• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Go for it!
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Let's see if this works:

https://youtu.be/gNuZL7aFu1M

Used to clear this about 1/10 times, can't recall when I last failed it now. It's an 11*, probably mid-tier, but only really one tricky section, from 1:35 in the vid. That used to finish me totally but now I can just read it, can't say how, just do it. Still struggle but get through it well enough to hit the ending and keep things alive. Feels like a milestone getting consistent clears on Quasar though, it was the OMES (one more extra stage) on IIDX 9th, is a fan favourite and unofficially is one of those 11s where, if you can clear it consistently, you can consider yourself at least straddling the 11 wall, if not over it just yet.

Will try to post more / some better stuff over the next few days.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I lose the ability to comprehend at about 30secs....

Love the presentation of these games - they have a great look to them. I Only ever tried Beatmania on PS1 which got a single official release in PAL as far as I know.
  • Yeah I think one of the original 5Key beatmania games was released over here, maybe as Hip Hop Mania? Back then there was much more of a focus on hip hop and actually being a kinda DJ simulation game. Can't really call IIDX a DJ sim anymore, despite what it says on the controller. The 5Key games still have a fairly large following and just recently got working properly on mame I think.

Have to say I'm a fan of the presentation too, for the most part, always slick and crisp. Each yearly release since 11th has a theme too, which keeps things interesting. I particularly like the intro to 15th, themed around military stuff:

Dude has the controller buttons on his gun :) 

The main artist for the series, Goli, is good too although borderline weeb/hentai, guess he knows his audience. The next installment (25th) is out in JP on Thursday, poster artwork doing the rounds: https://twitter.com/autobahn_oto/status/940761886064340992

Teenage me would've been fap happy at that effort.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This is what I had.

155880_front.jpg
  • Ah nice, yeah a search tells me HipHop Mania was the NA release.

I actually started playing on one of those 5Key controllers, on IIDX using 5K mode, got it off my at-the-time gf. The turntable position was awkward to get used to as I was playing 1p side, so tt meant to be on the left. Original 5K beatmania had the tt on the right for both p1 and p2, it's a reason many of the really old school players play on p2 side on IIDX, it's what they're used to.

Came across this just now looking at 5k on youtube, love how 90s it is... no idea why it has a bloke taking a shit at 2.30 tho. Also no idea why they really need a 40min video to explain how to play.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The PS1 game had a Double mode which required one player using 2 controllers. Of course I had to get a second controller to try that out.
  • Doubles mode has been in since the start I think, not as many people play it as singles but a fair amount still do.

It's fucking difficult.

You basically have to re-learn the game from scratch. There are a few dp players at the arcade I go to but I don't think anyone over here mains dp as their standard. I have an arcade controller and a home controller so did used to try a bit but it was hugely frustrating at the time, going back to level 1 and 2 songs and failing :/

A lot of players try it out a bit when they hit a plateau. I may have a snifter of it again over the festive period.

This is a super old vid but he's still the best dp player in the world, I think:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Insane.
  • Gonna ghetto stream (cam job) some IIDX in about 15 mins if anyone's interested:

https://www.twitch.tv/nmdja

Gonna push 11s and attempt some 12s mayber. Playing the greatest hits disc covering 1st to 15th games.
  • 40min wait for the iidx cab just now, bollocks. I only stopped in as I was passing but fuck waiting 40mins for a game when I can go home, blaze a doob and play the cs version as much as I want. I always feel shitty for ducking out when it's busy instead of chatting to some of the other players but tbh they aren't the most social bunch and it's loud enough down there to make convo a chore. Gonna head down in the am on a workday in the week I think, make the most of my extra days off.

