a multiple leader question time (no head to head or simultaneous leaders I think)

However. Public questions so it's gonna be puff all round.

• Cameron's not in any more debates?! I thought he had another one. Fucking hell, what a slimy cunt. Would love to hear him pressed on why he's not interested in scapping non-dom status.
    It will lose money. I think Labour concede this is a possibility as well, it's meant to be about values and fairness. Tory response to this would be the standard "job creation helping people out of the mire of poverty, healthy economy, black hole in Labour's finances blah blah blah" they respond to every issue with.
  • Where are they all going to go? I believe we are one of the most relaxed about such matters.
  • monkey wrote:
    Cameron's not in any more debates?! I thought he had another one. Fucking hell, what a slimy cunt. Would love to hear him pressed on why he's not interested in scapping non-dom status.
    It will lose money. I think Labour concede this is a possibility as well, it's meant to be about values and fairness. Tory response to this would be the standard "job creation helping people out of the mire of poverty, healthy economy, black hole in Labour's finances blah blah blah" they respond to every issue with.

A point peston pointed out was that non dom confers unfair business advantage which kind of interesting to hear.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think that is labours argument. @n0face
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    It will lose money.

I'm interested to see if it does. There always seems to be a large number of very rich people willing to line up and say 'well, we can just leave' when faced with a policy that costs them money, but when it actually comes into effect, very few actually do. I think that the rich consider more than just tax rates when choosing which country to live in, and Britain has a hell of a lot to offer in comparison to most other countries in regards to political stability, personal safety, quality of education, cultural attractions, even the fact that English is the first language is attractive to many people.

I say do it and see what happens. I mean, even if they do all up sticks and leave and it does end up costing the government money, I won't be too sad to see the backs of the people who are pricing me out of my home.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I say do it and see what happens.
    So do I. 

I'm completely comfortable with the people who don't want to pay standard tax rates leaving the country if that's their choice. They can suck the soul out of some other country. 

Even taking as a given the arguments for accommodating exceptional people to create wealth and raise living standards for the rest of us (which, given that we've been implementing policies to attract these people and inequality is still rising, is clearly a broken credo). But even accepting that argument, I'm positive out of a country of 65 odd million people, that adequate replacements can be found or rise to the top to replace them almost entirely. And these would be people who are civic minded enough to pay a full tax rate. So fuck 'em.
  • It's easy to caricature these people but of course they're just doing perfectly legal stuff that many other people would probably do. I've got no probs with people that are actual non-doms as it stands. I'm not convinced of the benefit to our economy and, more broadly, our society of having a load of investment being generated by people who are only interested in the tax advantages of doing business here.
  • monkey wrote:
    Tory response to this would be the standard "job creation helping people out of the mire of poverty, healthy economy, black hole in Labour's finances blah blah blah" they respond to every issue with.

Great, they can create a load of zero hour contracts.

Got all 10 signatures now, got an appointment to hand it in at 1.30, hopefully it's all in order.
  • Well, just found out that UKIP came second in the vote in my ward.  LibDems came a close third.  Labour came up tops with a very comfortable majority.  

So my vote is entirely useless.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!