At least my ac game is improving a little, it seems.
  • First world problems etc
  • nick_md wrote:
    Let's see if this works:

https://youtu.be/gNuZL7aFu1M

Used to clear this about 1/10 times, can't recall when I last failed it now. It's an 11*, probably mid-tier, but only really one tricky section, from 1:35 in the vid. That used to finish me totally but now I can just read it, can't say how, just do it. Still struggle but get through it well enough to hit the ending and keep things alive. Feels like a milestone getting consistent clears on Quasar though, it was the OMES (one more extra stage) on IIDX 9th, is a fan favourite and unofficially is one of those 11s where, if you can clear it consistently, you can consider yourself at least straddling the 11 wall, if not over it just yet.

Will try to post more / some better stuff over the next few days.

Gadzooks! That's impressive.
  • Cheers pal, it's harder than it looks. (that's a lie, it's actually easy once you get the knack).

Chipped down to the arcade today as I had the day off and a mid-afternoon Wednesday seemed like the best time to go and have the place to myself. Was a few mans in playing pool when I arrived but no one on IIDX, grand.

Played a warm up round then noticed someone watching in the reflection of the monitor. Great, I thought, some chump here I'll have to wait for as he plays. Turn around and it was this guy:

hM7F6Ou.jpg

Granted that doesn't mean anything to anyone, but this guy is an American called CstarFlare. When I started playing IIDX about 11 years ago, CstarFlare was the #1 US player, the guy who was revered on all the forums I lurked. This guy had the only known clear on IIDX 10th Hell Course (a fucking feat) and, AND, his scores were included in IIDX 11th home version Japanese internet ranking, which frankly is mindblowing.

He's a sound guy and we both chatted about how fuck going to the arcade on a weekend or evening, waiting 40 mins or so for a game. Go on a mid-week afternoon, rinse the bastard.

Whilst he was playing a completely random young US tourist came in, nice lad from Virginia. He was asking me questions about IIDX as he'd never seen it before. Spent the next half hour with Cstar showing this kid how to play, setting the machine up for him and trying to explain to him not worry, just hit the buttons, it starts off easy. A grand afternoon in all.

No idea why I'm sharing this other than my own amazement at bumping into someone who I 'knew' from lurking a forum over a decade ago, then bumped into in a London arcade, then passed on IIDX knowledge with to a newbie. Good times.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Cheers pal, it's harder than it looks. (that's a lie, it's actually easy once you get the knack). Chipped down to the arcade today as I had the day off and a mid-afternoon Wednesday seemed like the best time to go and have the place to myself. Was a few mans in playing pool when I arrived but no one on IIDX, grand. Played a warm up round then noticed someone watching in the reflection of the monitor. Great, I thought, some chump here I'll have to wait for as he plays. Turn around and it was this guy: hM7F6Ou.jpg Granted that doesn't mean anything to anyone, but this guy is an American called CstarFlare. When I started playing IIDX about 11 years ago, CstarFlare was the #1 US player, the guy who was revered on all the forums I lurked. This guy had the only known clear on IIDX 10th Hell Course in the West (a fucking feat) and, AND, his scores were included in IIDX 11th home version Japanese internet ranking, which frankly is mindblowing. He's a sound guy and we both chatted about how fuck going to the arcade on a weekend or evening, waiting 40 mins or so for a game. Go on a mid-week afternoon, rinse the bastard. Whilst he was playing a completely random young US tourist came in, nice lad from Virginia. He was asking me questions about IIDX as he'd never seen it before. Spent the next half hour with Cstar showing this kid how to play, setting the machine up for him and trying to explain to him not worry, just hit the buttons, it starts off easy. A grand afternoon in all. No idea why I'm sharing this other than my own amazement at bumping into someone who I 'knew' from lurking a forum over a decade ago, then bumped into in a London arcade, then passed on IIDX knowledge with to a newbie. Good times.
  • well that worked well.
  • That's lovely (i wrote that in about 3 different ways, all of them sounded sarcastic, i am not being sarcastic)
  • Sounds like a great day to me.
    Id be in awe of a guy like him and maybe a little of you too nick if i watched yous play.
  • The tourist was all, "you guys are great at this!" and I'm like, "yeah...um... thanks".

Seriously this Cstar guy is legit, I'm a nothing in comparison. Lots of people (not me) can hard-mode clear all the 12s, but to have your scores included in the Japanese PS2 ranking database is something else entirely. Like, seriously next level. He's the first to say he's rusty as fuck, and there are better players in the London scene now (PS2 11th was about 13 years ago), but it's kinda like seeing Real Ronaldo (Brazilian) when you're having a kick around and him saying "yeah but I'm not as good as new Ronaldo these days".
  • Hahahahaha yeh i get that.
    Keep it up though, those 12s will come pal.
  • digi wrote:
    Hahahahaha yeh i get that. Keep it up though, those 12s will come pal.

Cheers pal, they're coming slowly but surely :)

Also, some people...

• Just got 10th Dan on DJ Troopers, pretty fucking happy (actual whooping and hell-yeah-ing in the living room):

FNms05S.jpg

Dan courses are what you'd imagine from the name (martial arts), they're courses of 4 songs designed to test your ability. It goes from 7th Kyu up to 1st Kyu, then from 1st Dan to 10th Dan, then Kaiden (grand master).

Pretty fucking made up with that. Really happy.

I won't ever be getting Kaiden though, that's for sure. There are people at the arcade who are waaaaay better than me in every way who tell me they'll never get Kaiden. A bit demoralising. Konami actually introduced a class between 10th Dan and Kaiden called Chuuden, as a stepping stone, simply because the jump from 10th Dan to Kaiden is ridiculous. As a predominantly CS (consumer software / home version) player I don't really count it for me though because it wasn't introduced until a couple of years ago so doesn't exist on CS. Plus I like to think of myself as one class away from Kaiden :)

Let me have this okay?!
  • Haha you met Fat Ronaldo? Awesome.
  • I'm gonna call him that next time I bump into him :)
  • Don't worry lads, I haven't stopped playing.

Far from it actually, been playing a mad load. I find it incredible my progression since returning to the game. I was literally at the 11 wall for years before I stopped playing (due to moving into a studio with gf, not too keen on hammering buttons to music for hours a day). Since starting again ~6 months ago I've got well over the 11 wall and cleared a bunch more 12s. I never used to enjoy playing 12s, they were just far, far too difficult. Now it all makes sense, or at least I can see how they make sense, even if I physically fail at the execution.

I got an Easy Gauge clear on this song the other day..

...a real milestone for me. I genuinely never believed I'd ever be able to even comprehend the chart, let alone be able to pass it, in any sense. Did it fairly easily the other day. Whoop.

And I'm still making gains all the time, it seems. I'm re-passing 12s that I fluked before, I'm Hard Gauge clearing 11s that I fluked before, I'm just generally more comfortable and nailing stuff that before was impossible.

Damn I love this game.

The song linked above is a 12 but players say 12s really should go from 12 --> ~15, in terms of difficulty. There's a vast, vast difference in an easy 12 and a hard 12, more than other difficulties. The above track (AA) is like a 13 or so. I genuinely had resigned myself to never being a 12s player and, now I'm actually doing it, I feel like I've much more potential.

Gonna keep cracking on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @nick_md

You'd probably like this...posted by @DynamiteReady in the classical music thread.

and there's more...

• Yeah saw that in the Classical thread, enjoyable to watch! There are quite a few games like this in Japan but I've never played any of them, I'm too old to learn new tricks now I think, and the tricks I do know are getting kinda half-arsed as it is. I'm waiting on my gaming second wind to hit in my 40s at this point, I think.
  • I think this was the dumbest and most expensive peripheral I ever bought.

For a game that died a death shortly afterwards.

15050956932_3a12e27abc_c.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I preferred DJ Hero out of all those plastic instrument games. It was beautifully presented and was more than just button pressing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!